Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Men, do you, or would you, wear an engagement ring?
No 22 59.46%
Yes, a small or simple ring 10 27.03%
Yes, a big or fancy ring 3 8.11%
Other (please see comments) 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:22 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
No matter how many precautions you take, birth control is never 100% effective. The only 100% effective way is abstinence.

I thought condoms were one size fits all. I heard they used to sell different sizes, but they stopped doing that because people were too embarrassed to buy the smaller sizes.
You really think this. Here's the reason why condoms break.

Yes, condoms come in different sizes.

One size don't fit ALL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 10:19 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post

One size don't fit ALL.
I think the child might be slowly learning.

He's admittedly never had sex, doesn't WANT to have sex, doesn't want to be married and doesn't want to have children. He played around with a condom but it didn't fit because he didn't realize that the penis needed to be erect before the condom was able to be installed.

We all need to help out the child as best we can, get him out of wearing girly pants and basically get him to man up and grow up and understand that at 19 years old his whole life is ahead of him, things change, life is a whole learning experience and he should embrace it and move forwards.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:24 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:

One size don't fit ALL.
But they are sized like fast food to protect the fragile male ego: large, extra large, super size, magnum.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:33 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But they are sized like fast food to protect the fragile male ego: large, extra large, super size, magnum.
I wonder if the female condoms would do something like that to protect women's ego as well: normal, tight, very tight .

Old 02-01-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'm only speaking of mature, responsible adults; a healthy, married couple on the same page. Jerry Springer stuff is a whole different venue
Jerry Springer stuff or not, men don’t really have a say when it comes to a woman’s pregnancy.

Quote:
The hundreds of little, unromantic things that go into a wedding didn't cross his mind. I don't think he would know what to do
Quote:
In hind sight, and ime, it's really not about the bride. And unless you're rich, a traditional wedding is not going to be about the groom either. It's about the guests and family
That could be. But think about it, the grand entrance of the bride while the groom was just standing there at the end of the altar waiting while everybody is sitting down, chewing gum, talking, playing with their phones, etc. As soon as people see a glance of the bride everybody stands up with complete honor and respect, camera flashes fill the room as if a celebrity just arrived, flower petals under her feet, people crying happily to see her walking down the aisle, grandma back there almost getting a heart attack :P , etc. Everybody wants to see the bride and take pictures with her. It’s not that different from a sweet sixteen or quinceañera.

Quote:
The walking down the isle is about the bride
If I considered getting married. I like the idea of her and me walking from the sides of the aisle to meet at the beginning of the aisle in the middle, holding hands face to face, and then walking together down to the aisle meaning how we came from different places in life, met, and together decided to take the big step of getting married which walking down the aisle together would symbolize. Oh well, that’s just me.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:47 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times
Quote:

One size don't fit ALL.
Then my high school nurse lied when she showed us how to put a condom on a banana. She said her husband used to buy the smaller sizes, but she claimed they stopped sizing condoms because men like her husband were embarrassed.

When they handed out condoms in one my classes, I'm pretty sure they were one size fits all. The person handing out the condoms had no way of knowing what size we were.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:01 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Then my high school nurse lied when she showed us how to put a condom on a banana. She said her husband used to buy the smaller sizes, but she claimed they stopped sizing condoms because men like her husband were embarrassed.

When they handed out condoms in one my classes, I'm pretty sure they were one size fits all. The person handing out the condoms had no way of knowing what size we were.
How old are you citydata??

This isn't sex ed, buddy. I don't think she lied. I think you weren't paying attention in class. Condoms are marketed in different sizes. Different colors and flavors. Hello, it's 20-11.

In my city, the free clinic hand out free condoms. The young people said, the condoms were cheap and one size. They needed bigger sizes. Apparently, more young people are walking around with a "monster".

I have heard the smaller condoms are given at clinics. I've never seen smaller size condoms. I'm sure it's out there.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:21 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Jerry Springer stuff or not, men don’t really have a say when it comes to a woman’s pregnancy.
Men have many choices. A man chooses to impregnate. Just as a woman chooses to become pregnant. To assert it's not a choice men make every day the world over sounds crazy to me. OTOH, you are correct that once a woman is pregnant it's all on her. She has control over her body, just as you have control over your body. A woman could not force you, for example, to get snipped even if she thought it would be best for the both of you in the long run. It's not her choice to make. It's yours.

Quote:
That could be. But think about it, the grand entrance of the bride while the groom was just standing there at the end of the altar waiting while everybody is sitting down, chewing gum, talking, playing with their phones, etc. As soon as people see a glance of the bride everybody stands up with complete honor and respect, camera flashes fill the room as if a celebrity just arrived, flower petals under her feet, people crying happily to see her walking down the aisle, grandma back there almost getting a heart attack :P , etc. Everybody wants to see the bride and take pictures with her. It’s not that different from a sweet sixteen or quinceañera.
That's pretty silly. She walks down the aisle for what, 15 seconds? And people are looking at her. You're really concerned about 15 seconds? Further, my dh walked down the aisle with his mother. My mom walked down the aisle with her dh. My brother walked my grandmother down the aisle. Everybody walked down my aisle. Ime, the bride's family is looking at her. The groom's family is looking at him. I'm reminded of this because when I was putting together a wedding album for my MIL all the pictures she chose focused on her son, her other children, and her side of the family (naturally). I think you have this worked up in your head based on some pretty inflated assumptions.

Again, I will state in my experience that it's not the bride that is the primary focus at a wedding, but rather the bride, over time, has been primarily focused on the wedding. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are some brides and some grooms that are under the impression that everyone is staring at them all night, they're the center of the universe, etc, but that's really a matter of lack of mindfulness than reality. Just look at these bridezilla shows. Why are these actresses always crying and freaking out? Because none of it is as they hoped. They're not as important to everybody else as they are to themselves.

Quote:
If I considered getting married. I like the idea of her and me walking from the sides of the aisle to meet at the beginning of the aisle in the middle, holding hands face to face, and then walking together down to the aisle meaning how we came from different places in life, met, and together decided to take the big step of getting married which walking down the aisle together would symbolize. Oh well, that’s just me.
I think that would be nice. Millions of people marry without the aisle. They walk up to a judge and just seal the deal. My best friend got married in a drive through chapel in Vegas.

Just remember that it will only matter to you IRT who is or isn't walking down the aisle. It's so unimportant in the grand scheme of things when it comes to marriage.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
OTOH, you are correct that once a woman is pregnant it's all on her.
Yep. Can’t really say anything about it but just go through with whatever decision she makes about keeping the baby or killing it.

Quote:
That's pretty silly. She walks down the aisle for what, 15 seconds? And people are looking at her. You're really concerned about 15 seconds? Further, my dh walked down the aisle with his mother. My mom walked down the aisle with her dh. My brother walked my grandmother down the aisle. Everybody walked down my aisle. Ime, the bride's family is looking at her. The groom's family is looking at him. I'm reminded of this because when I was putting together a wedding album for my MIL all the pictures she chose focused on her son, her other children, and her side of the family (naturally). I think you have this worked up in your head based on some pretty inflated assumptions.
It’s more than just a few seconds. There’s a reason why we hear such expressions “it’s her day…it’s the bride’s day…her dream come true…”. All the bridal magazines, bridal shows, bridal shower, etc. The whole excitement of waiting for the bride anxiously but when the groom is standing up there everybody is just sitting down, talking, playing with their phones, no euphoria as when the bride barely appears in the entrance, etc. What is a bit interesting is how a guy works it to conquer a girl’s heart, all his efforts, proposes, buys her the ring, goes to her family and gives them the speech, etc. Yet, the bride is the celebrated one. Even when they take the pictures. They will take some together and then bunch of other pictures just of the bride. It seems to be what people follow commonly. That’s fine. I have other ideas in mind if I consider getting married.

Quote:
Just look at these bridezilla shows. Why are these actresses always crying and freaking out? Because none of it is as they hoped. They're not as important to everybody else as they are to themselves.
I know, huh? Also, imagine how they feel if they have dreamed about that magical moment since they were children, which is common among lots of women out there, that fairy tale Disney Story dream that many don’t outgrow.

Quote:
I think that would be nice. Millions of people marry without the aisle. They walk up to a judge and just seal the deal. My best friend got married in a drive through chapel in Vegas
Whatever works for the couple, huh? I would plan my entrance like that, together. I see a meaning of it, which I mentioned before.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:31 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Yep. Can’t really say anything about it but just go through with whatever decision she makes about keeping the baby or killing it.
Again, same goes in the reverse. We can't try to control other peoples bodies. That's not to say that I don't support the idea in theory, for which my dh calls me a fascist. In the past I've argued for mandatory BC as a stipulation for continued welfare assistance. Same goes for men that have children (alone of via their mothers) on welfare. Snip, snip. Of course, that's not right, moral, etc.

Quote:
It’s more than just a few seconds.
I'm not sure what kind of aisles your talking about, but my walk didn't take all that long. Or you might be considering all the other people walking down the aisle, but I'm just speaking of the bride. Lets check out some youtube vids and count.

Ok,
this bride comes in at minute 2:06ish. It takes her 18 seconds to walk down the aisle.

This one takes about 22 seconds, but her dad is slow with the cane.

In that first vid the guests are spending the majority of the aisle watching looking at the wedding party. Of course, it is (maybe) to present the bride. I don't like the idea of that.

Quote:
There’s a reason why we hear such expressions “it’s her day…it’s the bride’s day…her dream come true…”.
Yea, and based on my experience, as stated, the sense of it being her singular day is because she throws the event. People are there to celebrate a marriage and that's what they do. Have you ever been to a wedding? What did you see? Birthdays, OTOH, seem more like what you're talking about. Birthday parties are not like weddings imo.

Quote:
All the bridal magazines, bridal shows, bridal shower, etc. The whole excitement of waiting for the bride anxiously but when the groom is standing up there everybody is just sitting down, talking, playing with their phones, no euphoria as when the bride barely appears in the entrance, etc.
Bridal magazines, the shows, etc fall into what I've been saying, a point you don't get and I'm not sure how to explain it better. I bought the mags, did the shopping, etc. I had to figure out how to get all the stuff mentioned and mags, while they have a dress on the cover normally, are where you find information on invitations, the favors, florists, photographers, etc. If men primarily planned their own weddings I have no doubt the mags would target them. That gives me an idea. I wonder if there are any gay wedding mags out there and what their covers look like.

Quote:
What is a bit interesting is how a guy works it to conquer a girl’s heart, all his efforts, proposes, buys her the ring, goes to her family and gives them the speech, etc. Yet, the bride is the celebrated one. Even when they take the pictures. They will take some together and then bunch of other pictures just of the bride. It seems to be what people follow commonly. That’s fine. I have other ideas in mind if I consider getting married.
Are we in an old black and white movie here? Conquers? Goes to the family with a speech? Really? Who does this stuff. Further, you're way off the mark with the implications that guys do all this work while women just sit back and fan themselves. It's completely false.

Plenty of us were not conquered (no thanks). Plenty of us informed our parents of the engagement. And we've already discussed the ring situation. Aside from the traditional engagement ring most likely being a sign of dated ownership, most young couples cannot afford flashy rocks. As noted, all of the brides I know have bought their husbands lovely wedding gifts (another tradition). With that said, most of the women I know out earn their husbands as well, but that's another story. The whole keeping tabs on gifts is worrisome, tho. It's petty to start. Frankly, if my dh came to me and said it's not fair that you get this thing and I don't. I want to be reciprocated, etc. I would have told him to hit the road.

As far as pictures go, there are plenty of pics of the groom. Just go to google images and type in picture of the groom and you'll find plenty. I have pics of my dh alone, pics of him with his groomsmen. Pics of him before the ceremony with his mom. And likewise, our photographer grabbed me with the bridal party, in the dressing room, etc. And then there are pics of us together.

Quote:
I know, huh? Also, imagine how they feel if they have dreamed about that magical moment since they were children, which is common among lots of women out there, that fairy tale Disney Story dream that many don’t outgrow.
Well, I don't think it's common in that it's common for most women. It depends on who the people are. These bridezilla shows typically have characters of a specific class. I think it may be common for them. Either way, there's a big difference between reality and advertising, or TV, or assumptions. Also, I think as we culturally mature the notion of dreaming of fairy tale weddings will die out. I grew up in the 80s and that's not what I was dreaming of, or any of my friends. I did want to marry superman, but I didn't think about the wedding.

Quote:
Whatever works for the couple, huh? I would plan my entrance like that, together. I see a meaning of it, which I mentioned before.
Yea, I wish the dh and I could have danced down the aisle together to a bit of psy-trance, but my mom wouldn't have had that.

My wedding was my mom's day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships