Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:55 PM

186 posts, read 352,683 times

Advertisements

Is it ok to flirt with other people when you are married?? If the answer is yes--how far do we go with the flirting??? Touching hand??? Winks?? Flirty Smile??? Blowing kisses???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 11:22 PM

145 posts, read 519,289 times
A spouse's flirting may be a sign of insecurity or an outlet for self destructive behavior. A married couple brings home decisions made independently throughout their day. The trust a spouse has in the other has to be whole-hearted and given completely. If your partner is a flirt then you need to learn if they are truly committed to your relationship or just afraid of being alone. To continually test your desirability is like reading the first page of a novel over and over. You don't retain a thing making the next page meaningless. Flirting can happen innocently and be interpreted as a compliment. To actively pursue the opportunity I think is a fixation on the hunt.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:57 PM

788 posts, read 4,067,481 times
Some couples are okay with flirting, and some are not. I don't think it's right; it breeds mistrust and insecurity and can often seem like a come on. I think the problem is is that some spouses think because they are married, and the people they are flirting with know this, they think it won't be taken seriously, so it is okay--they just assume that other people just know that he or she would never cheat. However, many people do take it seriously.

I think my husband does occasionally come off as a flirt, especially if he has been drinking; I think he likes the attention. I find it to be incredibly disrespectful and hurtful. When I try to address it with him, he either says he wasn't flirting, or that I don't trust him which becomes a huge huge issue. I would dismiss what he says as bullsh*t, if I didn't have similar issues with past boyfriends--I thought they were flirtatious or worried that they would or were cheating on me, and their responses were the same. This all stems from two horrible past experiences with men--being cheated on and lied to, as well as a sexual assault. So I do my best to let go and trust, but I don't think I will ever get to a place with anyone in which I could say "I know so and so would never do this or that." I just don't believe we ever really "know", but we can certainly take a leap of faith and believe.

Sorry to be so personal--apparently this topic hit a nerve with me!

Old 06-27-2007, 01:00 AM

550 posts, read 2,824,937 times
I think it is healthy to flirt.

I have full trust in my husband. I know he loves me and he will always be with me. It is unrealistic to think that he won't flirt. It is unrealistic to think that I won't flirt. He works a lot, I am out with the kids at their sporting events. There are guys who flirt with me and I am totally okay with it. I know I would never do anything to hurt my husband so who cares? I don't flirt in an overly sexual way nor do I give the guys the impression that they could ever get anywhere with me.

Just because we are married does not mean we have to walk around with our heads to the ground.

I love the fact that a guy and I can have an upbeat conversation and then I get to come home to the man I love. Flirting is just a way to feel alive in a innocent way.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:25 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,082 times
A little harmless flirting? fine.

touching, or Intent to take it to the next level? red flag

Old 06-27-2007, 08:25 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times
You should add a poll maybe. But, yes to an extent. No touching or too much with the same person. Obviously that gives them the WRONG impression and it would your spouse.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:45 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
If you can tell the difference between flirting and FLIRTING, then it's OK and fun. My husband and I do it all the time, even when we are sitting or standing close together. However, never would I do any serious flirting with someone who might take it seriously.

If you don't know the difference or don't know how another person (including the spouse) will take it, then DON'T do it. It's not worth the problems that it could cause.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:46 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
It depends on how your spouse feels about it. If he/she is okay with it--no harm done. If he/she is uncomfortable, you need to stop.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:39 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
I am a very friendly and happy person by nature, and have been told that men have mistaken my actions (never physically touched or acted like I was flirting) I was just being me....never really had the desire to flirt when I was dating or married. Though I love to talk to men and listen to their stories...as I'm not into soap operas, shopping or gossip. But, I was just never attracted to anyone else when I was with someone....I don't believe it's a good idea....it not only shows an insecurity, but also, disrespect for your mate. If one must go that far, then leave them first so as not to hurt their hearts and minds.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:50 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
I don't think flirting is a good idea if u r married. U certainly shouldn't be blowing kisses or touching anyone other than your spouse. It's too dangerous to your marriage. "If u give the devil a ride it wont be long before he's driving u." Harmless flirting may take u somewhere u don't want to go. Plus, your spouse deserves more respect than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships