Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 03:44 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,164,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
No, not sexual at all, actually.

The benefit of marriage to me is knowing that I can bare my soul to one person, and they will never leave or share those secrets with anyone else. I can go through deep depression, joyous occasions, and everything in between, and my spouse will be there beside me through it all. I will do the same for him.

The shared goals and finances can come with/without marriage, as can sex. It's the promise of sharing a bond with only that person. Knowing my husband had a relationship (sexual, romantic, or otherwise) with another person would definitely change the level of trust I had in our relationship.

Dunno. Maybe people can put up concrete walls and say "I will be purely emotional with you" and "I will be purely physical with you". I can't see it that way though.

What makes you think that folks who are in open marriages/relationships don't share these same ideals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 03:45 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Open relationships make about as much sense to me as buying a car, parking it in your driveway and renting another.
Monotony makes as much sense as eating _______* three times daily, every day for several decades.
*insert name of favorite food here.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:50 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Monotony makes as much sense as eating _______* three times daily, every day for several decades.
As a friend so aptly pointed out to me via DM, it was a bad analogy. LOL

Old 09-15-2010, 04:33 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
In my opinion, exclusive committed relationships are more common than either of the things you listed--you just don't hear about them as much.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:31 AM

396 posts, read 732,610 times
Quote:
No, not sexual at all, actually.

The benefit of marriage to me is knowing that I can bare my soul to one person, and they will never leave or share those secrets with anyone else. I can go through deep depression, joyous occasions, and everything in between, and my spouse will be there beside me through it all. I will do the same for him.

The shared goals and finances can come with/without marriage, as can sex. It's the promise of sharing a bond with only that person. Knowing my husband had a relationship (sexual, romantic, or otherwise) with another person would definitely change the level of trust I had in our relationship.
It would change the level of trust you have in your relationship because that's how you're wired... nothing wrong with that. It does not change the level of trust I have in my relationships, because that's how I'm wired... and there's nothing wrong with that, either.

Quote:
Dunno. Maybe people can put up concrete walls and say "I will be purely emotional with you" and "I will be purely physical with you". I can't see it that way though.
I've never been able to do that... which is probably why I've had so few romantic/sexual relationships in my life.

I could not really have a true "open relationship," where we were randomly partnering up with different people throughout our lives. But most people don't understand that there are different types of non-monogamy, such as polygamy (polygyny & polyandry), polyamory, open relationships, swinging, threesomes, etc. They're not the same thing, and the "rules" are generally quite different in each.

Unfortunately, they tend to get lumped together... and it can make discussing them very confusing.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:14 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,600 times
Should the defintiion of adultery be revised to include "without the consent of your spouse?"

Old 09-16-2010, 08:15 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Should the defintiion of adultery be revised to include "without the consent of your spouse?"
Either that or the vows should be rewritten.

Better yet, maybe tossed out.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:16 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Should the definition of adultery be revised to include "without the consent of your spouse?"
Most people who want to have another sex partner know their spouse and most know the response they will receive if they try and discuss having an Open Relationships.

There is the thrill factor but usually it's the old "It's easier to ask forgiveness then permission". This is one place where asking forgiveness is probably worse but most who have affairs hope they never reach that point.

Open relationships fall into the "Can make a good relationship great or a bad relationship worse" category. If anyone tried it who was not in a stable, solid relationship with extremely high communication would be asking for a disaster.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:19 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
People who view others the way they view food probably shouldn't be in relationships to begin with.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:33 AM

36,536 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
But it got me to thinking, if I had to pick which is better between an open relationship, or having an affair. I would have to say it would be an open relationship. And yet in my opinion, affairs are more frequent.

Why are affairs more common then open relationships?
Affairs are open relationships in which only one party is privy to the fact that it is an open relationship.

A lot of people want an open relationship, but only for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships