Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 12:11 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,658,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Yeah that's what YOU think.

No really, there are exceptions of course.

But I think there is a real tendency in most men to subconciously seek out the positive traits they experienced from female caregivers (not mothers per se necessarily) as children.

And in some cases, they subconciously seek out the negative ones too.

But a guy that says he wants to meet someone like his mom is a dork. A man might THINK that, but jeez, don't SAY it on a date!

I think I would commit self immolation if I thought I was even remotely like my MIL.

The evil cow is about the worst role model I can think of. And the last thing I want in Hubby is a replication of my Father...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 12:21 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,298,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Depends on what his mother is like. ...
Exactly.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:25 PM

52,387 posts, read 52,861,348 times
I like everything opposite of my mother. She was tall and thin. I like them short and meaty.

She was cold and distant.

I like women nice and sweet.

Never understood the nonsense about men liking women like their mothers.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:03 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,406,314 times
If a man had said to me: "My mother is the kindest most generous person I have ever met and I would like to meet someone with those qualities", I wouldn't find it strange, I would find it endearing and sweet. When a man has a lot of respect and love for his mother, it's a good sign.
If a man had said to me: "I want to meet someone just like my mother", that would be a huge waiving flag for me. You can never compete with a mother of a mama's boy.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:16 PM

20,311 posts, read 37,277,555 times
With a father and a mother, both which are supportive, caring, and provide the child with a feeling of safety, comfort, etc., more than likely a girl would unconsciously be attracted to men who instill in her similar emotions as what she became accustomed to as a child. And the boy, more than likely will unconsciously be attracted to women that resembles his mother. But sometimes the opposite can take place, of course.

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-13-2011 at 06:30 PM..

Old 03-13-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
If a man had said to me: "My mother is the kindest most generous person I have ever met and I would like to meet someone with those qualities", I wouldn't find it strange, I would find it endearing and sweet. When a man has a lot of respect and love for his mother, it's a good sign.
If a man had said to me: "I want to meet someone just like my mother", that would be a huge waiving flag for me. You can never compete with a mother of a mama's boy.
And you are correct. For example, a son who loves his mother treats her with respect, does not abuse her in any way, listens to her, cares for her, etc. In other words, he treats her the same way she has treated him from childhood. Once that bond has been established there is a pretty good chance that he will treat the women he meets in the same manner. From a man's point of view (a man who has had a good mother), another woman will rarely be equal to his mother. Therefore for a woman he cares for, placing her next to his mother in his heart is the greatest act of love to him. By then he has opened his heart to this woman.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I like everything opposite of my mother. She was tall and thin. I like them short and meaty.

She was cold and distant.

I like women nice and sweet.

Never understood the nonsense about men liking women like their mothers.
Well, you found the reasons why you like women the opposite of your mother: she was tall and thin, cold, and distant.

Being tall and thin may not have been a big problem, but a cold and distant mother is. Emotions are very powerful.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:46 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,099,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
somehow that is a turnoff to the average female despite being a noble and kind thing to say! Contrast that with a female who says that she'd like to meet someone the quality of her father. The average man would receive this comment as classy, and would show him that this lady is probably respectful.
I would consider it a compliment..

Old 03-16-2011, 05:42 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,805,283 times
I looked like my xMIL. Her and I had the same features. So much so, she had a pic of us on her desk once. A guy asked was that her daughter and SIL.

He never compared us, but he is a momma's boy. She never interferred in our marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships