Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 07:11 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,647,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I know, Chow, that's how the whole life flies... That's why I'm so worried that I still haven't figured out what I should be doing for the rest of my life, don't have the master plan as they say...Maybe I should just go with the flow, but the way the time just passes by is scary....
Perhaps get a good metal detector, look fer treasure on the beaches, parks, camping grounds, etc...

Old 12-30-2010, 07:13 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,387,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Perhaps get a good metal detector, look fer treasure on the beaches, parks, camping grounds, etc...

Ha ha ha!!!!! Hey, you never know, right? I may find some secret treasure box and never have to worry about a day in my life!

Old 12-30-2010, 07:18 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,647,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Ha ha ha!!!!! Hey, you never know, right? I may find some secret treasure box and never have to worry about a day in my life!

I'm sure there is treasure in deep water by the reefs, where ships have sunk lustrums ago in storms/hurricaines. The catch is it is very costly & dangerous, to find those treasures...

Old 12-30-2010, 07:27 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,626,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah..... I've been reading waaaayyyy to much spirituality books lately.... I've got a million answers to the "whole what am I gonna do with my life"

I'm sure mr. Sifuphil could enlighten us as well.....
Mr. Sifu Phillipe Louigi Bellafontaine, PhD, OMD will now take your questions...

Tarry not, mortals, lest ye be cast down into Hades!

...ahem...sorry...

Anyway, yes, spirituality and metaphysics - what my one lady-friend liked to term my "useless degree". Back when I still felt the need to shlep 43 boxes of books with me wherever I went (true story), I had quite the impressive library. The last time I did an inventory check (collecting books for so long in a specific field often requires one to create a cataloging system) I had over 750 books on metaphysics alone. Add in an equal or greater amount on martial arts and Chinese medicine and I could have qualified as a franchisee of Amazon.

Now that my verbal diarrhea has run out, to the question at hand - "what am I gonna' do with my life?". I've always believed that we are inundated at an early age with societal memes - study hard, work long, sacrifice, blah blah blah. Know what you want to be by the time you're five and single-mindedly pursue your dreams - by the time you're 25 you'll be a world-beating millionaire.

Right.

Some of us followed a different path, one which sometimes we had no idea that it was a path - just that it felt "right". We drifted for years, trying this, that and the other thing; we changed careers like a manic-depressive changes moods. We were, some of us, hippies that were born too late to be called hippies. But we had that anti-establishment, anti-rules drive to live what one of my teachers called a "universal life" - open to everything, loving and caring yet detached from it all. Being a peripatetic Foole who sings and tells jokes for his dinner, instead of bowing and scraping to cubicle Gods? Gimme that old-time religion any day!

In the Great Buffet Of Life some of us prefer to go plate-less - we'll just pick, thank you.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:36 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,387,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Mr. Sifu Phillipe Louigi Bellafontaine, PhD, OMD will now take your questions...

Tarry not, mortals, lest ye be cast down into Hades!

...ahem...sorry...

Anyway, yes, spirituality and metaphysics - what my one lady-friend liked to term my "useless degree". Back when I still felt the need to shlep 43 boxes of books with me wherever I went (true story), I had quite the impressive library. The last time I did an inventory check (collecting books for so long in a specific field often requires one to create a cataloging system) I had over 750 books on metaphysics alone. Add in an equal or greater amount on martial arts and Chinese medicine and I could have qualified as a franchisee of Amazon.

Now that my verbal diarrhea has run out, to the question at hand - "what am I gonna' do with my life?". I've always believed that we are inundated at an early age with societal memes - study hard, work long, sacrifice, blah blah blah. Know what you want to be by the time you're five and single-mindedly pursue your dreams - by the time you're 25 you'll be a world-beating millionaire.

Right.

Some of us followed a different path, one which sometimes we had no idea that it was a path - just that it felt "right". We drifted for years, trying this, that and the other thing; we changed careers like a manic-depressive changes moods. We were, some of us, hippies that were born too late to be called hippies. But we had that anti-establishment, anti-rules drive to live what one of my teachers called a "universal life" - open to everything, loving and caring yet detached from it all. Being a peripatetic Foole who sings and tells jokes for his dinner, instead of bowing and scraping to cubicle Gods? Gimme that old-time religion any day!

In the Great Buffet Of Life some of us prefer to go plate-less - we'll just pick, thank you.
Well, that's the thing, I was that person, who studied hard, went to college, got a degree, got a job at my career and all nine yards, all this just to feel stressed out and unfullfilled at the end.
And over a year ago, I said "screw it" and took a risk, moved across the country and now I work in a completely unrelated field, making a third of money I used to make, but with minimum stress.
That's what scares me, now I feel like I am wasting my life because essentially I'm not working at a mentally satisfying job and I don't want to look back and think that I should have done this, that or the other. I don't like to be the person to whine and complain, I enjoy my life, I do...but I'm a human doubts herself and wonders what else is there for her...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships