Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 10:45 AM

550 posts, read 2,825,849 times

Advertisements

We are going camping (well, in a tent trailer) in 3 weeks. We will be gone for almost 3 weeks. I am going to try and not eat out hardly ever so I need some ideas on what to cook.

Do you have any family camping favorites? My favorite to cook is shishkabob (sp?) on the camp fire and subs for lunch. Oh yes and smores of course!

Any ideas would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 11:27 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,619 times
One night for dessert you could make grilled pineapple. Cut FRESH pineapple in slices/strips. Dip in melted margarine and coat with cinnamon/sugar mix. Grill.

Note: If you are going to cut this very far in advance, squeeze some lemon juice over it so it won't turn brown.

Vegetables on the grill are good. I cut up squash, eggplant and zucchini and marinate them in Italian dressing mixed with garlic powder and some basil. Just put them in a ziploc and let them sit in your cooler/refrigerator for 2 or 3 hours. I have also done this with cucumbers, fresh mushrooms and tomatoes, but with the mushrooms and tomatoes, I put that no-stick foil on the grill so they don't fall apart and slide through the grill grate.

Another good recipe I like to make when camping (we camp in the rough rather than in an RV). Put a hamburger patty, an ear of corn, diced potatoes, chopped or sliced onions all in heavy aluminum all together.... sprinkle with salt and pepper, chives, parsley, and onion powder....make sure you seal this package tight and I usually put at least three layers of heavy duty foil around this. Make one of these packets for each person. I then stick in down in the wood fire (rather than on the grill although you can also cook it on top of the grate) and let it cook. I turn it about every 10 minutes. It usually takes about 30 to 50 minutes depending on how big you cut the vegetables. I always squeeze the packet, using a heavy pot holder, and if the potatoes will mush, then it's done.

You have to have good old hotdogs cooked on sticks over a wood fire. I don't even like hotdogs but when camping and cooked this way they are wonderful!!!!

Wahhhhhhhh.... makes me want to go right now....but not until the last weekend in July....we have rented a rustic cabin on a lake (in the woods) at a state park and are going with our kids and grandkids. Yay...no phone, no tv, no computer , no bathrooms except outhouse LOL

Old 05-30-2007, 11:39 AM

Your hamburger idea is wonderful! I am excited to try that. Thanks for all your ideas!

We are bringing our lap top for movies. As hard as we try to go rustic it is so much easier to have movies for the kids. Especially if it rains a lot!

Old 05-30-2007, 11:47 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Default Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoe View Post
We are going camping (well, in a tent trailer) in 3 weeks. We will be gone for almost 3 weeks. I am going to try and not eat out hardly ever so I need some ideas on what to cook.

Do you have any family camping favorites? My favorite to cook is shishkabob (sp?) on the camp fire and subs for lunch. Oh yes and smores of course!

Any ideas would be appreciated!
Here's a link that may have some suggestions>>>
FabulousFoods.com: Campers (http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/Campers/ - broken link)

It is really a lot of work to grill but food tastes so much better.

Can you plug in a crockpot in your camper during the day? Hopefully your family enjoys 'pitching in'/helping with chores--thinking of pans to be cleaned after hearty breakfasts and dinners, etc..

Have a good trip.

sls

Old 05-30-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Can you plug in a crockpot in your camper during the day?
Hey I never thought of that! We are going to sites this time that have plug ins. Thanks for bringing that up! Pot roast time!!

Old 06-04-2007, 12:41 PM

143 posts, read 577,584 times
They go by many names Silver turtles, hobos but kids love to help prepare. just place a portion of hamburger or chicken in foil and add desired vegetables We like corn, potatoes, carrots, string beans etc. wrap it all up and place on hot coals about 10-15 min. Eat right out of foil. easy clean up and filling dinner.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:48 AM

279 posts, read 1,859,550 times
There are camping cookbooks out there. And lots of websites. We camp (in our trailer) and I usually just make the more simple stuff that I make at home. Nothing really that has to be made because we are camping, like that open fire bread toast maker we bought for some dumb reason.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:55 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,728,348 times
Here is what I do when I cook food on a campfire. Chicken? Throw in some sliced onions, pepper, orange juice and whatever you like in a foil bag. Put it directly into the pit. You can cook many things this way. Hot Dogs, steaks, potatoes etc.

Foil Bag will get it done everytime.

Oh and I forgot, TEXAS TOAST!

Old 06-06-2007, 03:09 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,941 times
If you have a Broiler Basket you can cook a zillion things over the fire or grill. You can pick one up at Camping World or one of the supply places. Using canned apple pie mix, add a little cinnamon and brown sugar to taste.

Spread butter on 2 pieces of white bread (like you are making grilled cheese). On the unbuttered side of one slice, spread apple pie mix and cover with 2nd slice. Place in grille basket and cook over fire until bread is toasted.

Voila! Hot Apple pie.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:30 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times
We grilled some sausages over the fire and then on our camping stove did a Zatarain's jambalaya mix, threw in some shrimp and the sausage and it was tasty!

We also like to make quesadillas on the camping stove, along with pasta ronis, french toast for breakfast....

We also do the hobo dinners, although last time we took a foil container, but in beef stew meat, carrots, onions, mushrooms, cream of mushroom soup, beer, and pepper and covered it in foil, put it on the grill and let it cook for an hour or so....it was delicious!!

Oh yeah....and beer brats with saukraut too! WE LOVE CAMPING AND COOKING!!

p.s. try s'mores with peanut butter cups instead of Hershey's....YUM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes