Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 01:20 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,262,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhe33 View Post
That "acting white" nonsense is BS. Being educated and speaking well as well as dressing well means your acting white????? So whats acting black? Speaking poor english and being ghetto??

This self racism is doing a lot of harm.

BTW i vote for major diverse cities such as NYC, or San Fran.
To be fair, white people can be just as guilty of ostracizing blacks who appear to be just as if not more well-spoken than they are. I've had it happen myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 05:46 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,045,393 times
Atlanta...

Close thread

Old 11-13-2010, 06:28 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,711,073 times
I agree with Atlanta. Great city for professional young blacks.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:35 PM

52,426 posts, read 52,974,416 times
So Cal would be great for young black professionals.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:50 PM

1,600 posts, read 3,925,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
To be fair, white people can be just as guilty of ostracizing blacks who appear to be just as if not more well-spoken than they are. I've had it happen myself.
But remember that many whites who tend to criticize blacks who are well-spoken tend to be more liberal/yuppie/hipster. According to them, you're good enough to vote for them and live off handouts, but not good enough to lead in certain industries and feed yourself financially. So with that, extremist liberal places like SF and parts of NYC are out. Also, you (the OP) mentioned that you were criticized for talking "too white" by black girls. In that case, places like DC and the "beloved ATL" are out of contention as well. Those places do have "educated" blacks, but many of them are very culturally militant, and any variation outside of what is considered "black enough" will not be tolerated.

So according to YOUR requirements (not the requirements of the "black community") but the requrements you listed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projekt Kahn View Post
-diverse
-not too hot like Texas
-multi cultural
-interracial dating friendly, where its like a norm
-a place that has much to do, and has sights
-somewhere definitely liberal, hopefully with some lax marijuana laws
My suggestions are San Diego, Denver, and especially Seattle, and Vancouver as the top cities to check out.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:04 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,734,420 times
You guys are ALL wrong. The answer is obvious.

It's Compton fools!

Old 11-14-2010, 01:17 PM

9 posts, read 22,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
But remember that many whites who tend to criticize blacks who are well-spoken tend to be more liberal/yuppie/hipster. According to them, you're good enough to vote for them and live off handouts, but not good enough to lead in certain industries and feed yourself financially. So with that, extremist liberal places like SF and parts of NYC are out. Also, you (the OP) mentioned that you were criticized for talking "too white" by black girls. In that case, places like DC and the "beloved ATL" are out of contention as well. Those places do have "educated" blacks, but many of them are very culturally militant, and any variation outside of what is considered "black enough" will not be tolerated.

So according to YOUR requirements (not the requirements of the "black community") but the requrements you listed

My suggestions are San Diego, Denver, and especially Seattle, and Vancouver as the top cities to check out.
excellent response, and I'm so glad you mentioned the cultural militancy of the educated blacks at ATL and DC because I don't tend to become good friends with people like that...they tend to be indifferent to me, and generally cold. 97 percent of the people I become close with are of a different race, sadly hardly ever blacks, though I've tried hard by joining BSAs and what not. San Diego definitely pops up on several occasions, I cannot thank you enough for your words!

Old 11-14-2010, 08:43 PM

988 posts, read 3,264,552 times
Quote:

Spot on response. I'm Black and live in NYC and have lived in very Liberal neighborhoods in Brooklyn. Its funny that when I dressed down in sports gear, going to the store, gym, etc, no one gave me weird looks, everything was fairly normal. However, when I was going to/from work in suits, dressed up, those White Liberals who too many Blacks think that are on our side all of a sudden gives dirty looks, makes weird noises, clutches purses, etc. What does this tell me? That many Liberals really don't care about Blacks and think less of us. They(Generalization, not all) think we're incapable of being self-reliant and thrives off of giving Black handouts to make them feel good about themselves and to push their agenda. A professional Black man who is in a Liberal White neighborhood isn't in his place according to your typical White Liberal. Too bad many low-income Blacks are too ignorant to see that Liberalism hurts us more than helps us. I could go really deep into this but I need to get back on topic and stay away from the political aspect.

Back to your question, I also agree that ATL and parts of Brooklyn, Harlem, South Side of Chicago, Houston, and the DC area have tons of professional Blacks but you wouldn't fit in. You probably won't have much in common with them as they are more pro-Black than you are(going by your original post). Also, there aren't a whole lot of individuals, its a group mentality and everyone seems to follow the pack(Bed-Stuy Brooklyn's Black Hipsters are a great example). I agree with the above, Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis-St. Paul. You'd be accepted in San Diego but White girls don't date interracially as much as you would think there. You'd be surprised that LA would be a place that you may fit into. Avoid SF, Austin,TX, Phoenix, a good portion of NYC, Boston, and so on if you want to move to a place where your chances are high for interracial dating.

Good Luck.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:27 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,262,859 times
Quote:

I agree. I sense the condescension among white "progressives" quite frequently, and it makes me just as uncomfortable as being in the presence of your run-of-the-mill conservative redneck. It's like you're not really "in touch with your blackness" if you're not running around with dreadlocks and an adopted, Africanized name. I think we all agree that cities with substantial black populations are to be avoided as well, because the greater the population, the less likely your "individualness" will be appreciated.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:30 AM

12,961 posts, read 13,752,438 times
I tend to think the in opposite direction. I would go to place that doesn't have a lot of professional black men. I have also found that it is common in many large Midwestern cities that there can be more bi-racial children than there are black children being born. I would chose a city like Lawrence Kansas (funk capital of the Midwest) The college is a good, and unlike like most college towns,the city it self is more progressive than the college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships