Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you date someone with Asperger's?
Yes 13 38.24%
No 13 38.24%
Undecided 8 23.53%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 4,683 times

Advertisements

I have Asperger's, and I have a more severe case of it. I have a lot of trouble socializing, I tend to say the wrong/inappropriate things without realizing it, and just about everything else that comes with Asperger's. I'm not stupid, in fact I have an above average IQ. I'm currently in school to pursue a degree to become a forensic scientist. Like most people with Asperger's, I have one main interest that I'm obsessed with. My obsession is with science. Often the only thing that I want to talk about is science. I'm 19 and I've had 2 short term boyfriends in the past, but both left me because of my Asperger's. The first because he "didn't want to date a retard", which is very inaccurate since I have an above average IQ. The second left because he couldn't deal with certain aspects of my Asperger's, such as the fact that I dont like to attend parties because of my lack of social abilities and my strict routines. My question is, would you consider dating someone like me who has Asperger's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 10:12 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,924,060 times
No disrespect, but if you familiarise yourself with use of the "search forums" facility, you will most probably find an answer to your question..............

//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...earchid=601527

Old 11-07-2012, 10:19 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,349,138 times
Hi Meghan. I am not in the 'dating' scene, so I did not vote. My daughter has high functioning Aspergers Syndrome as well and is also very intelligent. I actually worry for her whether or not she will every really be able to have a relationship due to her socialization skills, or lack thereof.

I understand that she has a different thought process and just thinks of things much differently than others, and people just do not understand.

I think it is a bit difficult for people who do not have it or do not have experience with it to understand or deal with the behaviors/actions/reactions of a person with AS.

I have never wanted my daughter to have to change the person she is to accommodate other people, but I do try and do things with her that help her with her socialization skills.

Wishing you well..... I know it's hard.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:20 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,813,382 times
This question has come up soooooo many times.

Would you date or marry a woman with aspergers/autism?
If a guy has Aspergers or High Functioning Autism, should he accept he will never have a date?
Would you date someone with Aspergers Syndrome?
Ladies, would you date a guy with Asperger's?
Dating/companionship for someone who is disabled (OP states he has been diagnosed with Aspergers)
Dating while autistic; should I even bother?

To answer your question, I have a teenaged son with AS, I work with kids and adults with HFA and AS, but as far as dating one? It would depend entirely on the person, because, as with "neurotypicals", you can't lump them all together.

Edit: Bobman, I see you beat me to it while I was copying/pasting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
No disrespect, but if you familiarise yourself with use of the "search forums" facility, you will most probably find an answer to your question..............

//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...earchid=601527

Old 11-07-2012, 10:27 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,476,279 times
As someone with mild AS, I found it more straight-forward to get intimate with non-AS females but I connect better and develop more meaningful relationships with other AS females..

Old 11-07-2012, 07:03 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,029 times
I have Aspergers. I've dated several men who found my "quirks" cute. My current boyfriend says he finds me "fascinating" and that he's enthralled by the way my mind works. So, not only are there people that aren't bothered by it, there are those who find many of our traits endearing

Old 11-07-2012, 09:13 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,854 times
Honestly, it probably depends on the quirks, and how good looking you are. If you're a drop dead gorgeous female, you'll have no issues. If you're a guy, probably much, much more difficult as you have to make the first move.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:48 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Would depend on the person, and how it affected our ability to connect. I've worked with people with high functioning ASDs for years, and can def. think of people I've worked with who I could foresee being able to negotiate relationships with others in the future, if, like would be the case with anybody, they meet the right person.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:26 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
I think anyone who would call you a 'retard' is just a pathetic person, be glad that you're rid of him. One of my friends, who I strongly suspect has Asperger's, actually recently got married.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:05 AM

120 posts, read 211,727 times
I will date a woman who has Asperger's syndrome but only if she is pretty like this women:

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/...pg?w=500&h=684

http://blog.artintern.net//uploads/w...9060822151.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships