Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:54 AM

5 posts, read 43,942 times

Advertisements

I'm 28 and have been pretty much single my whole life. I have been questioning my singleness lately because even though i am very happy and content the way i am, it kind of worries me that i know absolutely noone in my life that embraces the benefits of being single as I do. My family and friends think there is something wrong with me, lol, but I can never get them to understand that I just truly believe this is what i am supposed to be doing with my life. I guess I just needed to vent because when I visted home the other day my family told me i was boring when i told them I don't drink or go out to bars with my Friends much, lol. Then they asked if I had a gf and when i said no they responded with, "WHAT! Ur going to be 30 soon!" Does anyone else out there enjoy the single life? Or have any of you regretted remaining single durring ur youth/life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 09:09 AM

817 posts, read 813,856 times
Marriages and relationships with women are overhyped in the modern society, with most women acting like the prized catch instead of a compatible partner, no wonder a lot of young men stay single these days, so no, it's nothing wrong about the way you are, and if you are happy being single, you should continue to be so, don't listen to your family, because although they might advise you for your best, they still come from a generation where women weren't that mean as they are right now, so it's perfectly fine to be single and happy the way you are, also, don't worry about the age, men age better than women anyway, so even if you want to go after a woman in the future, you would be the one calling the shots, and show them the attitude that they display when they were a bit younger, not them.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:18 AM

6,408 posts, read 9,028,166 times
It's all about what you like. If you're happy being single, enjoy the life. Each person wants and needs different things. There's still far too much conformity in society.

Personally, I'm sick of being 29 and perpetually single. Though, I must admit, part of this feeling may be psychological as all my friends and cousins are married or in serious relationships. I've become the black sheep. It's very awkward at times.

I'm also tired of being alone and doing everything alone. I'd like to have something a little more than a friend can offer. It's also very annoying when people in public make it a point to point out my status. I'm sick of hearing "just one?" when I go out to eat, stuff like that.

There's also a feeling of not being accepted. The idea of a relationship is very appealing and emotionally fulfilling. Having a woman accept you must be a great feeling. It's one of those things I think many men take for granted.

That's just me, though. No fault in being a bachelor if that's what you want. It's your life. Live how you want to live it.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:30 AM

12,585 posts, read 17,002,788 times
I was perfectly happy being single at the age of 27.

There was a "so called" married friend who left messages on my answering machine singing, "It's Saturday night and I ain't got nobody..."

Another married friend would say stuff when dropping me off at my apartment, "What do you do in there by yourself? Stare at the walls or something?"

Then others who claimed I was gay. (so NOT true)

Now I am married and she is SO difficult. There is always something. I wish I could go back to the simple life of being single. The piece and quiet sometimes is all I ask for.

Anyways, there are always good and bad. The companionship like Bondurant mentioned but most often it turns to bite you and you are just a person to help someone else through life. If you are perfectly content being single it means you are a well-rounded person. There will be some lady that will use you to fill in all the voids she doesn't know how to fill and you will be a miserable servant. OR you can stay single and be the envy of all men in bad marriages.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:31 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,378,172 times
I am 33, divorced, never been happier. The only thing is my family supports me 100%, they only want me to be as happy as I can.

I am so relieved not to have pressure from them. The other people, I can not care less... I was married and it was a mistake, so maybe that is the reason why I am in no rush to get into another relationship.

I would love to casually date but I doubt I will ever get married again. My life is so peaceful this way. The only drama I have is when the cat wants to play and I want to rest LOL.... SO you are not alone, being single, unattached ROCKS!

Old 03-15-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
It's all about what you like. If you're happy being single, enjoy the life. Each person wants and needs different things. There's still far too much conformity in society.

Personally, I'm sick of being 29 and perpetually single. Though, I must admit, part of this feeling may be psychological as all my friends and cousins are married or in serious relationships. I've become the black sheep. It's very awkward at times.

I'm also tired of being alone and doing everything alone. I'd like to have something a little more than a friend can offer. It's also very annoying when people in public make it a point to point out my status. I'm sick of hearing "just one?" when I go out to eat, stuff like that.

There's also a feeling of not being accepted. The idea of a relationship is very appealing and emotionally fulfilling. Having a woman accept you must be a great feeling. It's one of those things I think many men take for granted.

That's just me, though. No fault in being a bachelor if that's what you want. It's your life. Live how you want to live it.
I go eat alone all the time and also go to bars (to eat, I dont drink alcohol) and no one asks me anything. I enjoy myself and go home... so do not take it personally, really.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:34 AM

5 posts, read 43,942 times
Ty all for the encouraging replies.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:36 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,654,021 times
NOPE!! As much as I LOVE having a lady, having someone to hug, kiss, hold, take care of, protect, take out on dates etc I enjoy having my own space and not having to deal with head aches and having the freedom to see what other lady may be out there. Sure, I get lonely at times but I am the type of person that even if I did have a girlfriend-I would want my space for a little bit. When I do have a girlfriend I like having a little absence and "me time" so we can miss each other and she can appreciate me more and vice versa.

Maybe when I get older I will want something more serious, as for now though-I am happy being single and mingling.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:38 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,654,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
I am 33, divorced, never been happier. The only thing is my family supports me 100%, they only want me to be as happy as I can.

I am so relieved not to have pressure from them. The other people, I can not care less... I was married and it was a mistake, so maybe that is the reason why I am in no rush to get into another relationship.

I would love to casually date but I doubt I will ever get married again. My life is so peaceful this way. The only drama I have is when the cat wants to play and I want to rest LOL.... SO you are not alone, being single, unattached ROCKS!

I am VERY happy for you and happy to hear someone like yourself who has been married and divorced say they are happy being alone. I just hope you don't turn into a crazy cat lady

Old 03-15-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I am VERY happy for you and happy to hear someone like yourself who has been married and divorced say they are happy being alone. I just hope you don't turn into a crazy cat lady
I am a very classy cat lady Seriously I love cats... I only have one though but she is very spoiled.

Cats are very independent. I was thinking about getting a doggie, but honestly with my MBA program, and my career, the church etc I do not have time and dogs are emotionally more dependent.

I am very content with my life. I was married for 7 years, and it is too much of a compromise. Right now, my time is mine and mine only. I enjoy a gentleman's company once in a while but I do not see living (sharing my space) with a man right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships