Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:07 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,474 times

Advertisements

This is what I went through at my father's funeral. It was a farce. A bunch of long lost relatives I didn't even know who acted like we were at some chit chat party than anything else. I did not see one person approach my dad's coffin, but maybe that's because they were too busy trying to figure out who I was. OMG, I was exhausted on my feet making small talk before the service. Then NO ONE turned up at the cemetery except the immediate family.

Anyways, I'll never do another. Including my mother's. Thoughts? What has your experience been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 09:10 PM

37,602 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
This is what I went through at my father's funeral. It was a farce. A bunch of long lost relatives I didn't even know who acted like we were at some chit chat party than anything else. I did not see one person approach my dad's coffin, but maybe that's because they were too busy trying to figure out who I was. OMG, I was exhausted on my feet making small talk before the service. Then NO ONE turned up at the cemetery except the immediate family.

Anyways, I'll never do another. Including my mother's. Thoughts? What has your experience been?
You may have been the only one there that was "long lost". Frankly, I think it's incredibly insensitive of you to speak of the family of the deceased (even if it's yours) in such a manner. Given that you didn't know anyone, you obviously were not close and haven't a clue how they felt.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You may have been the only one there that was "long lost". Frankly, I think it's incredibly insensitive of you to speak of the family of the deceased (even if it's yours) in such a manner. Given that you didn't know anyone, you obviously were not close and haven't a clue how they felt.
Well, you weren't there, so you wouldn't know. And they didn't know me either, so so much for your theory I didn't know anyone and was alone in that.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:16 PM

37,602 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well, you weren't there, so you wouldn't know.
Correct. And apparently, neither would you. Funerals and wakes DO bring together relatives that have not seen each other in years...sometimes even those that despise one another. The reason they come is to show support for one another, and for those that are grieving. And of course, to pay their respects and to honor the deceased. For you to lambast them simply because YOU didn't know them, is just plain childish.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:16 PM

461 posts, read 782,434 times
You are 'reviewing' the funeral as some kind of performance?

Shouldn't you go to pay your respects to your loved ones rather than thinking about how put out you are by other people's actions?

Usually only the immediate family goes to the cemetery unless otherwise invited.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Correct. And apparently, neither would you. Funerals and wakes DO bring together relatives that have not seen each other in years...sometimes even those that despise one another. The reason they come is to show support for one another, and for those that are grieving. And of course, to pay their respects and to honor the deceased. For you to lambast them simply because YOU didn't know them, is just plain childish.
Right, that's why six of the comments on his Internet obituary came from me and two of my friends out of state. Or is everyone in my family out of state illiterate when it comes to computers? Oh, I should say the ONLY six comments to clarify.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrevenge View Post
You are 'reviewing' the funeral as some kind of performance?

Shouldn't you go to pay your respects to your loved ones rather than thinking about how put out you are by other people's actions?

Usually only the immediate family goes to the cemetery unless otherwise invited.
My mother was disappointed about this (what I bolded).

What was the "performance" was the reviewal (we're not Catholic or I'd say wake). Maybe no one wanted to view a wax figure in a coffin - including me, which is why I'll never do it again.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:24 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,735 times
I'm sorry for the loss of your father. You are obviously grieving and your feelings are raw. It sounds to me like you felt disrespected when other people were not (outwardly) grieving as deeply as you were, or perhaps the funeral wasn't as somber as you expected. I think it's normal for people to make friendly small talk before and after a funeral.

Wakes, especially, are a celebration in honor of the deceased. Most people like to grieve privately, it doesn't mean that they are not feeling the loss.

Don't try so hard to read insult into the actions of others when there was none intended. Or do you feel that they were deliberately trying to diss you?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:26 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,991,973 times
The thing is, you should never miss an important family member's funeral. It doesn't matter if those people didn't approach your parted father, you were there and you participated in the service.

If you're not there, you may regret it for the rest of your life.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
I'm sorry for the loss of your father. You are obviously grieving and your feelings are raw. It sounds to me like you felt disrespected when other people were not grieving as deeply as you were, or perhaps the funeral wasn't as somber as you expected. I think it's normal for people to make friendly small talk before and after a funeral.

Wakes, especially, are a celebration in honor of the deceased. Most people like to grieve privately, it doesn't mean that they are not feeling the loss.
We're not Catholic, rather Lutheran, which is pretty damn somber. As to grieving, yeah, I'm grieving over a lot of stuff related to my dad's passing.

Thanks for your condolences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships