Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:06 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,455,255 times

Advertisements

It's too late so just throwing it out there something that's been on my mind.

I was a training class, people there were anywhere from 20 to 60 years old. There was one woman, very tiny, thin, short buzz cut, androgynous type. She manages to make almost everyone feel that they are becoming her best friend. This is not a high school by any means, and people are training to get a job. Yet this whole circle of light emerges where she is the center of. She definitely makes the place more fun to be in, and I am still not sure how she does it.... not very consciously I think.

This training for many people is a temporary stop to move on onto better jobs when an opportunity arises. So she does the same, just disappears one day, and the pain of emptiness in the classroom is pure physical. Not so much with me, as I have been more of aloof in that class... But it does seem like the environment is duller... The younger married guy wanders to me and asks me, if I heard anything from her. The pain of loss in his body language is unreal. I tell him that he did "friend" her on Facebook (I don't do Facebook) so why doesn't he ask her himself.

I go and check out her FB page. She's got tons of friends, lots of them I think are like us, temporary in her life. I figured out that she is mostly looking after herself, moving from place to place (homes and jobs) to make her and her daughter's life better. In the process, though, she touches people in this weird way that leaves deep impression on people. I still don't know whether she is doing it on purpose, or if she doesn't even know that she possesses something. She must have an idea, though, from all those FB requests.

I go for a blood test and meet her working there at a hospital. We do a little chat but we both know that we won't "keep in touch" as we say. This whole thing leaves me puzzled, after years of conditioning that "all people are unique and valuable". Yet some of them have undeniable - animal? social? - magnetism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 09:18 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
This whole thing leaves me puzzled, after years of conditioning that "all people are unique and valuable".
I can't help you here as I don't believe in this. Unique they are... since it means "one of a kind." "Of value"... not necessarily.

Quote:
Yet some of them have undeniable - animal? social? - magnetism.
Yes, some are charismatic and some are not! I think it's easy to tell when it's natural and when some just try too hard to be liked by all, which is quite pathetic in my book. Being charismatic is not necessarily a sign of being a good person, though. Some of the biggest sociopath are very charismatic!

Old 06-16-2010, 09:21 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
People tell me I have irresistible charisma. That was an actual quote.

I already knew it, but knew it in a different way. I just take control of every conversation, even in a group of 10. This is a reason other guys hate me, coz 2 minutes into the gathering, everyone's listening to my musings. It's not my fault that I have the gift of the gab

Old 06-16-2010, 09:23 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

I already knew it, but knew it in a different way. I just take control of every conversation, even in a group of 10. This is a reason other guys hate me, coz 2 minutes into the gathering, everyone's listening to my musings. It's not my fault that I have the gift of the gab
You sure they didn't say "mighty annoying"...?

Old 06-16-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You sure they didn't say "mighty annoying"...?
<offers Si a hug and a passionate kiss of all kisses>

Old 06-16-2010, 09:29 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
It's too late so just throwing it out there something that's been on my mind.

I was a training class, people there were anywhere from 20 to 60 years old. There was one woman, very tiny, thin, short buzz cut, androgynous type. She manages to make almost everyone feel that they are becoming her best friend. This is not a high school by any means, and people are training to get a job. Yet this whole circle of light emerges where she is the center of. She definitely makes the place more fun to be in, and I am still not sure how she does it.... not very consciously I think.

This training for many people is a temporary stop to move on onto better jobs when an opportunity arises. So she does the same, just disappears one day, and the pain of emptiness in the classroom is pure physical. Not so much with me, as I have been more of aloof in that class... But it does seem like the environment is duller... The younger married guy wanders to me and asks me, if I heard anything from her. The pain of loss in his body language is unreal. I tell him that he did "friend" her on Facebook (I don't do Facebook) so why doesn't he ask her himself.

I go and check out her FB page. She's got tons of friends, lots of them I think are like us, temporary in her life. I figured out that she is mostly looking after herself, moving from place to place (homes and jobs) to make her and her daughter's life better. In the process, though, she touches people in this weird way that leaves deep impression on people. I still don't know whether she is doing it on purpose, or if she doesn't even know that she possesses something. She must have an idea, though, from all those FB requests.

I go for a blood test and meet her working there at a hospital. We do a little chat but we both know that we won't "keep in touch" as we say. This whole thing leaves me puzzled, after years of conditioning that "all people are unique and valuable". Yet some of them have undeniable - animal? social? - magnetism.
Not to boast, but I tend to have it. My co-workers swarm me when I come in. It's called good social skills and well with communicating.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:30 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,328,204 times
Quote:

BS'ers also possess this ability!

Old 06-16-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
BS'ers also possess this ability!
With the right delivery techniques and body language, BS becomes oration

Some people take it one step further with a device they nowadays call a teleprompter LMAO

I'm Antlered Chamataka and I approve this message

Old 06-16-2010, 09:39 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,455,255 times
Quote:
I can't help you here as I don't believe in this. Unique they are... since it means "one of a kind." "Of value"... not necessarily.
Ha ha. My 1st grader has a class where they are taught that every one of them is valuable. Basic foundation training. Kinda nice foundation. Let the skepticism arrive much, much later.

Quote:
Being charismatic is not necessarily a sign of being a good person, though. Some of the biggest sociopath are very charismatic!
When we met last time when she worked at the hospital, I noticed a glint of "I don't really need you anymore" half-thinking in her eyes... I don't really care, it is just puzzling if that was an act? - no once can do that kind of act without some pre-disposition. She must have basic charisma, and then re-enforces it with her friendliness.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:40 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,328,204 times
Quote:
With the right delivery techniques and body language, BS becomes oration

Some people take it one step further with a device they nowadays call a teleprompter LMAO

I'm Antlered Chamataka and I approve this message
LOL....You've got my vote babe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships