Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 08:42 PM

690 posts, read 2,107,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Did you two talk about any of these issues before moving in together?
No, we barely discussed anything before we moved out here. And I know that's bad. But it all happened so fast. He was in such a hurry to leave because he really hated his job back home. He was honest about it from the get-go. I knew right when we first started dating that he was planning to move to Denver before 2010 was over. His mind was made up, if I hadn't moved with him, we would have broken up and I didn't want that.

It's so weird. At his last job, it wasn't unusual for him to work more than 60 hour weeks. He never struck me as lazy back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 08:42 PM

806 posts, read 2,340,874 times
What are his interests, or what kind of jobs is he applying for?

My husband was among the unemployed all last summer, and after seeing him do the video game thing, I was getting pissed too! I said, just go to Home Depot and DO SOMETHING!
Men want to work at a place they find fulfilling.
I could work at WalMart as a greeter if I had to, and it wouldn't bother me, as long as I get a paycheck, he, on the other hand couldn't because he has experience and would only work at a place he is used to working at..
Luckily the skies opened and he landed a job at a place he vowed never to work. Paycheck is good though!!!
Hang in there. Don't dump him, "encourage" him!!
I'd definitely be asking every day-So, how many apps did you get out today?!
It is SO rough out there, seems worse for men right now, at least in my town...

Old 03-23-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bad-John View Post
He shouldn't get p*ssed if he is told.... YOU HAVE TO HON!! If he is any kind of guy at all he will do it.
Yeah...but I probably shouldn't mention it to him tonight. I should wait until I'm not upset and calm and not annoyed with him. But, then again, when I'm not upset and I'm calm and not annoyed with him...it doesn't seem like such a terrible problem. Hmm...

Old 03-23-2011, 08:46 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
No, we barely discussed anything before we moved out here. And I know that's bad. But it all happened so fast. He was in such a hurry to leave because he really hated his job back home. He was honest about it from the get-go. I knew right when we first started dating that he was planning to move to Denver before 2010 was over. His mind was made up, if I hadn't moved with him, we would have broken up and I didn't want that.

It's so weird. At his last job, it wasn't unusual for him to work more than 60 hour weeks. He never struck me as lazy back then.
Well, if you wanted him so badly, then it sounds like you need to stick it out for awhile. You admit you both made a mistake in moving across the country and moving in together without discussing it first.

If he wasn't lazy before, he likely is just going through a bad time and being unable to find work in a slumping economy would be depressing for most people. If you are compatible in most ways, I would give him a little more time.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:46 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,644,406 times
Quote:
Yeah...but I probably shouldn't mention it to him tonight. I should wait until I'm not upset and calm and not annoyed with him. But, then again, when I'm not upset and I'm calm and not annoyed with him...it doesn't seem like such a terrible problem. Hmm...
I'd just tell him. The first word could get him on the move in the morning. He still has two more days this week to look.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILANI View Post
What are his interests, or what kind of jobs is he applying for?

My husband was among the unemployed all last summer, and after seeing him do the video game thing, I was getting pissed too! I said, just go to Home Depot and DO SOMETHING!
Men want to work at a place they find fulfilling.
I could work at WalMart as a greeter if I had to, and it wouldn't bother me, as long as I get a paycheck, he, on the other hand couldn't because he has experience and would only work at a place he is used to working at..
Luckily the skies opened and he landed a job at a place he vowed never to work. Paycheck is good though!!!
Hang in there. Don't dump him, "encourage" him!!
I'd definitely be asking every day-So, how many apps did you get out today?!
It is SO rough out there, seems worse for men right now, at least in my town...
Wow..that sounds a lot like what's going on with my boyfriend! He wants a job that is worthy of him. He's used to a making about a lot more than I can imagine making...so he acts even reluctant to work at a job that pays $50k (whereas I would be thrilled with that). The problem is...he hated his jobs that paid those big bucks. The only way most people get those kinds of jobs is from either being the CEO's nephew or by working at a job that consumes your life and that a normal person would hate.

So what happened with your husband? Did he get a job in his field? And how long did he look for work?

Old 03-23-2011, 08:49 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,354 times
I know it is a big trouble for everyone, I think I can not stay with more than 1 year!!!

Old 03-23-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Well, if you wanted him so badly, then it sounds like you need to stick it out for awhile. You admit you both made a mistake in moving across the country and moving in together without discussing it first.

If he wasn't lazy before, he likely is just going through a bad time and being unable to find work in a slumping economy would be depressing for most people. If you are compatible in most ways, I would give him a little more time.
Thank you. That's good advice. I should be less impatient.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bad-John View Post
I'd just tell him. The first word could get him on the move in the morning. He still has two more days this week to look.
Eh...we've actually discussed it before. It didn't go so well. First of all, most people don't like getting advice. He certainly doesn't feel like he needs advice on getting a job from me. And, secondly, he said that he didn't question or judge my job-searching strategy when I was unemployed and that it's not fair to do it to him. And, sometimes I think he's got a point. Maybe if he's really picky and doesn't jump all over every job listing we find, maybe he'll find a really sweet job? I don't know.

But, at the same time, I would love to be working on my dream job, too. Instead, I'm working at a job I really don't like much. I think that's probably the way it is for most people. Part of being a grown-up is accepting the fact that very few people get to work at jobs they love.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:04 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,644,406 times
Quote:
Eh...we've actually discussed it before. It didn't go so well. First of all, most people don't like getting advice. He certainly doesn't feel like he needs advice on getting a job from me. And, secondly, he said that he didn't question or judge my job-searching strategy when I was unemployed and that it's not fair to do it to him. And, sometimes I think he's got a point. Maybe if he's really picky and doesn't jump all over every job listing we find, maybe he'll find a really sweet job? I don't know.

But, at the same time, I would love to be working on my dream job, too. Instead, I'm working at a job I really don't like much. I think that's probably the way it is for most people. Part of being a grown-up is accepting the fact that very few people get to work at jobs they love.
I wouldn't know. I have a job until I don't want it anymore. Rain or shine...good times or bad. That's WHY I chose it. I think he could find something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships