Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:19 PM

32 posts, read 56,971 times

Advertisements

I was just indicating that from the opinions I found on this site that I drew the conclusion that when I started dating I would be setting myself up for failure.

"Throwing yourself out to the sharks" is a pretty popular expression where I'm from. It wasn't any implication of the dating pool being unworthy of my time, but just that I would be putting myself into a hostile/no win situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 12:20 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
The fact remains that most single moms are looking for a father to their children, period. The companionship comes after they feel he would be a great father to their children. How many moms you know are forthright enough to say they have children upfront? Not many. I would definitely be open to being with a single mother, but the fact is I'd have to take her children, then her.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:20 PM

513 posts, read 897,371 times
i've found that the women who look only for a 10 or only for a father/financial provider usually end up either lonely or wishing they had a way out of a horrible relationship. any man not interested in you because of your kids is a man not worth having in the first place, so don't worry about those knuckleheads. they may be used to relieve to tension occassionally, but for a real relationship you want a man that loves your kids as much as you.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:21 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
OUCH

I walked right into that one.
Yep, you did but I'm joking with ya! http://bestsmileys.com/lol/25.gif (broken link)

Old 03-22-2011, 12:22 PM

817 posts, read 811,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noellea View Post
So have you never been in a failed relationship? And that makes me condescending for saying I have standards? Everybody has standards and qualities that attracts them to others. I never said I was looking for a 10, perfectly fit, charming, attractive, successful man. All I want is to find someone whose company I enjoy. I don't need financial support just like my kids don't need another father. I own my own house, have my own job, pay my own bills and the boys father takes them every other week. From what I was reading on here, most men automatically hear single mom and think desperate.
The fact that you have standards doesn't make it condescending, the fact that you refer to men as "sharks"(whatever it means in your language) makes it so, and having made that reference, I am bound to assume that you had been attracted to "sharks" so far in the first place, why is perhaps why you want to avoid them now, don't you think that it could have been a problem with you to begin with which might have attracted you to those "sharks" in the first place?

And if you are not looking for a man who's 10/10(again this 10/10 is subjective, your definition of a 10/10 could be a football athlete with washboard abs and a million dollar home, and mine could be a man with a stable job and a sane head over his shoulders), what's the problem? I am sure there are lots of decent men out there, there's no reason for someone to be wary of those so called "sharks" if they don't have a problem to begin with.

P.S.: NO, I HAVE NEVER BEEN IN A FAILED RELATIONSHIP, REASON BEING THAT I USE LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE TO CHOOSE A PARTNER THAN GO BY WHAT SOME GUY IN MY GROUP THINKS IS A HOT WOMAN, OR GO BY SOME MUNDANE RATING OF 9/10 OR 10/10 FOR WOMEN

Old 03-22-2011, 12:26 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter18 View Post
P.S.: NO, I HAVE NEVER BEEN IN A FAILED RELATIONSHIP, REASON BEING THAT I USE LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE TO CHOOSE A PARTNER THAN GO BY WHAT SOME GUY IN MY GROUP THINKS IS A HOT WOMAN, OR GO BY SOME MUNDANE RATING OF 9/10 OR 10/10 FOR WOMEN
Or a whacked out online forum that's the melting pot of the crazies

Old 03-22-2011, 12:27 PM

817 posts, read 811,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Or a whacked out online forum that's the melting pot of the crazies

Old 03-22-2011, 12:29 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,047,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noellea View Post
I was just indicating that from the opinions I found on this site that I drew the conclusion that when I started dating I would be setting myself up for failure.

"Throwing yourself out to the sharks" is a pretty popular expression where I'm from. It wasn't any implication of the dating pool being unworthy of my time, but just that I would be putting myself into a hostile/no win situation.
This is not a good place to come for affirmation. If that's what you want, call your dad or have a night out with your girlfriends.

If I listened to all the things said about single dads (or short guys, or shy guys, or nice guys, or white guys, or young guys, or etc.) on here, I wouldn't have a very high opinion of myself. But I don't, because I already know myself and don't need a bunch of strangers to tell me how life is. Ok, that last part isn't entirely true... I do have my days when I take things to personal.

I guess to put things plainly, your expectations for this forum are way too high. People don't write their posts thinking "oh no, what will noellea think?". I'm not busting your chops, just trying to show you how your attitude is only hurting yourself.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:30 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefetio View Post
This is not a good place to come for affirmation. If that's what you want, call your dad or have a night out with your girlfriends.

If I listened to all the things said about single dads (or short guys, or shy guys, or nice guys, or white guys, or young guys, or etc.) on here, I wouldn't have a very high opinion of myself. But I don't, because I already know myself and don't need a bunch of strangers to tell me how life is. Ok, that last part isn't entirely true... I do have my days when I take things to personal.

I guess to put things plainly, your expectations for this forum are way too high. People don't write their posts thinking "oh no, what will noellea think?". I'm not busting your chops, just trying to show you how your attitude is only hurting yourself.
You left the Indian guys who smell like curry. I protest

Old 03-22-2011, 12:30 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,645,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesux View Post
i've found that the women who look only for a 10 or only for a father/financial provider usually end up either lonely or wishing they had a way out of a horrible relationship. any man not interested in you because of your kids is a man not worth having in the first place, so don't worry about those knuckleheads. they may be used to relieve to tension occassionally, but for a real relationship you want a man that loves your kids as much as you.
A 26 year old man? Really??? You have A LOT to learn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships