Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 06:56 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,222,254 times

Advertisements

Let me upfront and say I am a widow (4years), over 60, been married twice. I am now dating someone my age (actually a little older ) for about a month. He has been a gentleman whenever we are together. He calls and we talk online everyday. We see each other a couple of times a week usually. I enjoy his company and we have fun when we go out. He usually buys me flowers and is a good cook.
Now, he has started making little comments which I take as his way of saying he wants to go a step further (yep 6x) and I am just don't know if I feel that way about him. I don't want it to become so I feel like that is all he wants whenever we are together. I have told him I wasn't ready to make that kind of commitment yet but the hints keep on coming.
Is it me just being too cautious or is that all there is?

I have dated others but he is the first one I have been out with that I really enjoy being with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 07:15 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,105,848 times
In my opinion, He is telling you what he wants eventually in this relationship. You have to decide if it's what you want.
Do you just want him as a friend? If so, Maybe he is looking for a girlfriend, not a friend.
You guys need to communicate so you are on the same page.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:16 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,633,334 times
Personally I think that a gradual progression from friendship to sexual relations is only natural for a couple. If the relationship is going to work it's going to proceed from getting to know each other through the various steps until we're talking about a sexual relationship. Is this really so shocking after all of the years that you've lived? Human beings have a sexual nature and it's a natural human need. You just have to decide if this particular individual is the one that you want to have sexual relations with. It's not rocket science, it's sex.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:20 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,304,273 times
Do you drive a nice car??? Maybe he wants to drive it???

Old 07-11-2007, 07:33 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,197,784 times
Since he's a good cook, he doesn't want you for that. He'd still young enough to want a sexual partner. And he wouldn't have to worry about getting you pregnant or catching a disease.

If you enjoy his company, and he enjoys yours, I think you are correct in thinking that's where he's headed. However, whether that's ALL it is, will take some time to figure out. Your decision is figure out how much you enjoy his company.

There are a lot of older couples that are enjoying the pleasures of dating without the complications of having to live together. It's not the terrible thing that it once was.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:38 PM

786 posts, read 1,177,900 times
Think about these lines from Jeff Foxworthy's Totally Committed:

you ever hear a group of women talking to each other " OOO i wish i knew what he was really thinking"
Ladies, i'll tell you what we're really thinking.
We're really thinking "I'd like a beer and i'd like to see something naked".
Thats all we're thinking.
You go to a nursing home and see a 90 year old man going down the hall on a walker.
That's what he's thinking "I'd like a beer and I'd like to see something naked".

Old 07-11-2007, 08:42 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,222,254 times
It is funny since when I was younger and divorced where it wasn't going didn't seem to matter as much as it does now. When I met my 2nd husband I knew at once he was the one. We lived together for 5 years before marriage and we had our ups and downs like most couples.
The other man I dated for any length of time didn't drop hints and let things progress normally. We broke up after a year of dating and then I moved away. I don't want to get married again so that isn't it. I just want it to mean more than it did the last time.

I told him I didn't want to be pressured and he said OK, but I do feel that way when he drops those hints. Maybe it is just me taking them too seriously.

Thanks Shuke.. that is exactly what I figured. It doesn't matter who it is as long as it is someone naked.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,863 times
i have had feelings for an old fling from 30 years. we met again two years ago became intimate once. we both enjiyed one another but now he thinks we should br friends. he says he would rather lose the sex than me as a friend. i am hurt because i wanted romance

Old 02-04-2010, 08:47 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,261,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Let me upfront and say I am a widow (4years), over 60, been married twice. I am now dating someone my age (actually a little older ) for about a month. He has been a gentleman whenever we are together. He calls and we talk online everyday. We see each other a couple of times a week usually. I enjoy his company and we have fun when we go out. He usually buys me flowers and is a good cook.
Now, he has started making little comments which I take as his way of saying he wants to go a step further (yep 6x) and I am just don't know if I feel that way about him. I don't want it to become so I feel like that is all he wants whenever we are together. I have told him I wasn't ready to make that kind of commitment yet but the hints keep on coming.
Is it me just being too cautious or is that all there is?

I have dated others but he is the first one I have been out with that I really enjoy being with.
Yay for you, Keeper! He probably does want to take it to that next level but he's nice enough to let you drive the car. Take your time and enjoy the ride. When you're ready, go for it but for now enjoy the flowers and the cooking!

p.s. I'm jealous, because I've never dated a good cook!

Old 02-05-2010, 06:51 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,639,061 times
So, Keeper, this thread is from '07. Whatever happened with you and this guy? Inquiring minds you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships