Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 04:07 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,644,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Not trying to be mean or anything, but you are in competition with the late 20- early 30s year old college educated, successful, hard working, attractive women out there who do not have a child. I think it's realistic to accept that some men will be "out of your league" due to this fact. But at the same time, you probably wouldn't want to be with men like that anyways (not that there is something wrong with men who don't want to be tied to children that aren't biologically theirs - it is a valid choice).

So it probably will all work out for the best. The reality is that you are somewhat limited, but it's also not the end of the world by a far stretch.
Finally a realistic and truthful response from a woman!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 04:25 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bad-John View Post
Any man from the model looking doctor to the fat, short, bald, poor man can/could reject any woman with kids. It hurts worse when a fat bald guy does it.
That's not news. Everybody can/could reject anyone they don't want to be with.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
That's not news. Everybody can/could reject anyone they don't want to be with.
It's when the women get rejected, even though they are great looking for a gal who doesn't have a child and is a better match. That gal who ended up getting picked in the end was probably ridiculed by the former a great portion of her life. It's a real b****!

Old 03-23-2011, 04:39 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,040 times
Quote:
It's when the women get rejected, even though they are great looking for a gal who doesn't have a child and is a better match. That gal who ended up getting picked in the end was probably ridiculed by the former a great portion of her life. It's a real b****!
I honestly don't understand what you're trying to say in your post. I'm lost.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
I honestly don't understand what you're trying to say in your post. I'm lost.
The poor gal who sits at home and cried her eyes out for what all the meanies told her. What's your problem? No man wants you! Get on a diet! Those clothes look terrible. You know, women to women is the WORST! Well, karma comes around!

Old 03-23-2011, 04:53 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noellea View Post
I am obsessed with pretty much all other portions of city-data.com, so how I never migrated into the relationships forum before is beyond me.

I'm a recently single mother (2 yr old twin boys). I was with their father for 4 years and after YEARS of wanting to leave, I finally got the courage. I was having high expectations of hopefully one day finding someone who would love and respect me. That was until I came across all of the topics on single moms in this forum. People have some pretty nasty things to say about single moms.

One thing in particular that depressed me was a kid who said that single moms had to lower their standards because they were desperate. So a 10 woman, who would normally date 10s, would be left to date 6s if she were a mom. Brutal. And then the whole stereotype of single moms looking for a replacement father/financial support. Is that REALLY what men think about single mothers?

Am I, a 26 year old, college educated, successful, hard working, attractive woman, destined to lower my standards and get stereotyped continuously just because I am a single mother?
I married a girl with a kid.

I met her when he was 4 1/2.

The thing you will have to keep in mind is you cannot insult him as if he isn't treating your kids like they're his. They're not his.

Sometime down the road when a man comes into your life a good guy will bond with those boys and will raise him as if they are his. When he disciplines them he is showing your boys love. Make sure you never put him down or make him feel he is treating them unloving cause they are not his.

All of this is complicated but when my wife said things like that to me it upset me. I treat him as if he is mine. Make sure you don't use that card. Then later your boys may want to say, "You're not my Dad why should I listen to you!!?"

Right now get you life back in order. Help your boys to adjust to the new arrangement and later in a year or two you can start dating.

Hopefully you will find a nice guy while they are still young.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:32 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,865,897 times
Meh, I think I've exhausted enough the reasons why lots of guys around my age don't really want to date single mothers, reasons all the more justified.

I will say this, if a man does turn you down... don't get upset. Try to understand that men are usually the ones who put everything at risk in pursuing a relationship. Some of us have, or had aspirations of dating a woman we would marry and start a family but that's not the reality we live in anymore.

A woman with kids is just a far bigger risk for a single childless man, than a divorced man with kids. It's not being cruel, just that I think of lot of guys are finally getting fed up with feeling like a second class citizens in a relationship and are speaking out in record numbers now. It's all over the internet.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:35 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
A woman with kids is just a far bigger risk for a single childless man, than a divorced man with kids. It's not being cruel, just that I think of lot of guys are finally getting fed up with feeling like a second class citizens in a relationship and are speaking out in record numbers now. It's all over the internet.
That's alot of it. We men realize that when you get involved with a single mother, you will ALWAYS be an outsider. You will never really be a family or on even level with the kids. That...not drama...is why most men will not get involved in a serious committed relationship with a single mom.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:28 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
The poor gal who sits at home and cried her eyes out for what all the meanies told her. What's your problem? No man wants you! Get on a diet! Those clothes look terrible. You know, women to women is the WORST! Well, karma comes around!
I don't get some of the anger/hostility on this thread. Simply because a woman who's a mother wants a great man?

I am confused. I think I could even understand some people saying "No, I wouldn't go out with a woman who had children" (that's not such a rare thing) but the anger attached to it, the "How dare you???" thing is what I'm not getting.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:30 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
Meh, I think I've exhausted enough the reasons why lots of guys around my age don't really want to date single mothers, reasons all the more justified.
Eh, that's okay, because the OP doesn't need lots of guys...she just needs (well, wants) one. And one is definitely out there, OP. Actually, a lot more than one. You'll find the right guy for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships