Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 05:19 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Maybe the OP isn't spending "quality time" or going on dates with the hubby. Otherwise it wouldn't be a problem.
No Artsy, some people are just insecure like that. I had a best friend who married a moron who was super jealous of anybody she was friends with. He tried his best to force her to give up any friendships or relationships outside of theirs, and it backfired on his sorry *ss. She divorced him and I got to serve the disso papers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 05:22 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,716,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Personally, I am a very secure person and my husband does in fact have friendships with many beautiful, intelligent, affluent women - he's an attorney, so of course he is going to interact with these ladies on a daily basis. I am not the least bit concerned about it, as I too have my own life and my own sets of friends - both male and female. I would never even think to tell him he wasn't "allowed" to have these people as friends. And if he ever said that to me, he knows where the door is and I would hope it wouldn't hit him on the way out.
For some reason you just made me feel warm and fuzzy inside............................

Old 11-13-2008, 05:22 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texgrl View Post
Here's the deal.....I have a male friend that I have been very good friends with since I was in middle school. We have been through a great deal together, college, marriage, kids, job issues etc. We have lived in seperate states for many years now but have kept in weekly contact with calls and emails. He is married with kids as am I. The problem? my husband does not approve of the friendship. I am much younger than he (my husband) which I think has something to do with it but he's the type that doesnt believe that a married woman should have a friendship with a man. I would agree to this to some extent so I can understand how he feels in a way. He wants me to cut off all contact which I havent done because I think its ridiculous. Advice?

your husband is probably jealous....and intimidated that the male friend is your age....while it's not always fair to have to give up your male friends when you get married...well, if it's going to cause a problem then, I would give up the male friend, b/c my husband's feelings have to come first.

maybe later, down the road, he'll change his mind...

I do have friends who do have male friends, and they're husbands are not intimidated in the least...but the point here is, that your husband's hurt by it...therefore, I would let go of the male friend.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
For some reason you just made me feel warm and fuzzy inside............................
But allow me to further clarify, if I may ... neither of us has ever given the other a reason to be jealous of or intimidated by other people. Once someone gives a reason, then I could see it and maybe even agree to a "no friends of the opposite sex rule".

Old 11-13-2008, 05:33 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
But allow me to further clarify, if I may ... neither of us has ever given the other a reason to be jealous of or intimidated by other people. Once someone gives a reason, then I could see it and maybe even agree to a "no friends of the opposite sex rule".
sorry it doesn't work like that, while others do think and feel as you do, your husband and others don't.
It's not about no friends of the opposite sex, but what it may be more about is the frequency of the friendship, or if you spend time with the friend alone without hubby...

I had male friends to, but my husband was always there with us...never did I meet them alone, or do anything with them alone...b/c my husband was jealous. My male friends that I knew since high school understood, they surely didn't want to cause my husband any reason for fear or discomfort...

again, if he didn't have an issue with it ok, but I guess you have to ask yourself, who is more important to you.....

life isn't always fair, sometimes we gotta give up things we don't want to, but if it means helping your husband, to be more comfortable and less stressed, then I would do it?

You don't have to never see them again...just make certain when you do, he is along?

Simple fix?

Old 11-13-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
sorry it doesn't work like that, while others do think and feel as you do, your husband and others don't.
It's not about no friends of the opposite sex, but what it may be more about is the frequency of the friendship, or if you spend time with the friend alone without hubby...

I had male friends to, but my husband was always there with us...never did I meet them alone, or do anything with them alone...b/c my husband was jealous. My male friends that I knew since high school understood, they surely didn't want to cause my husband any reason for fear or discomfort...

again, if he didn't have an issue with it ok, but I guess you have to ask yourself, who is more important to you.....

life isn't always fair, sometimes we gotta give up things we don't want to, but if it means helping your husband, to be more comfortable and less stressed, then I would do it?

You don't have to never see them again...just make certain when you do, he is along?

Simple fix?

I think you meant to direct that to the OP. I am not the OP, but I do understand what you're saying as it would pertain to the OP.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:42 PM

BTW, the poor OP! Her mind must be so boggled by now!!! Hey - where'd she go???

Old 11-13-2008, 05:51 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,716,119 times
*laughs to self with hand over mouth in front of the monitor*

Old 11-13-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
*laughs to self with hand over mouth in front of the monitor*
I know, huh! She's probably running for the hills because we all have her so confused now! Thanks to me and my "Thoroughly Modern Millie" ideas. LOL

Old 11-13-2008, 06:06 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
If she is so perfect and all knowing then why did she marry him?

Quote:
No Artsy, some people are just insecure like that. I had a best friend who married a moron who was super jealous of anybody she was friends with. He tried his best to force her to give up any friendships or relationships outside of theirs, and it backfired on his sorry *ss. She divorced him and I got to serve the disso papers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships