Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 07:20 PM

339 posts, read 1,287,068 times

Advertisements

I just moved to a new city a month ago. I don't have a single friend at the moment and pretty much my only way of meeting a potential date is either online or at a bar. The status is I'm not meeting anyone my type online, and although I do meet people my type at the bar, it seems to never go anywhere!

For example, this guy I met a few months ago while I was in the process of moving. We met at the club. He wanted to dance. We danced most of the night and he took me to breakfast afterward. We spent the night as well. The next weekend came around, and he stood me up saying he was spending the weekend with his foster son. That was in October.

Fast forward, we met again 3 weekends ago. Seen him in the nightclub wearing the exact same shirt as the 1st time I seen him LOL. He asked me to dance and we danced all night and we made out and he thinks I'm sexy. We exchanged numbers again (it was awhile since we last met). We both went our separate ways after the club and he texted me that night. Well, last weekend comes around and I suggest meeting up. He gives an excuse that he'd be helping his friend with an engine, but he'd let me know if he might have time. I told him that if he doesn't deserve to give me plans, then we could end the conversation. Of course he never did call me for that night. I spoke with him couple nights ago and once again his weekend is busy with other family plans. Yet last weekend he said it would be better to do it this weekend.

Well, I ended up going out and meeting someone else (who spoke to me 1st). We didn't dance, but met for breakfast after the club and although he wanted to take me home, I declined. Well...the problems are already showing up. He does not follow up on texts, and I suggested plans with him tonight yesterday after asking about his schedule...and he has not responded back to me.

So, tonight I want to go out again after work...but I am discouraged. Its like, you put the effort into meeting someone, and it goes absolutely no where. Its like guys are living this fantasy in the club, and when the next day comes, it's like you don't even exist. Its emotionally taxing to me...but at the same time, these are men who are probably at any other place. Has anyone gone thru the frustration I have?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 07:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
You meet the guy and five hours later you're in the sack? And you think he's going to call? As my grandmother used to say: If you give them the milk for free they are not going to buy the cow.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:30 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,387,108 times
Why do you think?

Nightclubs are for one thing: hooking up. Hitting and quitting it. One night stands. Sure, some people have met in a nightclub and married and ended up together 40 years later. You can count them on two hands.

Clubbing is almost exclusively for people wanting a one night stand. Why is it difficult to get anywhere with them after meeting? Because if they've had sex with you, they're done with you. And if they haven't had sex with you, you're old news.

Set your sights higher than a nightclub if you are intent on a serious relationship.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:32 PM

Hold on... I just re-read the OP and see you balled the guy within hours of meeting him.

LOL!!

And you ask why he won't call you, soliciting opinions on an Internet Forum?

Beyond belief, truly.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:34 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,046 times
Try to meet people in other places. And try not to sleep with random guys. That is something very risky.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:35 PM

I can't imagine sleeping with a stranger after a couple hours. And you wonder why you are alone? God.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:36 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,378,669 times
Why is it so difficult to get anywhere after meeting someone from a nightclub?

The nightclub is not meant for meeting someone with intention of having a relationship. It happens, but very rarely. People get intoxicated, they just want to have a good time and meet someone for a quickie. Even if you do meet someone, the chances of him being interested in a serious relationship with you after taking you home and sleeping with you are very slim.
Go out, dance, enjoy yourself but don't look for a relationship. You won't find it there.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:38 PM

881 posts, read 2,253,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
I just moved to a new city a month ago. I don't have a single friend at the moment and pretty much my only way of meeting a potential date is either online or at a bar.
I find this hard to believe. I spent almost 5 years in a very small city and still managed to meet people without having to use the internet or through bars. Volunteer, check meet-up.com, look for rec leagues through your city.

I don't think clubs are a good way to meet people for relationships - they are dark, too loud for conversation, and usually people have a little too much to drink.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:40 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,046 times
Maybe I am paranoid but I would be afraid to have a strange man at home (let alone inside my body), that is so risky.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:47 PM

339 posts, read 1,287,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I can't imagine sleeping with a stranger after a couple hours. And you wonder why you are alone? God.
Whatever, I said nothing about having sex with him. Besides he was just as happy to see me the 2nd time. Thing is, whenever it comes to seeing each other outside the club, he always has an excuse not to meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Why is it so difficult to get anywhere after meeting someone from a nightclub?

The nightclub is not meant for meeting someone with intention of having a relationship. It happens, but very rarely. People get intoxicated, they just want to have a good time and meet someone for a quickie. Even if you do meet someone, the chances of him being interested in a serious relationship with you after taking you home and sleeping with you are very slim.
Go out, dance, enjoy yourself but don't look for a relationship. You won't find it there.
But I keep telling myself, these are normal people. The guy from last weekend worked at a bank. If he was my teller and he asked me out, what difference would it make? I mean, don't people who go to clubs also go to school, work out at the gym, and volunteer?

That's why I'm on the fence. Other than the drinking part, what makes men from the club AUTOMATICALLY categorized as '1 night stand material?'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships