Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 11:39 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,289,844 times

Advertisements

I was thinking the other day about the meaning of the expression “I love you” in English compared to other languages around the world and somehow, I think “I love you” in English can be, say, not as strong. That expression can be used for things like “I love this weather…I love ice cream…I love my iPhone…” I just can’t think of saying such thing in, say, Japanese “Kono keitai ga ai****eru” its just too strong to use the verb “love” in that kind of sentence. I can hear English-speaking friends giving me a buddy hug and saying “I love you Onihc. Glad to see you visiting again” or something but it is still not as strong as telling me in Chinese (mandarin) “Wo ai ni”.

In Japanese there are certain degrees of expressing your passion for something, for example:

“Kono keitai ga suki” = I like this mobile
“Kono keitai ga daisuki” = I really like this mobile or I “love” (like it is said in English) this mobile.
“Kono keitai ga ai****eru” = I LOVE this phone. Which would sound too strong to throw the word “love” in there, it would just sound odd.

You know what I mean?

Sure, words are words, and its better to show it with actions but I somehow think that “I love you” is not as strong as in other languages. How strong is that expression in your native language?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 11:40 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,657,165 times
I think the words, "I love you" are very strong, period and in any language. I would guess when you hear those words in your native language, they have the same meaning.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:45 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,248,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I was thinking the other day about the meaning of the expression “I love you” in English compared to other languages around the world and somehow, I think “I love you” in English can be, say, not as strong. That expression can be used for things like “I love this weather…I love ice cream…I love my iPhone…”
I'd say in my mother tongue "I love you" is a bit stronger than in English, but the word is also used in other context. I think the expression is overused in this country, which cheapens it and makes is somewhat meaningless. There's no need for every phone call to end with "I love you," IMHO.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:47 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,198,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I was thinking the other day about the meaning of the expression “I love you” in English compared to other languages around the world and somehow, I think “I love you” in English can be, say, not as strong. That expression can be used for things like “I love this weather…I love ice cream…I love my iPhone…” I just can’t think of saying such thing in, say, Japanese “Kono keitai ga ai****eru” its just too strong to use the verb “love” in that kind of sentence. I can hear English-speaking friends giving me a buddy hug and saying “I love you Onihc. Glad to see you visiting again” or something but it is still not as strong as telling me in Chinese (mandarin) “Wo ai ni”.

In Japanese there are certain degrees of expressing your passion for something, for example:

“Kono keitai ga suki” = I like this mobile
“Kono keitai ga daisuki” = I really like this mobile or I “love” (like it is said in English) this mobile.
“Kono keitai ga ai****eru” = I LOVE this phone. Which would sound too strong to throw the word “love” in there, it would just sound odd.

You know what I mean?

Sure, words are words, and its better to show it with actions but I somehow think that “I love you” is not as strong as in other languages. How strong is that expression in your native language?
us americans throw the word love around like it's almost meaninglesss. it's way over-used here. kind of like the word "great" when describing athletes.
But when i tell my wife, daughter, or granddaughter "i love you" it has a very strong meaning to myself and to them. they know i mean it because i show it also.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:52 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,644,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'd say in my mother tongue "I love you" is a bit stronger than in English, but the word is also used in other context. I think the expression is overused in this country, which cheapens it and makes is somewhat meaningless. There's no need for every phone call to end with "I love you," IMHO.
Why not? Especially if you really do. Never know when that will be the last call...

Old 01-07-2011, 11:53 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,289,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Yup, that is what I was trying to say sierraAZ. Imagine how the phone calls would sound in your language if they ended like that all the time. When travelling to an English-speaking country I feel the expression is over used. It is just odd to throw that expression around in my native language or other languages that I speak or studied.

In your mother tongue can you use the verb “love” to say something like “I love lemonade”? In English I can say it just fine but in other languages, not so sure.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:57 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,761,957 times
Mama tongue has a separate word for "love", so when it's used it's used only on the significant other and never on the rest.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:01 PM

727 posts, read 541,289 times
In my language that is almost tabu, LoL... You just do not love things or say it... That is biggest secred, hided, shamed, you just cannot love... That is why I love to love in english I can love as much as I want and I sure did lotta love already Something on this you know...

Old 01-07-2011, 12:02 PM

116 posts, read 180,067 times
Obviously, the meaning depends on context. To make such a comparison between English and Japanese is rather pointless.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:05 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,761,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asexualgirl View Post
In my language that is almost tabu, LoL... You just do not love things or say it... That is biggest secred, hided, shamed, you just cannot love... That is why I love to love in english I can love as much as I want and I sure did lotta love already Something on this you know...
Where are you from?

And are you a sexual girl or an asexual girl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships