Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 03:44 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,406,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Please tell us how you do that.

I totally agree with this, but I've almost never met anyone at the library and I hang out at them all the time. The one time I did meet someone he was drop dead gorgeous and trying to talk to me but I was dressed for a workout and with no makeup on so I froze up on him. Waaahh! Then it occurred to me later--he thought I was attractive enough to talk to so why did I counteract his judgment? As for meeting folks in the grocery store--it's mainly been old ladies and children--I see handsome men but rarely have the opportunity to actually talk to them and just about the time I start to clear my throat and ask one if these tangerines are any good, along will come his woman. (And yes, I look for wedding rings.)
You may want to broaden your outlook a bit..

Joking, but you do get a more objective perspective on this forum when you are off the grid, so to speak. I've been no angel, but I have been off the dating game for going on 15 years now, and what strikes me is how different the approaches seem to be to dating. One other thing I wanted to mention is all the rules, the checklists that people have.. he can't be this, he can't be that, but he must be that and it is a deal breaker for me. I certainly understand preferences, but when you count people out before they have a chance to plead their case that is unfair not only to them, but more importantly to "you", the general you, because you just don't know. If you're strong preference is a guy with a full head of curly black hair and a minimum of six feet in height, you may be turning away one who could turn out to be THE one. You know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
Every woman I've ever dated, I've met in a chance encounter while going through my daily routine. I've never been set up or used an online dating site. I just see someone that looks interesting, I walk up to them and talk about something random. If the conversation continues and gets interesting I cut it short ask for a number or email address (yes those work too) so we can continue our conversation. If they say yes, you build from there. I've dated women I met in an elevator, on the steps waiting for a class, sitting down for a drink (I noticed the woman after I already sat down), in a school club convention wearing a cat hat on my head and in the gamer room of school just looking for a place to sit. The last one is how I met the love of my life whom I'm with now.
I mean this was the approach that always worked for me. Maybe this thread should be more about spontaneity; that is what I think is lacking most often..

Old 04-04-2011, 03:52 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,414,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Let ME tell you!

She's young, in school, has 2 jobs (working with customers), and grew up in this town...
lol, I don't meet anyone at school or work. My customers are mostly tourists so even if any of them are cute, they're taken or from out of town or even from out of the country! But yes, being raised here does have an advantage, but I'm still single..so not much of one.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,202,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
lol, I don't meet anyone at school or work. My customers are mostly tourists so even if any of them are cute, they're taken or from out of town or even from out of the country! But yes, being raised here does have an advantage, but I'm still single..so not much of one.
And even all these things considered, I, the transplant, even tried to play Cupid based on your own post about lack of eligible men!

In other words, the lifestyle in most US cities is hardly conducive to meeting people by chance (particularly once you're out of school) and the post below probably needs to be toned down somewhat!

Quote:
I don't use online dating and I meet men all the time (well there are dry spells at times), and I'm shy too! No excuses people!

Old 04-04-2011, 04:14 PM

I wonder if it is just inherently more difficult for women. They may be by nature a little more passive, plus there is always the safety issue..

Old 04-04-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
And even all these things considered, I, the transplant, even tried to play Cupid based on your own post about lack of eligible men!

In other words, the lifestyle in most US cities is hardly conducive to meeting people by chance (particularly once you're out of school) and the post below probably needs to be toned down somewhat!
yes yes..there isn't much of a lack of available men..its a lack of quality available men, that I'm interested in, lol. I still meet them by chance, at times, haha. Other times, yes, I need help.

You're right though! and maybe there are excuses in some cases, haha.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:28 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,202,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
I wonder if it is just inherently more difficult for women. They may be by nature a little more passive, plus there is always the safety issue..
Well, generally, if people have more family, friends, have lived their whole lives in some area, have more active social life, and go out more, they're more likely to meet somebody by chance. If a hermit wants trouble, he/she usually needs to trouble it.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
maybe! Marriage sounds way easier than dating.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:29 PM

629 posts, read 1,234,320 times
Quote:
yes yes..there isn't much of a lack of available men..its a lack of quality available men, that I'm interested in, lol. I still meet them by chance, at times, haha. Other times, yes, I need help.

You're right though! and maybe there are excuses in some cases, haha.
Your greatest weapon is awareness. Pay attention to those around you. Maybe a guy is reading a book you love or maybe every morning you see the same man buying a cup of coffee at your favorite coffee shop. The little details signal us of our fate. Maybe the chance encounter wasn't really a chance encounter

Old 04-04-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Well, generally, if people have more family, friends, have lived their whole lives in some area, have more active social life, and go out more, they're more likely to meet somebody by chance. If a hermit wants trouble, he/she usually needs to trouble it.
It's kind of funny, isn't it? 'You' want you want. You seek and seek. And you finally find, and then what? Now you gotta live with the b*astards..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships