Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 04:01 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,636,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
I think it's more than a little disingenuous to see any issue as one of totally black/white, right/wrong. Some individual cases may be, of course. However, the totally polarized view can be very self-serving, because it automatically absolves the person judging from any responsibility. Sometimes they have no fault, but that's extremely rare from what I've seen. My ex had that kind of bipolar attitude, and was righteously sure she was right even when she could be proved wrong.
Some issues are black and white. Affairs are wrong. Murder is wrong. Stealing is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 04:03 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,636,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeek20 View Post
I don't know if selfish is the word i'd use to describe cheaters but imo if you cheat you don't deserve having a relationship with anyone...

Too bad people who get cheated on only break up some of the time... would be a lot more singles out there if they would.
Unfortunately, some of us have kids and it's the lesser of the evils, for them, to stay married. Divorce is hell on kids. While staying in an unhappy marriage isn't ideal for them, it's better than the alternative.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:11 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,573,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
There are all kinds of reasons you might have a momentary lapse of judgement and say something you shouldn't. They range from low blood sugar to illness to stress...That's just part of life. We try our darndest not to do it but it happens. It's not "allowed" but rather, understood. It's not ok but it's repairable.

Choosing to have sex with someone other than your spouse is in a totally different league. It is a deliberate betrayal. It's a chose to not be true to your word. It's, usually, followed by very conscious lies to someone who should be able to trust you.

My husband doesn't handle stress well. Especially if drinking. Yeah, he's said some not so nice things but no vows wer broken. It was fixable. Sleeping with someone else is not a momentary lapse of judgement. It's a deliberate slap in the face to your spouse. I'd compare it to beating your spouse. Both the wife beater and the cheater don't care how much they hurt their spouse because they're scum. They're not worth being married to.
"In the moment" is either an excuse or it's not. It only takes a momentary lapse of judgment or lowering of the guard to find yourself making out with someone. Especially when alcohol is involved.

Now, if you are renting apartments and motel rooms, rearranging your schedule on the sly, doing a strip-tease, etc, then that is definitely a deliberate and calculated betrayal. But the thread is about ONE TIME. One episode of physical betrayal.

If stress and/or drinking was the excuse my spouse gave for acting like an a-hole, there would be an no alcohol rule at my house and a new job/less stressful situation ASAP.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:23 PM

610 posts, read 1,298,270 times
my parents were never married by moved away from eachother when I was young, and kept their battle going for years until my father died.(and when My father died, my mother decided to declare war on grandma instead...who she's still at war with) I know the drill.

Still I don't think parents should screw their own life in risk of potentially showing their kids how the real world works.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:50 PM

610 posts, read 1,298,270 times
It would be increadibly hard for me to trust soeone who's violated my trust so badly.

It's like when a friend lies to me(about something that matters)... Just can't have it... after they've done that I never feel relaxed around them and feel like I have some sneaky something around me.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:54 PM

419 posts, read 651,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I agree that it stems from being selfish. You want your cake and eat it too and it takes a lot of balls to cheat to be so arrogant and full of yourself to think that it's okay what you're doing.

In my opinion and in my experience, if you keep your man interested by good conversation, good sense of humor, a feeling that you are always supportive (yes even if he brings home his kill for the week) fed, sexed, and keep the nagging to a minimum, it doesn't take much more to please them.... Men are very simple creatures, they don't require much but it seems what they do require a lot of women just don't understand...

Don't get me wrong.. I don't mean that this is ALL there is to keeping a man happy but in my honest opinion is just doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure them out. They are far less complicated than we females are.
Right. Because men only cheat on lousy wives. Got it. Women can do all of these things + and still be cheated on. Its almost like saying you can keep a wifebeater from hitting you as long as you do everything he wants. Men ARE very simple. A guy on CD said it best "the first time I saw a woman naked I had a strong desire to see as many other women naked as possible" sounds pretty simple

Old 03-17-2011, 04:59 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,329,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
"In the moment" is either an excuse or it's not. It only takes a momentary lapse of judgment or lowering of the guard to find yourself making out with someone. Especially when alcohol is involved.

Now, if you are renting apartments and motel rooms, rearranging your schedule on the sly, doing a strip-tease, etc, then that is definitely a deliberate and calculated betrayal. But the thread is about ONE TIME. One episode of physical betrayal.

If stress and/or drinking was the excuse my spouse gave for acting like an a-hole, there would be an no alcohol rule at my house and a new job/less stressful situation ASAP.

Yes, it is about ONE time, but didn't the person make a choice to put themselves in that situation? For example, if I go out drinking with people from work and I know that I might be tempted, why would I, if I am a married person, put myself in that place? If I find my co-worker attractive, then, I should not text them, send them flirty emails, have regular lunches with them, or go out with them after work. Common sense would stop a lot of these "in the moment" incidents. Don't let yourself be tempted. Don't leave your spouse at home, when you hit the bars...let your spouse be the one you get carried away with.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:01 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,704,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
A marriage is easily ended. Get out; don't cheat. It is really that simple isn't it? Cheaters will always try to justify their actions while knowing they are wrong. No one just says hey I am a selfish s.o.b., and I cheat because I want to. No, everyone finds an excuse, and in reality, there is no excuse. Even in the case of illness, there are ways to make someone your ward and look after them without remaining married. You can show your love after the marriage is disolved by continuing to visit them and pay for their expenses.

You said it perfectly. If the marriage is that terrible, then end it.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:02 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,329,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
Right. Because men only cheat on lousy wives. Got it. Women can do all of these things + and still be cheated on. Its almost like saying you can keep a wifebeater from hitting you as long as you do everything he wants. Men ARE very simple. A guy on CD said it best "the first time I saw a woman naked I had a strong desire to see as many other women naked as possible" sounds pretty simple

Ha...Good post. People that want variety, despite being married, are not cheating because they are not satisfied at home. They cheat because they WANT to.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:22 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,304,297 times
No.

That about covers it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships