Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:06 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,010,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noellea View Post
I have no plans to date anytime soon. I'm over men for the time being. But I came into this forum hoping to find encouragement that when the time came for me to start dating again I wouldn't be throwing myself out to the sharks.
Sharks as in this forum or sharks as in the men you might find to date?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 12:06 PM

380 posts, read 796,484 times
Quote:
I have no plans to date anytime soon. I'm over men for the time being. But I came into this forum hoping to find encouragement that when the time came for me to start dating again I wouldn't be throwing myself out to the sharks.

Dont date the 10's and you wont be. The 10's are the sharks. Figure out what's important to you (and as a mid 20 year old with kids it shouldn't be looks) and focus on that.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:07 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,049,701 times
Quote:
I am obsessed with pretty much all other portions of city-data.com, so how I never migrated into the relationships forum before is beyond me.

I'm a recently single mother (2 yr old twin boys). I was with their father for 4 years and after YEARS of wanting to leave, I finally got the courage. I was having high expectations of hopefully one day finding someone who would love and respect me. That was until I came across all of the topics on single moms in this forum. People have some pretty nasty things to say about single moms.

One thing in particular that depressed me was a kid who said that single moms had to lower their standards because they were desperate. So a 10 woman, who would normally date 10s, would be left to date 6s if she were a mom. Brutal. And then the whole stereotype of single moms looking for a replacement father/financial support. Is that REALLY what men think about single mothers?

Am I, a 26 year old, college educated, successful, hard working, attractive woman, destined to lower my standards and get stereotyped continuously just because I am a single mother?
If you are bothered by people saying not nice things, the relationship forum is not the place to be.

This forum is pretty dismal and 99% of what get's posted here is crap. You have to have selective hearing to survive here, unless you want to get sucked in to the suckiness.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:07 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,852,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Just stick around for a while and you will be able to tell the mature, well-balanced men from the rejected, trolling manlets. It won't take long....I promise!
How about the rejected, well-balanced men?

Old 03-22-2011, 12:08 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,753,546 times
What is a shark?

400 pound man?

Old 03-22-2011, 12:09 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,333,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
How about the rejected, well-balanced men?
Well, some people believe in unicorns.......

Old 03-22-2011, 12:11 PM

817 posts, read 812,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefetio View Post
If you are bothered by people saying not nice things, the relationship forum is not the place to be.

This forum is pretty dismal and 99% of what get's posted here is crap. You have to have selective hearing to survive here, unless you want to get sucked in to the suckiness.
This forum is much better than most other forums I have found online, most people here offer genuine advise, whether it is something the OP likes or doesn't like is secondary, atleast most of the people suggesting here are sincere, also, I fear it might be a problem with the OP herself and the kind of men she chooses, her condescending attitude and her opinion of men as "sharks" pretty much sums up why she finds herself in this problem in the first place.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:13 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,852,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Well, some people believe in unicorns.......
OUCH

I walked right into that one.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:15 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,767,998 times
Quote:
Am I, a 26 year old, college educated, successful, hard working, attractive woman, destined to lower my standards and get stereotyped continuously just because I am a single mother?
when you're trying to appeal to the opposite sex, it's important to understand what they like. i reckon that seems obvious, but i will be damned if people don't pay any attention to it.

Quote:
One positive...I don't date men in my age group and never have. I am much more mentally and physically attracted to older men (my ex is 38).

But then again I run the risk of being labeled a gold digging 20 something year old. There is no winning.
nah. you will be fine. there are a lot of 30-45 year old men who would be falling over themselves to date an attractive 26-year old with a kid.

Last edited by le roi; 03-22-2011 at 12:30 PM..

Old 03-22-2011, 12:16 PM

32 posts, read 57,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter18 View Post
Good, and what advise did you receive here that would give you a heads up in spotting those "sharks", your condescending attitude and the fact that you think you are lowering your "standards"(whatever they were to begin with) without even acknowledging your role in the failed relationship you went through earlier makes you look not even a 5/10 in most men's opinion. Perhaps a change of attitude might be more encouraging.
So have you never been in a failed relationship? And that makes me condescending for saying I have standards? Everybody has standards and qualities that attracts them to others. I never said I was looking for a 10, perfectly fit, charming, attractive, successful man. All I want is to find someone whose company I enjoy. I don't need financial support just like my kids don't need another father. I own my own house, have my own job, pay my own bills and the boys father takes them every other week. From what I was reading on here, most men automatically hear single mom and think desperate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships