Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:08 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,584,880 times

Advertisements

Ok so we see tons of threads that ends up with comments about peoples self-esteem, their confidence or the lack of etc, and it is clear that this is a big issue for a lot readers of this forum.
Because of this I think it could be good to give those with less confidence an idea of how to work on their confidence or be inspired by the confidence boosters of others.

So here are some questions to help the discussion:
* How do you boost your confidence before a meeting when you feel like you need it?
* What do you do to feel good about yourself, and what exactly do you feel good about then?
* How do you detect what you consider "good self confidence" in others?
* What advice would you give of a specific thing a person can do to amplify his/her confidence?

You and either answer one or multiple of these or just come with some comments of your own.

I'll start
What makes me confident is when I succeed with doing hard things. I like to growl and curse something for a couple of hours or months depending on what it is, and when I finally break the barriers and succeed I feel great about it. It can be a type of math equation I've never seen before or a snowboarding trick or bench-pressing a certain weight. The thing for me is to do something really hard ans when i finally accomplish it there is no feeling like it. Every challenge that I overcome is another addition to my arsenal of abilities/skillsets that makes me better, and thus makes me feel better about myself.

Ok your turn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 10:18 AM

817 posts, read 811,590 times
Most men would be confident if dating were to be a game which is less like a job interview with rigid constraints and requirements, and more of something that's like a personal one on one interaction.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:47 AM

12 posts, read 38,343 times
I would like to say that I feel confident all the time. Even if I know I am not going to initially succeed, I know I will get it sooner or later. My goal is to always feel like I am shooting for the end result, and to get there I know that it will take a lot of dedication and drive, but as long as I keep shooting at my goal "end result" at least I have a chance. The best part is that you can succeed just as long as you "show up." If you consistently shoot for nothing you will always hit nothing, that is why "failing" once in a while is great because it shows you are trying and if you are trying you always have a chance at seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. My confidence builds after every success, even if it is a small success leading up to my "end goal." However that is not always easy to be confident. Working out and eating healthy always makes me feel great and when I feel great it's always easier to be confident in other aspects of life.

Lastly, I would like to say that doing things out of my comfort zone increases my confidence and makes me realize that I can do things I thought may not be possible for me to do. I have learned to always expect more of myself and for myself. Like the original poster stated, it feels amazing to accomplish goals, regardless of short or long term. The most important aspect is mindset. If your mindset is constantly positive you will attract positive people and get positive results in everyday living. Also, expectations. You should expect good things to happen to you everyday! And do not associate with negative people, but rather people that encourage you and help you elevate your life to the next level... that is about it from me...

Old 03-25-2011, 10:53 AM

469 posts, read 1,257,047 times
Lack of confidence only becomes a dating issue when there is a "goal" in which you face risk/failure. When dating is simply for fun – rather than "in order to" cause/manipulate some outcome – there should be no reason for lack of confidence. Just be yourself.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:02 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Lack of confidence only becomes a dating issue when there is a "goal" in which you face risk/failure. When dating is simply for fun – rather than "in order to" cause/manipulate some outcome – there should be no reason for lack of confidence. Just be yourself.
Exactly, but maybe with the caveat that you should go into dating understanding that not everyone is going to think you're the bee's knees. Have fun, meet some people, and don't fret about the ones who aren't for you.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:04 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
Need confidence? Alcohol! It works for me... once I get enough alcohol in me, I start to not care if she likes me or not, I go and ask her out...

Old 03-25-2011, 11:10 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,793,856 times
I don't try and boost my confidence. What I do is don't take it as such an intolerable, tragic event when my confidence is low.

There wouldn't be half the anguish there is over low confidence if we didn't buy into the group think that it is this humiliating, shameful state of being.

That's bull****. It's a state of deprivation, driven by the same forces that drive any other state of deprivation. Rejecting another person for a lack of confidence is like rejecting someone for their lack of food.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:11 AM

817 posts, read 811,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Need confidence? Alcohol! It works for me... once I get enough alcohol in me, I start to not care if she likes me or not, I go and ask her out...
How about some cocaine? I did that once and my confidence levels zoomed 500%, albeit the effect is only for a brief while

Old 03-25-2011, 11:35 AM

440 posts, read 1,030,535 times
I'm a very confident person but I don't judge people who aren't. Not everyone can put themselves out there and that's ok. I'm confident because i know exactly who I am and who I want to be. I push myself through all of my fears and when I do it helps my confidence. Confidence is something that needs to be built. When I was a teen I wasn't that confident but I didn't know who I was, I was trying to be a little bit of everything to figure me out and it didn't help. It wasn't until I was on my own and had to be strong that I learned exactly how strong I could be and that's when I got my confidence. Since then I can honestly say I feel like when I walk into a room I radiate confidence and am capable of anything now(this is not to be confused with being cocky because I am absolutely not cocky).

Old 03-25-2011, 02:53 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,813,243 times
Work on improving yourself. Face your fears. Quit worrying about rejection and stop worrying about what others think of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships