Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 07:55 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times

Advertisements

I really think the OP needs to turn to real-life friends at this stage. She has Internet, which means she also has access to email, Facebook, skype, and so forth.

Why not contact the people who care about you and tell them what you have told us? I know if this was my friend I would move heaven and earth to get her and her kids out of there. We are just strangers on a message board.

She says she has been physically attacked and abused. Her children are living in an environment of violence. Usually the mother's protective instinct will kick in and that is what moves abused women to action.

But in the absence of that response, at what point does social services get involved to remove them? Better the OP does it herself or risk losing them to the system.

For those who think this advice is not "helpful," I will say that the "comfort and understanding" approach hasn't helped much either, since she is ostensibly still in that house and her kids are still at theoretical risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 08:03 AM

36 posts, read 42,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
But yet he allows you on the internet..
Take your kids and walk out the front door??
And no I have no sympathy, since your able to get on the internet?
Are you serious, cause you couldn't be that ignorant. Have you ever heard of mini lap tops ?? Well, not that I need to justify myself to your incompetance of understanding. I have a mini lap top that fits in my purse , which I sleep with under my pillow. In addition, my husband and I haven't slept in the same bedroom for years. As for your sympathy dear, you can keep it. In fact, my sympathy goes out to somone like you, who has to undermine the severity of my situation, to satisfy your ego and need of feeling important. However, realistically, you really need to be careful how you treat others because you never know what situation you or your love one may face down the line. Don't allow your own words to come back and haunt you.
Have a great day

Old 02-01-2011, 08:22 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS738 View Post
Are you serious, cause you couldn't be that ignorant. Have you ever heard of mini lap tops ?? Well, not that I need to justify myself to your incompetance of understanding. I have a mini lap top that fits in my purse , which I sleep with under my pillow. In addition, my husband and I haven't slept in the same bedroom for years. As for your sympathy dear, you can keep it. In fact, my sympathy goes out to somone like you, who has to undermine the severity of my situation, to satisfy your ego and need of feeling important. However, realistically, you really need to be careful how you treat others because you never know what situation you or your love one may face down the line. Don't allow your own words to come back and haunt you.
Have a great day

No..I dont think so...have you contacted the police on the internet? I highly doubt..I dont expose my kids to negative enviroment and you make excuses why you do it?
You need to be more concerned for your children, because it seems your not doing a damn thing, Obviously your on the internet now..so what time are the police getting there?
Im in control of my life..Do you think I'd let anyone I know even go through this, No I step in wether they wanted me to or not.
How hard is it to walk out the door?
Ive read your posts and you just have excuses.
So stop using the poor me Im a victim..and do something about it.
Get your kids out of there so they can have a nice day...

Old 02-01-2011, 08:25 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I really think the OP needs to turn to real-life friends at this stage. She has Internet, which means she also has access to email, Facebook, skype, and so forth.

Why not contact the people who care about you and tell them what you have told us? I know if this was my friend I would move heaven and earth to get her and her kids out of there. We are just strangers on a message board.

She says she has been physically attacked and abused. Her children are living in an environment of violence. Usually the mother's protective instinct will kick in and that is what moves abused women to action.

But in the absence of that response, at what point does social services get involved to remove them? Better the OP does it herself or risk losing them to the system.

For those who think this advice is not "helpful," I will say that the "comfort and understanding" approach hasn't helped much either, since she is ostensibly still in that house and her kids are still at theoretical risk.
It may not seem like it helps on the outside, but you don't know what's going on inside MS's head. Sometimes it requires a lot of conversations before the person takes the leap. I had to talk about leaving for months on end before I grew enough balls to actually up and leave. So honestly, all we can do is try to help. We can't know exactly how much we're happening until we do start seeing effects, but don't underestimate the effectiveness of your words. You never know how much they may be helping or hurting.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:

WOW apparently this is an issue that you can not relate. Think about it, if I am on this message board, is that not making an attempt to to get help Needless to say, you don't know who I have reached out to.Have you even read my post? I have no friends or family, I am completely isolated and yes dear, the internet is all that I have right now, and as you are seeing , I am very much using the resource that I do have.
In addition, after reading your recent post, I see you are one of the ones that have no business giving anyone any advice. However, I am sure you will choose to do so . So why don't you just stay on the threads that will not highlight your ignorance.Wow!

Old 02-01-2011, 08:38 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
No friends? No associates? No one in your homeschooling group? No parents of your children's friends? No friends from high school?

You said your H took away your phone. Who was in your contact list? No one?

I have an idea. DM someone from this thread that you trust. Nimchimpsy or Jill or someone. Give them your name, email address and skype ID. They will call the police for you. They will call a domestic violence counselor. They will call a battered women's advocate. They will call whoever you want.

They will make sure someone comes by your house today to assess the situation and get you the help you and your children need.

Will that work?

Old 02-01-2011, 08:40 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
It's so easy to sit in your comfy chair and just demand that she up and leave. How about instead you offer some constructive advice, counsel or just a warm thought to let her know she's got people on her side?

That was my constructive advice!!!

Steal some money from him while he is asleep. I wouldn't need any money to walk out of an abusive relationship.

I don't understand why an individual could not see someone giving them smaller and smaller space as the years go on. First, a wide range, next you are stuck at home, next no access to money.

She should have left the first time he laid hands on her. She didn't. That is her fault and it's her stupidity to stay with a guy that long. They hit you ONE time you leave!!!!

She is in a 50 foot deep hole and now wants advice on how to get out. All of us are looking down the hole telling her HOW to get out and I bet she stays in the hole no matter how many ropes are thrown down to her.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:41 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
MS, when you said Atl, do you mean Atlanta, Georgia? I just wanted to make sure before I start looking up resources. I am more than happy to place phone calls for you but I should let you know I am probably not your best option as I'm deaf and have to use relay for the deaf. More often than not, people hang up on me and when I call back, they think I'm a telemarketer or scammer. I've also had my share of misunderstandings through relay because the operator misheard or mistyped something. You would probably be better asking a hearing person to make phone calls. I can look up resources online and email people though. If you still want, I can make phone calls through relay. Just let me know. Feel free to DM me.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
No..I dont think so...have you contacted the police on the internet? I highly doubt..I dont expose my kids to negative enviroment and you make excuses why you do it?
You need to be more concerned for your children, because it seems your not doing a damn thing, Obviously your on the internet now..so what time are the police getting there?
Im in control of my life..Do you think I'd let anyone I know even go through this, No I step in wether they wanted me to or not.
How hard is it to walk out the door?
Ive read your posts and you just have excuses.
So stop using the poor me Im a victim..and do something about it.
Get your kids out of there so they can have a nice day...
Thank you dear, but this thread is not for ignorance or foolish argumentive debates. Why don't you find a thread that is more political , that may make you feel more important, don't you agree? You never know, you might just get the attention you want there. Meanwhile, I really hope you got the attention that you obviously so much desire here, because I will not waiste another second of my energy, responding to ignorance.
Have a blessed day

Old 02-01-2011, 08:46 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
[quote=zentropa;17671678]No friends? No associates? No one in your homeschooling group? No parents of your children's friends? No friends from high school?

You said your H took away your phone. Who was in your contact list? No one?

I have an idea. DM someone from this thread that you trust. Nimchimpsy or Jill or someone. Give them your name, email address and skype ID. They will call the police for you. They will call a domestic violence counselor. They will call a battered women's advocate. They will call whoever you want.

They will make sure someone comes by your house today to assess the situation and get you the help you and your children need.

Will that work?[/quote]

I doubt it.

She mentioned the police were intimidating her. I think she failed to press charges on him and the police were frustrated with her not cooperating with them.

She needs BIG TIME counseling!!!!!

I would hope someone could rescue her and get her and her kids out but I don't see that happening. Her neighbor was the one that called the cops on her...why can't she go over there for safety? IDK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships