Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Sex Overrated
Yes 37 44.05%
No 47 55.95%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 07:46 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Overrated? Not if you're doing it right. I can think of at least a half dozen overly saturated/inflated pass times that are way overrated and sex isn't one of them. Go have yourself some toe curling, eye watering, body quaking foreplay and orgasms with someone whom you share a powerful connection with, then come back and tell me it's overrated.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
There's a reason why sex sells. People like it and people want it. And it's the cheapest form of entertainment and always available.

It's more than just a few minutes of fun. The entire process of getting to the point of sex can last hours and is a fun joyride the entire way. The fact that regular sex has health benefits is a great bonus as well.

I wouldn't revolve my life around it, but I certainly wouldn't live life without it. Being in my 20's, the thought of settling down and having periodic sex with the same woman my entire life just sounds depressing. But that may probably change with age.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Overrated? Not if you're doing it right. I can think of at least a half dozen overly saturated/inflated pass times that are way overrated and sex isn't one of them. Go have yourself some toe curling, eye watering, body quaking foreplay and orgasms with someone whom you share a powerful connection with, then come back and tell me it's overrated.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:57 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
It's overrated to people who are not getting any or having good sex.

It's kind of like saying is eating overrated ? If you're eating at McDonald's...yes. A fine dinner done right... that's not overrated.

But even with eating, I still drive through McDonald's on occasion for a quickie and a chocolate shake.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:58 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,305,724 times
Quote:
YES to Coolhand!!

NO to the poll.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:59 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
I think sex is so powerful because the greatest instinct we have after staying alive - which involves eating, staying out of danger.etc - is to reproduce, so of course it's going to be in our top 3 priorities. Like art etc we have made a necessity into a kind of a pasttime.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:00 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
I don't think anyone here is talking about sex with a loved one.

I was mainly speaking of how sex is perceived in general. It is too open in our society. Instead of being seen as a "powerful connection with a another", it is seen as almost comedic. People are starting to treat it more as a recreational hobby than as a tool for connecting with someone on a deeper level. Every time I go to the store or watch tv, something is always called "sexy". Everything is about how sexy it is, or how slutty you can dress (I'm a woman ), even if it is not really arousing at all. I'm not trying to be prude or say that sex isn't important, it is just given priority over more important matters in society.
Do we live in an oversexed society? Sure, I'll go along with that. But I still wouldn't call it overrated. It sells for a reason.

Now sports, video games, religion, politicians, most vacations, and shopping malls are overrated.

There is little more pathetic than a grown man investing too much of his emotional energy, precious time, and hard earned salary following some billionaire athlete's stats who couldn't care less about him, or spending endless hours playing childish video games. But if that's what makes them happy or keeps them from perching themselves atop some office building with a high powered rifle then more power to them.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:10 PM

199 posts, read 491,045 times
A cool quote I heard somewhere before

"Sex is like oxygen, its not important until your not getting any"

Old 10-25-2010, 08:11 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I wouldn't revolve my life around it, but I certainly wouldn't live life without it. Being in my 20's, the thought of settling down and having periodic sex with the same woman my entire life just sounds depressing. But that may probably change with age.
It's not about age. It's more about maturity. My life revolved too much around sex in my 20s. Sex, especially the "casual" or recreational kind can be like a drug. You'll need more and more of it over time to get the same effect.

Besides the risk of disease and unwanted pregnancy, you also risk a certain emotional numbness the more partners you have.

I started feeling the pain of what I was doing in my mid 30s and it wasn't pretty.

So, yes, I think sex is GREAT. But it's also overrated. I have to remind myself of this often, especially when I see a hot guy who isn't my boyfriend.

Here are some tidbits from recent research:

....Younger people are happier in general, but not made any happier by having sex than older people are.

,,,So if sex makes us happy then surely, if variety really is the spice of life, having more sexual partners must make us happier. Well it doesn’t. People with more sexual partners are less happy than those who have just one.

Does Sleeping Around Make People Happier? | Dollars and Sex | Big Think

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 10-25-2010 at 08:20 PM..

Old 10-25-2010, 08:11 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,213,196 times
Overrated if you’re not doing it right.

Sex, in my opinion, is one of the best if not THE best PHYSICAL feeling in the world.

Quote:
Go have yourself some toe curling, eye watering, body quaking foreplay and orgasms with someone whom you share a powerful connection with, then come back and tell me it's overrated.
Damn! What Coolhand said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships