Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 11:14 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,991,864 times

Advertisements

Currently I am working 2pm to 10pm Tues-Sat. I find this to be a difficult schedule to work as it relates to my social life. This does not leave me much of a window to meet women or anyone really. Most of my free time I spent waiting to go to work. Not much happens in my area on a Sunday and most people are back to work on Monday. Even if I happen to meet a girl I have worries that our schedules will keep us apart. I can't imagine a woman working a regular M-F 9-5 gig would put up with my availability. Just my thoughts, though. Perhaps not a reality.

I'd like to know how others might be dealing with something like this. I am looking for something new that would put me back on a standard schedule but beggars can't be choosers in this economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 11:23 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,197,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Currently I am working 2pm to 10pm Tues-Sat. I find this to be a difficult schedule to work as it relates to my social life. This does not leave me much of a window to meet women or anyone really. Most of my free time I spent waiting to go to work. Not much happens in my area on a Sunday and most people are back to work on Monday. Even if I happen to meet a girl I have worries that our schedules will keep us apart. I can't imagine a woman working a regular M-F 9-5 gig would put up with my availability. Just my thoughts, though. Perhaps not a reality.

I'd like to know how others might be dealing with something like this. I am looking for something new that would put me back on a standard schedule but beggars can't be choosers in this economy.
i know guys that loved this schedule. you go out after work and the bar is hopping and evryone is 1/2 lit already. you walk in fresh and find a nice girl to hang out with til last call. after that you're on your own.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:38 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,836,130 times
You describe the hours of my career up until a few years before I retired. It is a killer socially. I lost contact with many of my 9-5 friends over the years. If you can't meet suitable people at work, I'd suggest looking into whatever your local singles network might be with your emphasis specifically toward other swing shift workers.

Or maybe organize a meet-up for 2nd shift people or advertise in Craigslist to see if there would be interest in a second shift meet-up. Nurses and other medical workers in particular have the same problems that you do, as do airport, emergency services and other 24 hour enterprise workers. There are a bunch of you out there, the question becomes how to meet them.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:12 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,273,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post

You'd be surprised how many women have oddball schedules: hospital workers of all kinds, sales people (from retail to real estate), customer service and help desk reps, law enforcement, entrepreneurs, hospitality and hotel workers of all levels, travel industry workers, and writers and editors, to name a few. In fact, a friend of mine used to be an evening editor at USAToday and she had the same days and hours as you.

So don't let your job get in the way. There are plenty of women in the same boat. If there's one thing I've learned since going freelance full-time, it's that a whole other world exists outside 9-5. Unless you're gung-ho on dating a banker, your hours shouldn't be an issue.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:13 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,622,786 times
I worked 5 pm to 1 am for a few years. Worked mon to fri so I had the weekend open, even could play late on sun night. I was dating women long distance and only seen them on weekends so it worked out ok.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:15 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,896,145 times
This I know is true. If a man/woman cares for you they will make allowances and be open. Your schedule is what it is so be up front and honest about your schedule with anyone you meet. If you are interested in that woman then show her that you care about her enough to set aside time for her on your off days. You can still talk to her when you get off work or see if she would be willing to hang out with you when you get off sometimes.
*What is critical is that you don't invite her to hang once you get off work initially. You have to appoach respectfully and spend time with her on your days off. Be creative and think outside the box. You'll be fine and NO you are not undatable.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:26 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,454,810 times
I could write chapter and verse on this topic. My schedule is different literally every work day (and I work 22 days a month). Not only am I not home on a regular basis, I am not even in the same state most days. Nevertheless, I do manage to see several people when I am home..they are just great to be so patient.

In some ways, I like being here, there and everywhere.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,171,522 times
i have a friend who works this shift. he met a girl and on her days off she sleeps during the day so they can hang out late nights.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:20 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,991,864 times
Thanks for the advice, thoughts and stories. Actually meeting someone is the hard part. Perhaps I'll just have to hit up a bar sometime. It might be hard to find a place in Tempe not infested with drunk college kids but I'll give it a whirl.

But I'm still going to look for a "regular" shift

Old 01-11-2011, 07:49 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,057,368 times
I worked this shift when I still went to bars. For me, it was good for that. I would get off work at 11:30, and then meet up with some friends, and head to a bar around 12:30.

However, if I didn't go to bars, there would be nothing else to do. You miss dinners and earlier get- togethers, movies, or you get somewhere and everyone is leaving.

I also worked 3rd shift for about 3 years. That was much worse, at least for me, because I liked to drink.

Most activities revolve around the *normal* schedule of day work.

I think the idea mentioned about starting a meetup group for shift workers is good. Then you could do other things, besides drink!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships