Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 01:42 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
I think terms like "man-crush" and "bromance" are just evidence that homophobia is on the wane. It has always been acceptable for women to have female BFFs and have emotionally close friendships with other women. Men haven't enjoyed that openly without homophobes and other easily threatened and insecure types casting aspersions on it and "accusing" them of homosexuality. Terms like "man-crush" are basically a gentle way of dipping a toe in the water in terms of society coming to understand and appreciate friendship between men.
I agree with your statement completely, but what's wrong with the word "friend"?! Granted, as many redundant words as English has, it doesn't differentiate between simple things like "you" (one) and "you" (a group), and "friend" (male) and "friend" (female); yet, that doesn't look like a good enough of an excuse to me for introducing sexual innuendo to same-gender friendships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 06:15 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I agree with your statement completely, but what's wrong with the word "friend"?! Granted, as many redundant words as English has, it doesn't differentiate between simple things like "you" (one) and "you" (a group), and "friend" (male) and "friend" (female); yet, that doesn't look like a good enough of an excuse to me for introducing sexual innuendo to same-gender friendships.
Yup. It's sexual innuendo and I don't know why a straight male would want anyone to think he might be gay, if he is not.

Aviene, I do think homosexuality is much more accepted nowadays than in the past, but why would a man call attention to himself this way if he does not want a boyfriend?

Old 10-02-2010, 06:23 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Man Crsh is no big deal, I have plenty of them. It means nothing.

My Man Crushes

Tony Kornheiser
Donovan Mcnabb
Tom Jackson
Brent Musburger

Old 10-02-2010, 06:27 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Man Crush means

"admiring the personality and talent of a certain guy and that you wish you could be like him"

it means nothing bout being GAY

Old 10-02-2010, 06:41 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
I think the term man-crush is being interpretted too literally. Though I don't declare any man-crushes...with the exeption of Ron of course...in most cases it refers to someone we wouldn't mind having a beer with, spending a day at the range with, grilling up some of the day's catch with, or just shooting the shyt. That's part of the reason movies and characters like the James Bond series, Dirty Harry, Rocky, Lethal Weapon (pre-Gibson meltdown), gangster movies, and Les Sroud/survivalists are so popular with guys. Nothing wrong with wanting to spend a day with Clint Eastwood, Charles Barkley or Bear Gylls. It has nothing to do with homosexual tendencies or sexuality in the least.

Homophobia aside, not too many dudes want to share a day at the beach with Perez Hilton, Mario Lopez, or Ryan Seacrest. There is very little about them that appeals to the average man.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:36 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
BROMANCE!!!

I don't like the term but I do understand what they are trying to indicate. It's used to describe a male-male friendship that is deeper than the friendships that males typically have w/ each other. Affection is not as restricted, and you can express yourself more w/ that particular male friend. I'm actually all for those friendships(I mean girls can have them, why can't we?), but the term is a bit ridiculous.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:54 PM

609 posts, read 1,139,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
BROMANCE!!!

I don't like the term but I do understand what they are trying to indicate. It's used to describe a male-male friendship that is deeper than the friendships that males typically have w/ each other. Affection is not as restricted, and you can express yourself more w/ that particular male friend. I'm actually all for those friendships(I mean girls can have them, why can't we?), but the term is a bit ridiculous.
Haha this must have been revived because of my recent post.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:59 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,192,691 times
I have a man crush on Aaron Ramsey.

Sue me.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:08 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
And the Oscar for "Getting Upset for Something Hardly Worth Mentioning" goes to...... Drum roll, please.......

All the posters on this thread! Congrats

Old 12-11-2010, 07:35 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I agree........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships