Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 02:22 PM

5 posts, read 4,963 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I dont have a great track record with picking the right guy and wanted some opinions about the current guy I'm kind of seeing.

I started a new job about 5 months ago and have gotten close to my coworker. We sometimes work on projects together but we are in seperate departments so not too much interaction at work.

In the last month, we've hung out a few times. Nothing too serious. Things like happy hour with coworkers, lunch, etc. But last weekend we went out on an actual date and that's when he revealed that he has been divorced twice and has a 2 year old with his second ex.

I dont know all the details but he told me the big picture. Hes in his mid 30's. Also, I'm in my late 20's and no kids.

With his first wife, they dated all through college and got married shortly after that. They were together for less than a year before he filed for divorce. He said that he wasnt ready to get married but his ex gave him an ultimatum and he choose to marry her. Also, her student Visa was up and to stay in the country, she needed to get married. But apparently she was emotionally abusive towards him and he reached a point where he couldnt tske it anymore.

Then with his second ex wife, they were married for a little more than a year before they got divorced. From what he said, this seemed to be a mutual decision. His ex is a very invovled mom and was a helicopter parent. She wanted to control every aspect of their child. Plus she couldnt stand his mom's interference with their child.

So red flags????

From the time that I've spent with him, he has been nothing but a good guy. But I dont know. His history makes me nervous. The way he painted it, a lot of blame seemed to be placed on both exes.

If you were in my shoes, would you give this guy a chance or run far away??

I've never dated a single dad or someone who has been divorced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 02:27 PM

32,745 posts, read 48,403,474 times
He doesn't sound like a good investment to me.

General rule, it's not smart to date a person you work with.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
He doesn't sound like a good investment to me.

General rule, it's not smart to date a person you work with.

Dating coworkers seemed to be encouraged here lol. My manager actually actively seeks out single employees and makes sure we all know who they are. I think it is because we all work such long hours, it doesnt leave much free time to find someone elsewhere. But I dont disagree with you. Just a different dynamic here I guess

Old 02-07-2019, 02:36 PM

12,585 posts, read 17,002,788 times
Well, the percentage rate of success on a third marriage is very bad.

He sounds like he likes the idea of a committed relationship but then changes his mind.

Like making a large purchase and then returning it. Buyers remorse.

Yes! Red flags. I wouldn’t invest any more time in this. This will only end badly for you.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:41 PM

14,415 posts, read 11,852,151 times
It's really strange to hear that he divorced his wife after less a year and the main reason was that she was a "helicopter parent." If I'm counting correctly, the child couldn't have been more than a few months old at the time and is only two years old now. Of course she wanted to "control every aspect of their child," that's what you do with an infant and toddler. You have to watch them all the time, you have to make decisions for them, you have to know who is taking care of them and what they are doing.

I'm about as far from a helicopter parent myself as you can be, but this sounds weird. I would be wondering what he wanted to do with the baby that his wife wouldn't allow. And exactly how his mom was interfering with the baby that the ex didn't like but that he apparently thought was no problem. Was he unwilling to give his mom boundaries?

Last edited by saibot; 02-07-2019 at 02:54 PM..

Old 02-07-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It's really strange to hear that he divorced his wife after less a year and the main reason was that she was a "helicopter parent." If I'm counting correctly, the child couldn't have been more than a few months old at the time and is only two years old now. Of course she wanted to "control every aspect of their child," that's what you do with an infant and toddler. You have to watch them all the time, you have to make decisions for them.

I'm about as far from a helicopter parent myself as you can be, but this sounds weird. I would be wondering what he wanted to do with the child that his wife wouldn't allow. And exactly how his mom was interfering with the child that the ex didn't like but that he apparently thought was no problem. Was he unwilling to give his mom boundaries?
I think this is the first grandchild and his mom was being a doting grandmother, spoiling the kid and it bothered his ex. He gave an example where his ex got upset his mom bought the baby some clothes. Of course this is one sided, but that to me is not a huge thing to get worked up about. But again, ive never been a parent to a human child so no judgements here.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:55 PM

334 posts, read 228,985 times
Ever hear the phrase: Don't fish off the company pier? :-)

Old 02-07-2019, 03:01 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,816,541 times
I don't know, but he sounds like he is lying about the real reasons for dissolving two marriages after less than a year. If I had to speculate, I'd say he might be an abuser.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I don't know, but he sounds like he is lying about the real reasons for dissolving two marriages after less than a year. If I had to speculate, I'd say he might be an abuser.

Coukd be. Hes very well spoken and well liked at work. Seeing that side of him doesnt make me think he would ever hurt someone. But i guess you just never know until it ia too late.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:24 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,816,541 times
It would be useful to get the ex-wives' side of the story, but that's probably impossible. But you can always check for DV or other arrests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships