Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 03:10 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,315,264 times

Advertisements

You can love someone, but still be extremely incompatible.

I know a couple who are complete opposites. In the beginning, it helped to attract them, but it now works to repel (her at least). You see, he is overly passive fella; to the point that would drive even the most normal person insane! The man does not have friends outside of the marriage, and has made this woman his whole world. He does not make an effort, nor does he feel the need to to bond with any other males. He has also heaped the majority of the child-rearing responsibility on her. And, he is very dependent on her for just about everything except, of course, a paycheck.

She stays for their children, love, security, and fear. You can tell that he is blissfully happy and she is just hanging in there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 03:15 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I've seen a few guys just turn into complete messes once they got divorced. They couldn't cook, clean, pay their bills, etc. because they were so used to their wives doing that stuff. Being with the wrong person can be pretty awful. But for some people, that still beats being alone.
I've always been amazed and how many men will get a divorce and 60 days later marry the 1st woman who comes into their lives. They never establish themselves as an I before they become a We.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:09 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,318,958 times
All of this "leaving stuff" is getting to me...Guess I'm more into trying to work things out today versus leaving and walking out...I did this when I was younger...I just felt entitled to walk out...I'm sure glad that I stuck it out thru thick and thin with my last husband...We had 25 plus years together before he passed away. I'm glad that I didn't get into the "grass might be greener on the other side" mentality this time around and worked hard to make my marriage happy thru the years despite problems that popped up at times....I don't think people should stay in unhappy marriages and suffer and suffer....But the truth is that marriage requires a lot of work and effort...Spouses have to find a way to stay connected and stay friends...and stay in love no matter what....

Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,932,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
It's my husband who is gone now. He passed away 3 weeks ago....but our love for each other lives on in my heart and mind....I'm glad we didn't settle for a blah life and marriage.
I have no words for your loss better than I'm sorry.

But for your wisdom, I have two words:

Thank you.

I have anything but a blah relationship with my SO. So much so that I'm convinced we would have anything but a blah marriage together if we should marry down the road apiece.

You had something an awful lot of us would envy and an awful lot of other people would never understand. And so long as you hold that in your heart, your husband will never be far away from you.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:06 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,932,477 times
Just for the record, folks . . .

Comfortably numb has a place---in the Pink Floyd song of the same name.

Not in love and marriage.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:15 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerMCMLV View Post

Yep, we've all been humming that tune for the last 2 days since this thread popped up. Now I can't get it out of my head.

It is a classic.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:09 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
My wife and I recently saw a counselor recently over an Elephant in the room issue we were having trouble discussing and make go away. One of the questions she asked is...

"Are you putting enough into the marriage to maintain the bare minimum or too have the relationship grow and thrive ?"

Upon reflection, we found recently we were putting in just enough effort to just maintain the bare minimum. After this was pointed out, we've been working hard at it making it grow and thrive.

We were comfortably numb, complacent and distracted.
I think marriage proposals to other women on this forum aren't going to help much.

All joking aside, what did they tell you to do to work hard to make it grow and thrive?

Old 08-13-2010, 03:38 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,076,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Sometimes feeling numb after a lot of action is a good thing.
Yep, ditto. I'd rather be bored and comfortably numb than constant drama, lies, cheating, being left, etc. etc.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:18 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,959,573 times
In my marriage I have tried to get her to fix the foundation part before we start building.

My thoughts are that nothing will ever stand on a rocky foundation. However, she feels there is nothing wrong with her end of the foundation. So we sit.

She is constantly wanting to build something. I just can't. First things first.

Am not expecting a perfectly level relationship. Just one I know I can see still standing years later without a small wind blowing it over.

Medication can fix her problems...I'm sure of it.

I think alot of people stay in it for the kids like me.

When he's old enough to leave the home we will finally bury the crooked foundation that was started years ago.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:21 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,959,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerMCMLV View Post

How bout just "NUMB"

Love that song.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships