Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 04:59 AM

3 posts, read 9,862 times

Advertisements

okay i have a dilemma, I made out with my best friend's ex-girlfriend and I had to tell him so I did the very next morning. it was a one time thing and they have been broken up for a couple months. I apologized, and everything told him I was incredibly sorry it would never happen again and I didn't know he still had feelings for her.

But now he's talking **** about me behind my back to our best friends, and other friends. As well as risking our friendship, we've been best friends for about 6-8 years and he basically told that he was going to find a new best friend...is he
overreacting? I know I'm in the wrong and I promised it wouldn't happen again but putting our friendship in jeopardy seems a little harsh? I would never do that with him, no matter what happened. help please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 06:13 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2011 View Post
okay i have a dilemma, I made out with my best friend's ex-girlfriend and I had to tell him so I did the very next morning. it was a one time thing and they have been broken up for a couple months. I apologized, and everything told him I was incredibly sorry it would never happen again and I didn't know he still had feelings for her.

But now he's talking **** about me behind my back to our best friends, and other friends. As well as risking our friendship, we've been best friends for about 6-8 years and he basically told that he was going to find a new best friend...is he
overreacting? I know I'm in the wrong and I promised it wouldn't happen again but putting our friendship in jeopardy seems a little harsh? I would never do that with him, no matter what happened. help please?
This isn't an area where there are necessarily absolutes. Feelings are what they are, even if they seem "wrong" to one person. Technically, once they were broken up, this girl was a free agent. She didn't belong to your friend. She could make out with anyone she wanted to, including you.

However, then you enter into the sticky area of hurt feelings. Even if she was no longer his girlfriend, clearly your friend still had feelings for her. You behaved pretty callously in making out with her. I mean, how many girls are there in the world? You had to choose the one girl he used to date and had just broken up with? Did you not stop to consider how that might hurt his feelings? If you wanted to date her, could you not have waited and asked him about it first?

So in the same way you can say he should put your friendship first and not throw it away over this incident, I can turn the tables around on you and suggest that you should have put your friendship first and never made out with her in the first place--potentially causing harm to the friendship. You put your horniness over his friendship. It could be that you're not such a good friend after all--maybe he's not that upset about the idea of losing your friendship.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:19 AM

629 posts, read 1,234,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
This isn't an area where there are necessarily absolutes. Feelings are what they are, even if they seem "wrong" to one person. Technically, once they were broken up, this girl was a free agent. She didn't belong to your friend. She could make out with anyone she wanted to, including you.

However, then you enter into the sticky area of hurt feelings. Even if she was no longer his girlfriend, clearly your friend still had feelings for her. You behaved pretty callously in making out with her. I mean, how many girls are there in the world? You had to choose the one girl he used to date and had just broken up with? Did you not stop to consider how that might hurt his feelings? If you wanted to date her, could you not have waited and asked him about it first?

So in the same way you can say he should put your friendship first and not throw it away over this incident, I can turn the tables around on you and suggest that you should have put your friendship first and never made out with her in the first place--potentially causing harm to the friendship. You put your horniness over his friendship. It could be that you're not such a good friend after all--maybe he's not that upset about the idea of losing your friendship.
^^^This. Maybe you should put a little more thought into it before you jumped into this complicated situation.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:20 AM

3 posts, read 9,862 times
i was absolutely wasted, it's not an excuse but that's how it happened. I would never have done it with a sober mind

Old 05-14-2011, 09:29 AM

629 posts, read 1,234,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2011 View Post
i was absolutely wasted, it's not an excuse but that's how it happened. I would never have done it with a sober mind
Tough call. Only one solution left. Find him a hotter, better new girlfriend. This will save your friendship. Unless she cheats on him or you kiss her too. Then you're up the creek without a paddle.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:13 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Why did you "have to" tell him?

Old 05-14-2011, 11:25 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Why did you "have to" tell him?
I was thinking the same thing. Discretion is the better part of valor... Sounds like the OP put the friendship at risk. Some lines u just don't cross if u r friends. If one of my good friends kissed my man even if were broken up, we could no longer be friends, but that is just how we roll... No body messes with nobody else's man past or present.

Now in the case of the OP it sounds like the friend is angry and feels betrayed. It will take time to get over it. If the OP is humble maybe the friendship can survive, but he should be prepared for the friendship to never be the same again too. Trust is a hard thing to rebuild... Good luck to the OP

Old 05-14-2011, 01:44 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
You think putting your friendship in jeopardy is a little harsh?..that's exactly what you did when you slept with his recent ex. You've already apologized and expressed remorse...there's not much else you can do.Be a little more thoughtful of your best friends feelings next time....he'll probably come around, I can't understand why he would want to loose a friend over his feelings for someone he no longer sees.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:55 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,082 times
You are not much of a best friend. If you were really a friend, you wouldn't have let this happen. Drunk is just an excuse that is used too often, you still need to be responsible for your actions. You think your friend is risking your friendship? You probably ruined a friendship, and what, over a 5 to 10 minute piece of a$$. I need to repeat my first sentence and put an exclamation mark at the end of it.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:20 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
You are not much of a best friend. If you were really a friend, you wouldn't have let this happen. Drunk is just an excuse that is used too often, you still need to be responsible for your actions. You think your friend is risking your friendship? You probably ruined a friendship, and what, over a 5 to 10 minute piece of a$$. I need to repeat my first sentence and put an exclamation mark at the end of it.
I agree. You will get no sympathy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships