Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 02:11 PM

111 posts, read 286,277 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal.....I have a male friend that I have been very good friends with since I was in middle school. We have been through a great deal together, college, marriage, kids, job issues etc. We have lived in seperate states for many years now but have kept in weekly contact with calls and emails. He is married with kids as am I. The problem? my husband does not approve of the friendship. I am much younger than he (my husband) which I think has something to do with it but he's the type that doesnt believe that a married woman should have a friendship with a man. I would agree to this to some extent so I can understand how he feels in a way. He wants me to cut off all contact which I havent done because I think its ridiculous. Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 02:14 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
He is insecure and jealous. Maybe you are making him feel that way? Or it could be his own issues that he needs to get over. Find out!

Old 11-13-2008, 02:14 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Get rid of your controlling, overbearing, older husband. He obviously has self-esteem issues. You shouldn't have to change your platonic friendships for anybody, much less yor insecure husband.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:16 PM

Wow Twinkle,
That is harsh and cold. Her husband is very important and she might be conniving him to feel insecure and jealous by being withholding and bragging about how awesome her friendship is with another male......she also might be selfish and never focus on his needs or wants. Get it NOW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Get rid of your controlling, overbearing, older husband. He obviously has self-esteem issues. You shouldn't have to change your platonic friendships for anybody, much less yor insecure husband.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:18 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
utterly based on your report, its an internet relationship a good one a strong one and a long one.
it could easily turn into something else given the right circumstances.
he sounds worried about his marriage. the 2 issues are not connected.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:21 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Wow Twinkle,
That is harsh and cold. Her husband is very important and she might be conniving him to feel insecure and jealous by being withholding and bragging about how awesome her friendship is with another male......she also might be selfish and never focus on his needs or wants. Get it NOW?
The tone of her post didn't sound as if she is in any way leading her husband in the wrong direction. She said weekly calls and emails. I didn't detect at all there was anything "extra" going on between she and her friend. I still believe her husband has the problem.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:22 PM

111 posts, read 286,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Wow Twinkle,
good points...I dont mention the friendship because I know its a sore spot. I think he is insecure in general. Great guy really, just insecure. I just dont see the point with ending a friendship that is and has been harmless....oh, and I dont like him telling me to do it either.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:23 PM

Find out what your husband needs to feel secure. It's that simple. Be a good wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by texgrl View Post
good points...I dont mention the friendship because I know its a sore spot. I think he is insecure in general. Great guy really, just insecure. I just dont see the point with ending a friendship that is and has been harmless....oh, and I dont like him telling me to do it either.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:26 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,487 times
If you mate feels respected and secure than usually the contact with someone else is not a problem. Make sure he is getting the attention he needs. If you are communicating with your friend so much are you outletting to him and not to your husband. Ask your husband...
Tell him you will cut back and then keep in contact but don't mention it. Then give your hubby lots of attention, praise and support and see what happens.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:32 PM

Like I said find out what the husband's needs and wants are........that is what a wife is for........to meet some of those needs and wants....

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
If you mate feels respected and secure than usually the contact with someone else is not a problem. Make sure he is getting the attention he needs. If you are communicating with your friend so much are you outletting to him and not to your husband. Ask your husband...
Tell him you will cut back and then keep in contact but don't mention it. Then give your hubby lots of attention, praise and support and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships