Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 09:01 AM

10 posts, read 17,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegotsoul831 View Post
Maybe some men are guilty. However, Ive not came across many.
But your version sounds a bit different, whereas that was one date, where dad was just glad to see his daughter out somewhere.
Were you in a relationship with dad? And it also doesnt sound as if besides that one occasion, the daughter was being invited to involve herself in your daily lives. Or was she?
Nope. This was the first date with the guy. And according to the waitress that works there his daughter hangs out there all the time. So he knew most likely that she was there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 09:03 AM

10 posts, read 17,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Whats wrong sweetie? Sulphur Springs not a hot bed of action????
Ha, Ha! I grew in Dallas, so I have seen my share of weirdo's, but I thought that it would be a little normal in a small town. I have found out how wrong I am!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:23 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,336,342 times
Quote:
More than twice, I must admit, that I have involved myself with women who have grown kids still living at home, most times, barely employed. And usually one of them wants to control mom's love life, while neglecting to pursue any kind of life of their own.

But what really blows me away is how mom, my prospective girlfriend, always denies whats in front of her face, allowing this, making these overgorown brats feel that they should be able to boss me around as well! Oh I believe in fmaily love too. But shouldnt there be a line drawn about this at some point?
I don't know why some women get themselves into this situation with their kids. Is it a fear of being alone, not being liked by their children, can't untie the apron strings....who knows?

It's a sad fact and contributes to the current trend of the "adult-child" in today's society. Grown men/women who have no desire to be independent, career-driven or have any sense of adult responsibility.

Either way, you are smart to end these relationships quickly as they will only lead to frustration, arguments and having to constantly fight for your place in the relationship.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:38 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,237,468 times
Quote:
More than twice, I must admit, that I have involved myself with women who have grown kids still living at home, most times, barely employed. And usually one of them wants to control mom's love life, while neglecting to pursue any kind of life of their own.

But what really blows me away is how mom, my prospective girlfriend, always denies whats in front of her face, allowing this, making these overgorown brats feel that they should be able to boss me around as well! Oh I believe in fmaily love too. But shouldnt there be a line drawn about this at some point?
Well, you are dealing with someone who has no grasp on reality.

I mean, let me put it this way. Occasionally, especially in this current economy, children must sometimes move back in with the folks. That's really not the issue, because that's what families are for.

What really is the problem is when the child has Failure To Launch issues. And when that is the case, that is the parent's fault. A 25-year-old should have some kind of goal and objective in life, even if it's to live in his own place and pay his own bills. That's the bare minimum. And if that person doesn't have it, it's the parent's job to make them have it.

And if that child is interfering in the parent's relationships, that's when you walk away. Because you'll never be able to fix that problem. Blood is thicker than water, and the parent will almost always take the child's side. You can't win.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:52 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,257,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoo View Post
It is not just women like this, men also.
I went on a date with a guy last year and I was totally set up. We went out for dinner, to a place that he wanted to go and his daughter and her boyfriend were already there. He insisted on sitting with them, and come to find out that the daughter did not work and she was still living at home. She was 28. Of course the conversation revolved around his daughter, and she basically ignored me even though I tried to talk to her and make the best of the evening. Believe it or not he called me a couple of days later. And I let voice mail pick up. His message was to ask me to come to his house and cook for his daughters birthday party.
Surreal!

Old 03-25-2011, 10:01 AM

697 posts, read 1,283,006 times
but the question still remains.... can you cook.. ok i will run and hide now

Old 03-25-2011, 10:03 AM

10,218 posts, read 17,926,074 times
Quote:
I dont think I said anywhere that I still am.
Well you said "More than twice, I must admit, that I have involved myself with women who" - so if you've dated at least 3 women of this nature than you obviously are attracted to women like this.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:21 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,781,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

I mean, let me put it this way. Occasionally, especially in this current economy, children must sometimes move back in with the folks. That's really not the issue, because that's what families are for.

What really is the problem is when the child has Failure To Launch issues. And when that is the case, that is the parent's fault. A 25-year-old should have some kind of goal and objective in life, even if it's to live in his own place and pay his own bills. That's the bare minimum. And if that person doesn't have it, it's the parent's job to make them have it.

And if that child is interfering in the parent's relationships, that's when you walk away. Because you'll never be able to fix that problem. Blood is thicker than water, and the parent will almost always take the child's side. You can't win.
I understand the desire to have your adult kids around, but not if they are loafing and freeloading. I sent my daughter out of state to college, but when she graduates I hope she will come back home to live with me and her younger sister until she gets on her feet. She is even welcome to live here as long as she likes so long as she can contribute to the mortgage and refrigerator and pay her personal expenses.

What can I say, I like having her around. She makes me laugh and we share the same interests.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:41 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,237,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I understand the desire to have your adult kids around, but not if they are loafing and freeloading. I sent my daughter out of state to college, but when she graduates I hope she will come back home to live with me and her younger sister until she gets on her feet. She is even welcome to live here as long as she likes so long as she can contribute to the mortgage and refrigerator and pay her personal expenses.

What can I say, I like having her around. She makes me laugh and we share the same interests.
True. I'll be sad to see mine leave, too. But there's a vast difference between temporarily living with mom and simply interfering in their lives. I would also respectfully offer that an indefinite time living with a parent after graduation is ultimately not good for the child.

I say that because I've seen too many boomerang kids who find that it's just too easy to live with mom and dad than live on their own, despite the fact that they are earning good incomes. If the job of the parent is to form the child into a self-sufficient adult, then this is really the last and most important duty one has.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:57 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,485,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
I don't know why some women get themselves into this situation with their kids. Is it a fear of being alone, not being liked by their children, can't untie the apron strings....who knows?

It's a sad fact and contributes to the current trend of the "adult-child" in today's society. Grown men/women who have no desire to be independent, career-driven or have any sense of adult responsibility.

Either way, you are smart to end these relationships quickly as they will only lead to frustration, arguments and having to constantly fight for your place in the relationship.
The following poster explains this phenomenon (in bold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

It's not like young adults these days live with their parents by choice.

And a 25 year old should have a goal to live on his own. But that doesn't necessarily mean the 25 year old will be able to live on his own in this economy.

Are you implying people should be out of their parents house by 25? Or are you just saying they should want to be out of their parents house by 25?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships