Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:19 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times

Advertisements

In truth, I would probably like it. Like Beekeeper, I love being surrounded by people -- big families, live-in friends, etc. When our daughter was a baby, my wife's younger sister came to live with us. At the time, my wife and I were 24 and her sister was 21. It was *sort of* like having two wives.

Of course, my wife and her sister would kill me if they heard me describe it like that, but it felt that way. There were two women who cooked and cleaned, and I hung out with both of them. It was nice (for me), but my wife and her sister did fight some. I can see how jealousy issues would be horrible in this kind of domestic situation. My wife would never go for this, and she is the perfect candidate to be a "first wife." She's the bossy eldest of six girls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 08:52 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarry85 View Post
In some cultures/religions (namely islam), it is acceptable for a man to take a second, third, or fourth wife. Both my grandfathers had multiple wives and when I first got with my wife, she asked me (seriously) if I was going to take another wife. Of course I was blown away that she asked that and I told her the truth: I would never. But ever since I've been like ...

so my dudes, if you were allowed, would you take another wife lol? Would you even want to? I can just imagine all the drama multiplied but hey it is the typical male fantasy
It's bad for a culture. First it's not limited to just 2 wives.

God - and/or nature put the ratio of male-females at about 50-50. So in order for one male to have a collection of wives like they do in Muslim countries, other males must go without - and then are used to die in wars.

In order to have the big collections of women requires money, only the rich men can buy up women for their harems and as they run out of women their own age, they start buying up children.

It doesn't bring about a stable society when one wealthy sheikh can buy up as many women and girls as his money can buy and many other men are alone. It's not natural - and probably one reason your country is so bad you left it. Please don't try to bring the conditions you fled to the Western world.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:59 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
malamute makes some good points, and is correct. Polygamy was banned exactly for some of those reasons, and traditionally polygamy was always about multiple wives - it was never gender neutral.

However, women are now equals of men in their access to education, jobs, property, and opportunity. In modern society, I think the situation would balance out, as some women would have multiple men, just as some men would have multiple women. Of course, there are always some who won't (or don't want to) find anyone or aren't desirable. And even though polygamy isn't legal in most western countries, that does not prevent polyamorous arrangements.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:00 AM

697 posts, read 1,281,474 times
i was married for over 30 yrs--- 1 wife is enough

Old 03-29-2011, 09:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
malamute makes some good points, and is correct. Polygamy was banned exactly for some of those reasons, and traditionally polygamy was always about multiple wives - it was never gender neutral.

However, women are now equals of men in their access to education, jobs, property, and opportunity. In modern society, I think the situation would balance out, as some women would have multiple men, just as some men would have multiple women. Of course, there are always some who won't (or don't want to) find anyone or aren't desirable. And even though polygamy isn't legal in most western countries, that does not prevent polyamorous arrangements.
Whatever one thinks of them, polyamorous arrangements are very different. They are by mutual consent, they don't involve purchase of wives, it doesn't make them property. Unlike harems where one man owns a number of women and girls, has purchased them and must protect his property from running off -- burkas, severe beatings and whatnot.

And yes, you would have to allow women to have multiple husbands also.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:10 AM

839 posts, read 2,416,913 times
I'm not smart enough to manage one woman, let alone two......

I'm out numbered enough already. I have a wife and four daughters, I don't think I could handle any more estrogen.....

Old 03-29-2011, 09:46 AM

334 posts, read 528,636 times
I have an acquaintance (we went to HS together; dated briefly, if you can even call it dating - more like mutual flirting) who is Hebrew and has 3 wives. He is seeking a fourth now.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:14 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,863 times
And in Islam, it states that you must be able to treat the two women equally, emotionally and financially so, imagine the energy you would need when both women say "honey, can we talk about X?" and then they want to go shopping.... because you know, women love to shop together! haha

Plus, women tend to get their menstrual cycles at the same time when they live together, so you'd have TWO women PMSing at the same time.

And again, polygamy was really used in war times when women couldn't support themselves and men were outnumbered by women, so it was men who took in more women to support them.

I think the grape fantasy is just that... today's woman might do that once to indulge the fantasy, but that's not real life.

Enjoy your one beautiful wife.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:26 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarry85 View Post
in a perfect world, i would have my current wife and previous girlfriend, their both great girls awesome cooks, completely different physically, and i would love to spoil them both; i dont think either of them would agree to share me tho but hey i like to think outside the box
lol-You sound like a friend of mine. I have explained to him what I think of his wife, now exwife--Reese Witherspoon and since I am Annette Bening--that would never work. I couldn't put up with Reese--she's a good actress and all that--but please, blondes just can't be compared to redheads. The most special of all women--pure Celtic fire which no blonde could ever learn.

Actually more like Tina Turner--he seemed a bit frightened about that and hasn't called me again. lol--He is fully capable of picking up the phone anytime he wants too--I might or might not be around--lol--learned that from him. I asked him how he liked the results of our relationship---and got a pic of Hillary in an email. shrug--I told him I am happy to be as I am, will always love/want him but 'H' has no fury, etc.

'What Has Love Got to Do With It'--yes, indeed. Tina certainly was inspired by Ike. Listening to 'Private Dancer' now.

I have to have one man---preferably independently wealthy--that can be on call, somehow take care of whatever crisis may have occurred in my life. Certainly not too much to ask --in my not so humble opinion.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:28 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
1 wife was more than enough. I couldn't afford that. No way would I want two wives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships