Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 06:47 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
I agree with you on a few points there, and I also don't want to argue whether or not all people should or shouldn't be christians, but I have to ask/clarify: you really think that people who are not religious/non Christians cannot have healthy stable marriages filled with love and compromise?
No, obviously that is not the case at all.....but since I do believe marriage is born of God, I think having God involved is the best way to begin and sustain the act itself. If God created it, and then gets shut out of it, I see that as an immediate disadvantage for a new union. Although many will disagree, for me to say otherwise would be a contradiction of my faith. There are certainly scores of non Christian/religious couples across the globe who have healthy marriages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 07:18 PM

838 posts, read 1,876,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
At least he had it happen quickly so he could pick up the pieces and move on. Hopefully no kids were involved to make it more difficult.
Yes, thankfully there were no kids ... what made it so hard to accept was that they'd been dating for 6+ years ... no one in the world would have said they shouldn't get married ... less than a year in, she cheated in him ... I still can't make sense of it ...

Old 09-01-2010, 07:32 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerclassof72 View Post
Yes, thankfully there were no kids ... what made it so hard to accept was that they'd been dating for 6+ years ... no one in the world would have said they shouldn't get married ... less than a year in, she cheated in him ... I still can't make sense of it ...

It is terrible for your son and his family, I'm sure.

But honestly, I've seen this happen before to couples who get together VERY young and stayed together 5 or 6 years before actually getting married. Inevitably one of the partners begins to feel like they missed out on something and want to go back and recapture those early 20's by playing the field.

I know you said it doesn't make sense to you, but truly, it does not surprise me at all. Long engagements do not necessarily portend happy marriages.

Hope your son is doing better now.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:48 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I know you said it doesn't make sense to you, but truly, it does not surprise me at all. Long engagements do not necessarily portend happy marriages.
I would be curious if most people learn from these 1st marriages and have better and longer term the 2nd time around.

I'd suspect if you could eliminate the serial marriages, 2nd marriages might show to be more long term. Maybe not.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:04 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I would be curious if most people learn from these 1st marriages and have better and longer term the 2nd time around.

I'd suspect if you could eliminate the serial marriages, 2nd marriages might show to be more long term. Maybe not.
Second and subsequent marriages have even higher divorce rate - I believe it was something like 60+% for a 2nd and 73% for a 3rd one. There are myriad of reasons for that, namely related to children, complicated finances, and dealing with exes. Also, people who have gone through a divorce once (regardless of who the initiator was) are more likely to do it again because they know they can survive and they're less likely to work on difficulties. They probably were idealists in the first place and will never be satisfied with anything short of perfection, thus these results...

Old 09-01-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Second and subsequent marriages have even higher divorce rate - I believe it was something like 60+% for a 2nd and 73% for a 3rd one. There are myriad of reasons for that, namely related to children, complicated finances, and dealing with exes. Also, people who have gone through a divorce once (regardless of who the initiator was) are more likely to do it again because they know they can survive and they're less likely to work on difficulties. They probably were idealists in the first place and will never be satisfied with anything short of perfection, thus these results...

I know statistically you are right about second and third marriages, but honestly, I know SO MANY successful second marriages that I think Rakin makes a good point too about "getting it right" the second time around

Old 09-02-2010, 05:11 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
I've gotta disagree, JSizz. My marriage ruined a perfectly good friendship. My own experience is that familiarity breeds contempt.
I've found this to be the case with a few couples including my ex and I.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:28 AM

838 posts, read 1,876,568 times
Quote:

Hope your son is doing better now.
Thanks lovesmtns ... he's doing very well ... the divorce was over 2 years ago; it took a while for him to get over it ... then he did something completely unexpected: he joined the Marines ... he graduated from Parris Island 4 weeks ago ...

Old 09-02-2010, 06:51 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,383 times
Quote:
I know statistically you are right about second and third marriages, but honestly, I know SO MANY successful second marriages that I think Rakin makes a good point too about "getting it right" the second time around
I've got a family member who is on his 3rd marriage....the 1st 2 fell apart due to his self-centered personality....it took aging/growing up to correct that....married again at 65, he and his much younger wife seem very happy....

Old 09-02-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerclassof72 View Post
Thanks lovesmtns ... he's doing very well ... the divorce was over 2 years ago; it took a while for him to get over it ... then he did something completely unexpected: he joined the Marines ... he graduated from Parris Island 4 weeks ago ...
Fantastic! You must be so proud, I would be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships