Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 12:03 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times

Advertisements

Over the past 5 years, I've come across people between the ages of 20 to 28 who still live with their parents. The most recent example being a young engineer recently hired at my place of work. He's 28 years old, making over $100K/year and still living with his parents. He may have student loans, but with his salary it's highly probable that he has the resources to be on his own and out of the nest.

In addition, I have discussed the issue of "self-reliance" with my own 20-something year olds and the child of a friend, who finds herself in a similar predicament. When I discussed leaving the nest with my 25 year old, she looked horrified by the thought of being on her own and burning the bridges which lead back to the nest. My friend's child has zero (0) intention of moving out anytime soon despite being a recently hired RN, with no student loans.

I'm a product of the 70's and have been on my own since the age of 19. I could not wait to leave the nest and be on my own. Due to my experience, and that of many of my peers, it's difficult to comprehend why so many young people today appear scared of being on their own.

So I ask to those of you within that age group. . .why are you so afraid of being self-reliant, independent, having the freedom to take risks, deal with failures, make tough decisions, without expecting to be bailed out or handheld by your parents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 12:09 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,260 times
There is nothing wrong with living with your parents. They are still young. And it would be a smart thing to do. To get your debt smaller before moving out. Or to at least collect money so that you can buy a property with the money you saved up.

I should also mention. That some jobs do force the person to move out indefinitely. But still if you have good parents you would want to see them and keep in contact.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:11 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,980,411 times
It's not the 70s anymore. The economic future for many is not bright. I had to stay with my folks from January 2009 to July 2010 because of this economy. Things still aren't great but I'm out on my own again.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:12 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
There is nothing wrong with living with your parents. They are still young. And it would be a smart thing to do. To get your debt smaller before moving out. Or to at least collect money so that you can buy a property with the money you saved up.
25 and 28 is young, yet old enough to stop being a burden to the parents who've fed, clothed, raised, and showed you the difference between right and wrong.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
25 and 28 is young, yet old enough to stop being a burden to the parents who've fed, clothed, raised, and showed you the difference between right and wrong.
Yea. But then it comes down to the parents. And what they may agree with. If they want you out. Then you are probably stuck being out. If they don't mind that you stay. Then you can stay.

Some parents love their child and will go to hell and back for them.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:14 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Maybe they get along with their parents and enjoy their company?

I adore both my parents and would see nothing wrong with moving back in with them again and I'm 27 years old.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
It's not the 70s anymore. The economic future for many is not bright. I had to stay with my folks from January 2009 to July 2010 because of this economy. Things still aren't great but I'm out on my own again.
There is also that. Its a serious thing that needs to be addressed by the government. We cannot go back to manufacturing clothing or other cheap stuff and still be rich. So the government needs to make universities affordable.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:18 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,251 times
If the adult at home is actively contributing, then I see no problem. This is contribution in terms of chores, living expenses, etc.

It's not black and white though, since in some cases the parents want the child to stay, or remain living their at least.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:19 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
So I ask to those of you within that age group. . .why are you so afraid of being self-reliant, independent, having the freedom to take risks, deal with failures, make tough decisions, without expecting to be bailed out or handheld by your parents?
I literally do not know one person my age who lives with their parents. Among people that I know, it is rare for people to even live in their hometowns.

Maybe the issue is poor parenting among the people you know, or maybe it is a regional thing. Do you live somewhere like Manhattan or San Francisco, where housing prices have appreciated drastically since the 70's?

Old 01-13-2011, 12:23 PM

19 posts, read 58,311 times
Personally, I was more terrified with the thought of staying in my parents household, than actually leaving it! Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my parents and enjoy their company, but my old man raised me in such a way that by the time I was 18, yes 18, I'd be hitting the roads on my own. I'd always have Mom and Dad's support, but at 18 their job was done. They both instilled in me the kind of mind set that many of my friends (and my siblings at that! My how things are different for you, when you are the eldest....) that by 18 you should be chomping at the bit to get out of the house and experience life.

The minute I could, I was gone. The only exception was for 2 weeks after a surgery, and only because the Dr. refused to allow me to go back to my dirty, grimy dorm at college. That two weeks, after a few years of being on my own, was one of the worst two weeks of my life!

Personally, for my siblings (still scratching my head on how they missed the boat) and my friends, it's just lack of motivation....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships