Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:34 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,649,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
This sounds perfect! The only problem is there are MANY states (including mine) that don't allow you to carry. Every state that does has certain areas that you are not allowed to carry (like in the city &/or certain buildings).
Yes, that IS a problem. How about buying a small shotgun, maybe 18" barrel length (was the legal minimum length back when I had one), pistol grip, 20-gauge, and just keep it in the home? Totally legal to own, easy to use, no permit needed. At least you'd be safe in your home - unless Chi-Town is a LOT tougher on gun laws than I thought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
That back up would have meant nothing. At some point she would have been alone and then he would have gotten her.
Not if her "friends" did the job properly...

Old 04-13-2011, 12:40 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,142,549 times
Some of us have a "turn the other cheek" mentality that just cannot be overcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Get a "carry permit" - learn to shoot, get a gun and be ready to use it to defend your life. Short of spending several years learning unarmed self-defense it's your best bet in a situation like this.

The problem at this point usually becomes the victim's natural reticence to take a life. THAT I feel is where the true victim psychology lies - they aren't capable of responding to a threat with force because they're "good people".
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
That back up would have meant nothing. At some point she would have been alone and then he would have gotten her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
This sounds perfect! The only problem is there are MANY states (including mine) that don't allow you to carry. Every state that does has certain areas that you are not allowed to carry (like in the city &/or certain buildings).

I also agree that there are people that are "good" and would not be able to protect themselves, even if they had every reason to.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:04 PM

420 posts, read 879,129 times
Default Sighs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman0 View Post
people fight all the time, it doesnt mean you will get killed in the tub by your SO
I agree. And if you live life by bailing every time something happens you dislike, you may as well remain alone and give up seeking a mate. This is a horrific tragedy. But there is also two sides to every story: She wont get to tell hers, but there is still his, and finally God's, the truth. It also helps to develop wise jugement, that would help in telling psychotic, violent tendencies from just a normal person who simply gets angry sometimes, like normal.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Some of us have a "turn the other cheek" mentality that just cannot be overcome.
Social conditioning and early childhood education is difficult to overcome, but not impossible.

You just have to want it badly enough.

I've seen too many turned cheeks in the street, the ER and the morgue to buy into that philosophy, especially at MY late stage of the game.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:57 AM

13 posts, read 17,445 times
I've knew a woman that was beaten to within an inch of her life by her ex-husband. She later said that the last thing he said before her began beating her was to call her a "b". Verbal abuse preceeds physical abuse. Some abusers use the verbal as a "measuring stick" to see how a potential "abusee" will react. Leave at the first sign of trouble? Depends on the trouble. If it's verbal/physical, it's time to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships