Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you date someone with Asperger's Syndrome
Yes 10 30.30%
No 14 42.42%
Undecided 9 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:05 PM

453 posts, read 457,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knax View Post
this forum isn't really the right place to be looking for advice. The people here are usually cold. You better have a ton of money, a PhD, six pack, no male-friends ( because that makes you gay), and a big.... umm ego. So ignorant sometimes. You can't exclude anybody just because of this. People are different.... as somebody just said, either it's visible or not. It totally depends on the person. So, many will say "no", despite the fact they don't even know what it is, or if it's even visible etc. Ignorance is bliss.
And you don't have to tell anybody. Just get to know them, and if it works out - great. If it doesn't work out - that's ok, too. I hope you will find anybody, and I am sure that you will. I know somebody who has severe MS. And he does have a girlfriend. She cares for him. Now, THAT is love. If you know that you struggle with some things, then that's great. At least you know it. Perhaps there's something you can do to improve it.
Most people have no clue what Asperger is, so why bother telling them.
Again, I think you're not gonna get many nice replies here. You'd think the entire forum has Asperger's.
I wish you the best!

BTW. The U.S. is the only country I have ever lived in where everybody seems to have some kind of syndrome or disease. Here, they love to diagnose people with just about anything. Everybody got something these days. You are probably just like the rest of us. Nobody is perfect.
I am quite capable of empathy and all the other humanistic qualities a person can have as I explicated clearly in my original post. As far as people being harsh, tell me about it. They're the ones trying to make me feel badly when I'm being honest about my misgivings about dating single mothers. I do work out rigorously, and I'm pretty toned and healthy. I also study martial arts and know how to defend myself. Most of my friends are female - at least 60 percent. I don't have that nice car yet, but I will someday when my book gets published. Does that count? People all over the world have syndromes. Maybe you just don't hear about it as much because only China and India have more people than the U.S. I was a geography major, so I have an astute idea of what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
What exactly are you struggling with on a practical level? Maybe you should answer and address this question rather than focusing on Asperger's Syndrome. How do you even know you still have it? 20% of children grow out of it and no longer qualify as adults. You've proven yourself able to survive in harsh environments where teamwork is necessary, and to hold a good job, survive in normal sorciety. Maybe it all boils down to social awkwardness at this point since you don't have much experience with dating.

Personally I am of the belief that a label is of no practical value. I wouldn't tell anyone that you have it because they will either a) not understand, b) give you lame and unsolicited suggestions because their family member / coworker / friend has it so they think they are an expert.
How do I know? Because I've been diagnosed and treated by a licensed professional. I was re-diagnosed last year after I had another evaluation to qualify for a program by a state agency. That's how I know. Just because I'm not stemming, screaming, flapping my arms, or sitting in the corner beating my head, doesn't mean I'm not on the spectrum. People with Asperger's aren't like Rain Main. He was a savant. Unfortunately, that's the first thing most people think of pertaining to autism because this is uncharted territory for many people. I'm not mentally retarded, either. In fact, during my evaluation, I scored a 135 on the IQ test. You can believe whatever you want as I'm sure there are many people just as skeptical as you, but I know for a fact that I have it.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I lived in Europe for years, so what?
That has nothing to do with anything, except perhaps explaining your smug attitude.
Well, I've no desire to get into the general fight between the two of you, but NOBODY has ever seen as many billable codes as here anywhere! Please note the verbiage - I did not mean actual conditions and diseases, even though those are also way above the average in any developed and semi-developed country.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:15 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, I've no desire to get into the general fight between the two of you, but NOBODY has ever seen as many billable codes as here anywhere! Please note the verbiage - I did not mean actual conditions and diseases, even though those are also way above the average in any developed and semi-developed country.
Yes, I get what you are driving at, and I would say that there is a tendency to hyper-diagnose in quite a few cases.
But dont you think that perhaps we have more billables because of the state of the medical field here?

Old 01-25-2011, 08:16 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,082,598 times
You know I'm not up on my Asperger's Syndrome. I like how it has 20 something symptoms. It used to be "we think your child is hyperactive" Here's your ridalin...good...good little zombie...see their allll better!

Basically every kid that was disruptive in grades 1-6 was suddenly labeled as Hyperactive when I was in school. This looks like the new one.

Dr., Johny watches cartoons for hours? Hmmmm could be a severe case of AS!
Dr. Jenny doesn't listen...AS!

I particularly liked the displays weird facial expressions...My god I've never seen a kid do that one. Why look he stuck his tongue out at me...A.S.!!

Seriously?

12/22/12 CAN'T GET HERE SOON ENOUGH!!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knax View Post
this forum isn't really the right place to be looking for advice. The people here are usually cold. You better have a ton of money, a PhD, six pack, no male-friends ( because that makes you gay), and a big.... umm ego. So ignorant sometimes. You can't exclude anybody just because of this. People are different.... as somebody just said, either it's visible or not. It totally depends on the person. So, many will say "no", despite the fact they don't even know what it is, or if it's even visible etc. Ignorance is bliss.
And you don't have to tell anybody. Just get to know them, and if it works out - great. If it doesn't work out - that's ok, too. I hope you will find anybody, and I am sure that you will. I know somebody who has severe MS. And he does have a girlfriend. She cares for him. Now, THAT is love. If you know that you struggle with some things, then that's great. At least you know it. Perhaps there's something you can do to improve it.
Most people have no clue what Asperger is, so why bother telling them.
Again, I think you're not gonna get many nice replies here. You'd think the entire forum has Asperger's.
I wish you the best!

BTW. The U.S. is the only country I have ever lived in where everybody seems to have some kind of syndrome or disease. Here, they love to diagnose people with just about anything. Everybody got something these days. You are probably just like the rest of us. Nobody is perfect.
Are you sure that's really what they want or is that what you're after? Have you really done a consensus on this website here? You're the one who responded negatively. You also mentioned that your daughter lacks empathy. Maybe the possibility of her having Asperger's has nothing to do with it. Despite what people say, parents are the quintessential source of where kids get their values. Therefore, it might behoove you to take a gander in the mirror and start questioning your own motives and objectives before you make these grandiose statements. Just some food for thought. You can take it or leave it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
But dont you think that perhaps we have more billables because of the state of the medical field here?
Absolutely!

2,412 posts, read 5,082,598 times
I know people who are running corporations who had all these symptons as a kid. Know what cured em? A kick in the arse!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
A kick in the arse!
That's a great cure for a number of "conditions"!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:21 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daugenstine View Post
Are you sure that's really what they want or is that what you're after? Have you really done a consensus on this website here? You're the one who responded negatively. You also mentioned that your daughter lacks empathy. Maybe the possibility of her having Asperger's has nothing to do with it. Despite what people say, parents are the quintessential source of where kids get their values. Therefore, it might behoove you to take a gander in the mirror and start questioning your own motives and objectives before you make these grandiose statements. Just some food for thought. You can take it or leave it.
Exactly.
I see a whole lotta locked threads in that ones posting history, which isnt very long....makes you go hmmmmmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships