Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 04:03 PM

433 posts, read 1,370,038 times

Advertisements

I've been wondering, when people talk to me and give me complments, notice me, say nice things, etc., I feel good about myself inside and I wonder that if they would feel the same way if I did the same thing. I wonder this because I'm the less outgoing/talkative/sociable type, but I always try to put an effort. Do they feel the same way or maybe they just think 'well this person's trying to talk more' or something like that... I also wonder this because they have lots of other people to talk to besides me that are more outgoing, and I wonder if they would take my words the same way as them. Tell me what you guys think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 04:16 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,005 times
No, I've never heard of anything like that. I'll assume you're talking about people you know or within your social circle rather than strangers (since they'd have to have known you to know you're less outgoing).

If anything, I'd feel more complimented by someone who is shy, and normally hesitant around people but is willing to muster up the effort to talk to me, than the person who throws around polite compliments at anyone.

It'd be sort of like how if the guy at work that never calls in sick suddenly is absent, all the other folks perk up and notice and wonder what's up.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:30 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
You've heard the expression, "still waters run deep" and it happens to be true. Less outgoing people usually have deeper insights about human nature and more interesting things to say. I'm not putting down outgoing people but have you ever stood behind a noisy group and actually tried to listen to what they're saying? A lot of it is so ridiculously vapid b/c they have a much greater tolerance for small talk. Small talk is fine in its place but one needs to move on to bigger things and introverts are good at that--a lot of extroverts can stay on the small talk forever. Yes, this is a generalization.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:03 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
You've heard the expression, "still waters run deep" and it happens to be true. Less outgoing people usually have deeper insights about human nature and more interesting things to say. I'm not putting down outgoing people but have you ever stood behind a noisy group and actually tried to listen to what they're saying? A lot of it is so ridiculously vapid b/c they have a much greater tolerance for small talk. Small talk is fine in its place but one needs to move on to bigger things and introverts are good at that--a lot of extroverts can stay on the small talk forever. Yes, this is a generalization.
Sometimes in a group of people I find the conversation so thick, fast and uninteresting that I just zone out. No, more like most of the time, lol.

The purpose of this sort of conversation is merely to grease the wheels of social intercourse. Discussing topics requires a bit more brain power.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:03 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Yeah, it kind of is. I've invested the time to know enough quiet people to realize that many of them are that way because they have absolutely nothing interesting to say.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yeah, it kind of is. I've invested the time to know enough quiet people to realize that many of them are that way because they have absolutely nothing interesting to say.
Well that's better that having nothing interesting to say and saying things anyways.

Talkative people with something interesting to say =
Talkative people with nothing interesting to say =
Quiet people with nothing interesting to say =
Quiet people with something interesting to say =

Old 01-11-2011, 08:52 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Then you're unusual, b/c most outgoing people don't want to invest the energy to try to draw a quiet person out and if they're at a social gathering, they're often afraid that they'll miss something going on, on the other side of the room. Again, a generalization, so take it for what it's worth, but just b/c you don't fit the generalization doesn't make it mostly untrue.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:55 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,643,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Sometimes in a group of people I find the conversation so thick, fast and uninteresting that I just zone out. No, more like most of the time, lol.

The purpose of this sort of conversation is merely to grease the wheels of social intercourse. Discussing topics requires a bit more brain power.

I had to laugh out loud... I have been known to zone out during conversations too. They are usually when someone is droning and on about the same topic spelled out 20 different ways. Talk about boring, <yawn> so I zone... LOL

Old 01-11-2011, 10:39 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,221 times
Quote:

So is the Most Interesting Man in the World an introvert ?

http://www.chrisconrey.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/adtrack-dos-equisx-large.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-11-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
So is the Most Interesting Man in the World an introvert ?
I'd imagine so. He must be. After all, he's the most interesting man in the world, so think about how boring everyone else around him must be.

Just look at that picture! He looks bored to tears from all the less interesting people around him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships