Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 05:34 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times

Advertisements

YouTube - beauty school drop out grease

You people are taking things way out of context and throwing stuff way out of proportion. You're so freaking emotional, that you're not even making sense. Which indicates your lack of reasoning ability.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:48 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
First of all, O clairvoyant one, who imparted the bullcrap knowledge unto you that states 'real men don't drink beer, lay bricks, or pour cement?'

You probably just indirectly insulted a LOT of guys here on City Data...and what is this stuff about 'REAL LADIES'? There's another stereotype, laying in the weeds...and you could, indeed, put up a poll, and you'd probably be 'deceased incorrect' AKA dead wrong...

And also, for sake of argument, I work for a printing ink company...my dad was a WW2 pilot, bus driver, and firefighter...his dad, and my Mom's dad, both busted their a**es for many years working in foundries and factories...my youngest brother is a firefighter, and my 2 older brothers are retired cops...the thread running through all that is, myself included, NONE of those guys were 'doctors, lawyers, rich athletes, businessmen, or other professionals'---they/we all met and married wonderful women who could give a pint of baboon sweat what they did/do for a living...current generation STILL married to said women...

So, as Tommy Lee Jones said to the obviously misinformed cop in 'The Fugitive'---wanna change your bulls**t story (theory) now?...just beacuse a guy isn't one of the 'chosen' or 'the landed gentry', and maybe hoists a brewski or two, or loves to watch Dale Jr or Kyle or Jimmie do the NASCAR do, doesn't make him ANY LESS of a man, polls and stereotypes be damned
Reality check my foot! It's all in your head. You need to read some books and stop being so emotional. Why are you lumping cops and firemen with guys who flip burgers or pour cement? Cops and firemen have some ambition; they do have worthwile pursuits such as the things they do for the community, etc..

All I am saying is that guys who have NO ambition (assuming that's what the OP is up against) and NO education, lessen their chances at landing a sophisticated, career driven lady. I did not say they/you could not land any lady; obviously anything is possible as there are equally uninspired females. We could put up a poll if you want to go there, to see how many women on this board would pick a bricklayer, pizza deliverer (or even a cop) over a CEO or M.D. or rich athletes/entertainers or other successful professional. I'm not really going to argue with anybody who has little to no higher education.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:25 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,252,780 times

YouTube - AC/DC - Fire Your Guns

Old 07-15-2010, 08:19 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Reality check my foot! It's all in your head. You need to read some books and stop being so emotional. Why are you lumping cops and firemen with guys who flip burgers or pour cement? Cops and firemen have some ambition; they do have worthwile pursuits such as the things they do for the community, etc..

All I am saying is that guys who have NO ambition (assuming that's what the OP is up against) and NO education, lessen their chances at landing a sophisticated, career driven lady. I did not say they/you could not land any lady; obviously anything is possible as there are equally uninspired females. We could put up a poll if you want to go there, to see how many women on this board would pick a bricklayer, pizza deliverer (or even a cop) over a CEO or M.D. or rich athletes/entertainers or other successful professional. I'm not really going to argue with anybody who has little to no higher education.
I don't remember the OP saying he had no ambition, just that he has less education. My ex never finished his college degree and he had a MUCH more important job than mine and made twice as much money.

Coming from someone who has one, a college degree isn't all that special in the grand scheme of things.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:25 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
The sad thing is there are a number of people that really think the way he does. They go to college either right out of high school or in their early twenties...they think they know everything and are better than people that didn't go to college. He doesn't even know anything about women, poor guy. I see women all the time that like the more rugged guys with blue collar jobs.
I have a degree and a decent career, but guess what? I don't like it! If a rugged guy (or THE Rugged guy ) has a blue collar job that he enjoys, more power to him.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:48 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I'm not really going to argue with anybody who has little to no higher education.
Well, than you won't want to respond to me because I dropped out of school at the start to tenth grade. /lol

I've been quite successful financially and professionally. I have friends and co-workers who are Ph.D's who have no idea, and I have no school loans.

I'm a professional and would date a blue collar worker. As has been pointed out to you many make very good money, are extremely hard-working, and smart. Sure, a lot aren't, but to look down on people becasue of what they do is asinine. I have a lot of friends who work in skilled trades who are extremely intelligent and interesting.

In a lot of ways, I can't help but think your education has failed you greatly.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:59 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,252,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, than you won't want to respond to me because I dropped out of school at the start to tenth grade. /lol

I've been quite successful financially and professionally. I have friends and co-workers who are Ph.D's who have no idea, and I have no school loans.

I'm a professional and would date a blue collar worker. As has been pointed out to you many make very good money, are extremely hard-working, and smart. Sure, a lot aren't, but to look down on people becasue of what they do is asinine. I have a lot of friends who work in skilled trades who are extremely intelligent and interesting.

In a lot of ways, I can't help but think your education has failed you greatly.
I was thinking it was the slim build!LMAO.......

Old 07-15-2010, 09:27 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
It was all of the AC service talk that got to her.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:38 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
I come from a strange family in a sense... my dad was career military when he met my mom, and I spent the first few years of my life on bases. He went to community college, did well enough that he got into Yale... he has a master's from Yale, and doctorate from Harvard, but he's a high school teacher by trade, and he stayed in the reserves because he wanted some attachment to how he'd spent the first 45 years of his life, and then he did a tour in Iraq this time around.

My dad's side is mostly military, and my mom's side are manual laborers. Her dad was the Army heavyweight boxing champion during the Korean war. She is a psychiatrist who went to Seattle University and Yale.

I grew up with an interesting juxtaposition of philosophy and intellectualism, and military base utilitarianism. My parents inadvertantly ruined church for me when my mom suggested I read Viktor Frankl's "Man's Search For Meaning" when I was about 8 and asked a question about World War Two (she only intended me to read the first half of it...). My dad showed me how to clean and shoot a rifle when I was nine, and we would discuss Shakespeare's works on the way to the range (or the local shooting hole, depending where we lived). It was an interesting upbringing.

Despite all this, school wasn't for me. Gifted schools all through my youth and extremely high test scores, etc. etc. etc., but I was a horrific student and spent most of the year-and-a-quarter I was in high school skipping class, sleeping, writing, or doing illustrations at my desk. I left a couple weeks after I turned sixteen and legally could, and then petitioned the school board for my diploma (which I got). Then, I started going to art school at my parents' urging, because of my artistic leanings.

Between then and now, I have moved across the country (from Boston to Los Angeles) on my own at 18, with no family assistance. My dad and I didn't really talk from 13 to 18 due to that whole church thing, so I spent a lot of my teens trying to figure out how to be a man via trial and error. I knocked up my gf and started selling cars because it was fast money during the credit boom and not only was no one going to just magically give me money, nor did I want them to. Ex miscarried, I kept selling cars, became the youngest sales manager in the US for the luxury car manufacturer I worked for and travelled all over the southwest doing internal sales, quit to pursue my education again, ex left me when the money quit flowing, learned Japanese on a whim, did some art school, got into a nursing program, worked for the county coroner's office picking up dead people off the 405 and whatnot, decided to take a break from medicine, and now I manage a boutique hotel in San Francisco's Union Square, own my dream car, and live in one of my favorite places in the world. I do absolutely fine for myself and have enjoyed countless experiences; I've also enjoyed some major failures and bad calls along the way, but ultimately, I'm very content with my life, the direction it's going in, and how things have ended up.

Still don't have a degree. Maybe someday.

Anyone who accuses me of having no ambition or writes off my intellect, tact, or cleverness because I didn't spend four to eight years straight in classrooms at a top-ten university is welcome to make such a judgement call. It has little to no bearing on my compass.

For the record, I have a dear friend whom I met while she was attending prelaw at UCLA, and is now pursuing a law degree at the University of Washington. For the first three years I knew her, she was endlessly wangsting about how she couldn't find her "Mr. Right." Mr. Right was very staunchly:

- A successful lawyer who either was a partner in a firm, or worked in a top-tier corporate law firm;
- Was in his late thirties;
- Loved children, was good with them, and was ready to have a family right then and there;
- In being ready to have a family, owned a house (not a condo or a nice apartment) and had a high-end luxury sedan (not a sports car - too immature!);
- Willing to take a very active parenting role so she could finish law school;
- In tip-top shape and into yoga, neo-spirituality, etc;

And a whole host of other things. Suffice to say there are probably 10-12 men who fit this description alive in America right now, and probably all are taken by women of equally superhuman qualities.

She is now with a man who:

- Worked as a chef for a few years;
- Got a certificate in HVAC construction and maintenance;
- Works in HVAC construction and maintenance;
- Plays in a band that plays seedy bars Fridays and Saturdays;
- Lives in an apartment;
- Loves kids but doesn't want any, is content with their cats;
- Drives an early-90's Toyota pickup;
- Thinks yoga is "gay;"
- Doesn't get her spirituality, but accepts it.

She's happier than she ever imagined she would be, and it's clear that's the case when you see them together.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:42 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
It's a house that's always under renvoation. /roflmao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships