Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 09:44 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,084,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
It's because men who are problem-solvers are very attractive to us. We like it when men can make something happen, even something dull like fixing a door knob. Knowing that your man is ready and able to get the job done is a turn-on. it's basic, primal stuff - the man as a provider of a good home. Even feminists prefer a man who is handy (even if they are capable of doing for themselves).
Even this is answered in that book I recommended you read. How male-females are programmed from birth to fall into "roles". We're three generations into the superman-lois lane mindset.

Think about that. Men are supposed to "save the day", physically. Yet when it comes to any other problem we're just supposed to listen, share, hear the problem. Something that goes against our problem solving nature.

Meanwhile we're shown the ideal hero is superman. His arch nemesis is Lex Luthor. Yet Lex is only in maybe ten percent of the stories? Whose in EVERY story causing problems for superman? Lois! Whose always trying to ruin him, for their own personal gain? Lois! Does superman recognize this, or laugh it off? He laughs it off everytime she tries to expose his secret identity. The modern day Sampson. He too was a mighty hero. He too had arch nememis's. He too had a girlfriend trying to learn his secret. Who got him killed? His girlfriend!

We don't recognize females as a threat to us emotionally, or physically. What better advantage could a predator have, than prey that's attracted to them! I'm not saying they're all like this, but what if some are? Fact: a lot are!

Even feminists...get it? We have our uses, just like the vacuum cleaner! They are starting to think of us as just that, a vacuum cleaner. You don't talk to the vacuum, you don't love the vacuum, you just use the vacuum...put it away when done, and buy a new one when IT WEARS OUT. Do you remember your vacuum from 20 years ago? They're always improving vacuums, aren't they? Many on here are looking into buying a new vacuum. You get all these attachments with a new vacuum, but after awhile you realize you don't need those attachments, so you throw them away. It is after all, just a vacuum. I've yet to see one with tights or a cape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 10:04 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,971 times
I fix the cars, household things and tend to the lawn. Thats the way it should be if you ask me and most every man in the family is the same way. Except my Brother-in-law, he doesn't do squat so me and my Father-in-law end up doing it all and it's obvious my sister-in-law is embarrassed about it.

I'd say the day of the "the handyman" are coming to a close. Most boys these days are going to grow up to be little sissy men that only know how to fix a computer or a cell phone. I blame it on the women .

Old 12-27-2010, 10:07 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Why is it the women's fault? Obviously, there are either no men around to teach boys how to fix things, or men are around and are not teaching boys to fix things. Which is it?

Old 12-27-2010, 10:09 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweet View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with a woman who prefers a man with some skills over one that can't handle very basic household tasks. However, if this same woman can't hold her own when it comes to cooking, cleaning, etc., she has no right to demand Mr. Handyman.
Seems a bit balanced .

Old 12-27-2010, 10:12 AM

525 posts, read 1,555,432 times
some guys are just good at drinkin' beer....gotta love that Billy Currington song lol

Old 12-27-2010, 10:14 AM

697 posts, read 1,281,474 times
what is it Red Green says?? if they don't find ya handsome at least be handy(holding a roll of duct tape) or something like that

and just what is wrong with drinking beer??

Old 12-27-2010, 10:17 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
Any woman questioning the "manhood" of their partner because they can't fix something is a lady worth dumping. Everyone has different talents. My husband is beyond inept at fixing anything. He can't even use a screwdriver. I'm just as inept. We've spent thousands of dollars over the years calling in handymen to do jobs any other moron could do.

Do I resent him for being mechanically declined? Nope. Who cares?

Old 12-27-2010, 10:22 AM

697 posts, read 1,281,474 times
out here on the farm we have had to learn to fix almost everything- if we can't fix it we make it

Old 12-27-2010, 10:23 AM

525 posts, read 1,555,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the old man View Post
and just what is wrong with drinking beer??
nothing. I was just trying to make a joke. Some guys are good at drinking beer AND being a handyman

Old 12-27-2010, 10:31 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Any woman questioning the "manhood" of their partner because they can't fix something is a lady worth dumping. Everyone has different talents. My husband is beyond inept at fixing anything. He can't even use a screwdriver. I'm just as inept. We've spent thousands of dollars over the years calling in handymen to do jobs any other moron could do.

Do I resent him for being mechanically declined? Nope. Who cares?
To me, the issue is strictly practical . . .if you did not have enough money to hire someone to do this stuff for you, you might not have survived. It really is just about survival to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships