Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:20 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,023,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Instead of telling him he OWED you an apology, why not tell him how his actions made you feel.

I honestly cannot stand when someone says "you owe me an apology". That would put me on the defensive and yes, it probably would not be very sincere either. Now if that same person said "what you did really hurt me" that would at least open the doors for communication.

I always hate it when adults tell children to apologize. It's not sincere if someone is basically forcing you to say it. I teach my kids how to communicate their feelings instead of spewing some generic "I'm sorry". That doesn't solve anything and they learn nothing from it.
Ok, and that was just a hypothetical situation I made up as an example.

And I don't mind it if someone says you owe me an apology, because maybe I do and I am just not seeing it. Then again, I must not be too smart if (hypothetically) I could not figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 12:21 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,119,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Ah, but it's often hard to tell if the emotion and sincerity is real IMHO unless they come up with the idea. But I could be wrong.
I can tell if someone is being sincere or not. If they just say "sorry" well then eh...they probably don't mean it.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:24 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,342,768 times
Quote:
Ok, and that was just a hypothetical situation I made up as an example.

And I don't mind it if someone says you owe me an apology, because maybe I do and I am just not seeing it. Then again, I must not be too smart if (hypothetically) I could not figure it out.
I don't think it necessarily means a person isn't smart if they don't see that they owe someone an apology. I think it has more to do with the person being self-absorbed and not being able to see outside of their own perspective. But, if a person realizes that and takes steps to change that, I think that's heading in the right direction.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
I don't think it necessarily means a person isn't smart if they don't see that they owe someone an apology. I think it has more to do with the person being self-absorbed and not being able to see outside of their own perspective. But, if a person realizes that and takes steps to change that, I think that's heading in the right direction.
That's a very good point about the self-absorption. Not to sidetrack, but that is one of the reasons a narcissist will never apologize. And empathy is important too, and some people seem to be seriously lacking in that department.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:41 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,926,400 times
Quote:
Ok, so your spouse sleeps with someone else. Scenario A - your spouse says I was horrible and please forgive me. Scenario B - I tell my spouse he owes me an apology and I get one.

Somehow to me Scenario A seems more sincere.
You are missing the point

IS THE PERSON APOLOGIZING REALLY SORRY???

If they are only telling you what you want to hear to placate you then the apology is not sincere and is not valid, whether you asked for it or not.

Asking for an apology is not the point - the true sincere remorse, or lack of it, of the person giving it IS the point.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You are missing the point

IS THE PERSON APOLOGIZING REALLY SORRY???

If they are only telling you what you want to hear to placate you then the apology is not sincere and is not valid, whether you asked for it or not.

Asking for an apology is not the point - the true sincere remorse, or lack of it, of the person giving it IS the point.
I don't think I'm missing the point. I think it's not so easy to ascertain whether someone really IS sorry or not.

Think of your typical abuser - a million apologies - are they sincere when they turn around and abuse again?

I don't think it's that easy to really look inside someone's heart and I think some people are good actors.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:28 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,122,537 times
I too think you are missing the point. The first thing I wanted to say was "grow up". if you 'demand' an apology from someone it means nothing. If an apology is given without you asking for it, you should be able to tell if the person is sincere or not. The grown up thing to do is accept the apology and move on. Having a grudge because you think someone wronged you, helps no one.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I too think you are missing the point. The first thing I wanted to say was "grow up". if you 'demand' an apology from someone it means nothing. If an apology is given without you asking for it, you should be able to tell if the person is sincere or not. The grown up thing to do is accept the apology and move on. Having a grudge because you think someone wronged you, helps no one.
I beg your pardon. Do not be telling me to "grow up" when you don't know me from Adam. You sound like my mother... the "grown up thing to do is...

And who ever said anything about "demanding" an apology? Don't put words in my mouth.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:38 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,243,567 times
I would tell that person how I am feeling, not that they owe me an apology, once they've been told it's up to them how they react, or not.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:02 PM

600 posts, read 3,454,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
I would tell that person how I am feeling, not that they owe me an apology, once they've been told it's up to them how they react, or not.
Yep. Round4 got it right.

Regards,
Streamer1212
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships