Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 04:37 PM

86 posts, read 428,549 times

Advertisements

So I met this guy and right off the bat I liked him.. but the thing is our personalities clash a bit. Our conversations start of nice/friendly and somehow it ends up where one person gets a bit insulted. I like the guy but I feel like are always challenging and questioning each others' authority. He sometimes rubs me the wrong way with his comments but then I dont know why but I like him ..

But then I met one of his friend and his friend has hinted that he liked me as well. His friend is good looking and our conversation flows very easily where we can talk non-stop, and it probably be easier to just go after the friend... Yet I still for some reason like the guy that I debate with .

Is the guy trying to debate with me because that's his way of flirting... cause Im starting to get exhausted with it yet being the chummy girl that I am I go after him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 04:40 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,679,521 times
A debate that ends up with you feeling insulted is a pretty lousy method of flirting. I'd find it to be a turn-off, personally speaking.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:42 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times
I think the fact that you have experienced this early on leads me to believe :

1. It will always be this way

2. You have a passionate relationship meaning you both feel passionate about certain things....( this too will always be )

3. Either get used to it ( mine is that way and sure I could choose to walk away from an opinionated man, BUT he is passionate in many things and that is very, very good, which leads me to believe :

4. Your guy is likely a good passionate lover ( Don't quote me but if this works out, come back and let me know if I was right ! )

Old 02-25-2011, 05:22 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,677,336 times
theres a difference between a passionate discussion and feeling insulted at the end of that discussion.

i wouldnt be with anyone who made me feel insulted over my opinions.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:29 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,928,500 times
i agree that debating is not making someone feel ****ty. In the end you each should respect each other. Also if you end up "debating" all the time and u dont like it, id recommend not dating him. I mean can u imagine that on a daily basis.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:15 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,476,488 times
Oh, hell no, no debating for me. I've got to do that with my mother and it's draining. I can't imagine dating someone like that.

If you feel so challenged by him, good luck, because he will always be right, he will always want to argue with you over assinine things, life is too short for that shyt.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:21 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,646,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeerioS View Post
So I met this guy and right off the bat I liked him.. but the thing is our personalities clash a bit. Our conversations start of nice/friendly and somehow it ends up where one person gets a bit insulted. I like the guy but I feel like are always challenging and questioning each others' authority. He sometimes rubs me the wrong way with his comments but then I dont know why but I like him ..

But then I met one of his friend and his friend has hinted that he liked me as well. His friend is good looking and our conversation flows very easily where we can talk non-stop, and it probably be easier to just go after the friend... Yet I still for some reason like the guy that I debate with .

Is the guy trying to debate with me because that's his way of flirting... cause Im starting to get exhausted with it yet being the chummy girl that I am I go after him.
If he was meant for you, the words would easily and fluently flow out. They aren't flowing, they are CLASHING. If you can't accept his opinion and he can't accept yours, and this is ALL the time, I'd look elsewhere! Some things with men are nonnegotiable.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:15 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
I wouldn't exactly say it's flirting, it could be that the two of you like debating and debating each other. It's something other than flirting, it might be just that it's the way the two of you can relate, or a dominance thing.

Some married people seem to live their whole lives bickering on and on about everything. It's like they just like doing that. They bicker about what color to paint a room, what kind of dog to get, anything at all.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:25 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,646,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I wouldn't exactly say it's flirting, it could be that the two of you like debating and debating each other. It's something other than flirting, it might be just that it's the way the two of you can relate, or a dominance thing.

Some married people seem to live their whole lives bickering on and on about everything. It's like they just like doing that. They bicker about what color to paint a room, what kind of dog to get, anything at all.
I agree with long term marriage partners "bickering" about petty things. I see elderly do it quite often. No one gets to the point of the OP though. That sounds more like a argument or fight instead of disagreeing.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:31 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,313,115 times
Debating is fine but if you guys have no common values and it gets to the point where you are disagreeing about most issues, it probably won't work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships