Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:28 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,758,603 times

Advertisements

There have been many times where I have observed C-D users mentioning not being particularly fond of romantic partners they had described as "needy" or "clingy" -- but also at the same time, not defining in any concrete terms, exactly what they meant by those words

So, I looked up the word "needy" on wikipedia. Wikipedia defines "needy" as:

Quote:
Codependency, a tendency to behave in overly passive or excessively caretaking ways that negatively impact one's relationships and quality of life
Reading the wikipedia article on codependency, was at least somewhat fascinating to me. The reason why is, I don't think I quite understand myself, why there is such of a consistent "negative emphasis", on the concept of neediness in general -- all I can personally gather is that people who are "needy", perhaps have a little more of a need to "feel loved", than say non-needy ppl. But why is it the equivalent of such a "mortal sin", when it comes to relationship desirability?

Agree with the definition, as presented above in the quoted section? Disagree? Why or why not?

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 02-10-2011 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: Corrected hyperlink
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 11:32 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,472,923 times
Agree to quoted section about needy because to me that is what a needy person description to me is overly excessively clinging to someone. Not a good or healthy trait in not only any relationship but especially a romantic one.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:33 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
"Overly passive or excessively caretaking ways" ... while "overly" and "excessively" are subjective, I think this definition is accurate. The subjective nature of these words means that they will vary by person.

Needy and clingy behavior, to me, connotes a puppy following me around. Love me love me love me love me love me! Do you love me? I miss you! Do you miss me? Do you love me? I love you! I love you! You haven't talked to me in five minutes--are you mad at me? Did I do something wrong? Do you still love me? Love me love me love me!

Old 02-10-2011, 11:35 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times
I think needliness implies nonspecific needs so rooted in insecurity that they can never be met by a partner. The needy or clingy person is never satisfied; they are like a bottomless pit and this drags the relationship down.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:37 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
I'm not posting this with the intention of dismissing your thread. That's just an old thread of mine you may want to take a look at:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ion-needy.html

Old 02-10-2011, 11:39 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
But why is it the equivalent of such a "mortal sin", when it comes to relationship desirability?

Agree with the definition, as presented above in the quoted section? Disagree? Why or why not?
Being "needy", to me at least, means that person is in constant need of reassurance that they are loved/liked/desired/wanted...whatever the situation. And if a person feels that way, they would seem to be extremely insecure and maladjusted. It's a drain on the other person to have to constantly reassure someone of things that are already clearly understood, by most. It can absolutely kill a relationship. I say "can"...not that it always does. Some people, if they are more of a dependent type, are perfectly content with this behavior in a spouse or partner. And that's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
"Overly passive or excessively caretaking ways" ... while "overly" and "excessively" are subjective, I think this definition is accurate. The subjective nature of these words means that they will vary by person.

Needy and clingy behavior, to me, connotes a puppy following me around. Love me love me love me love me love me! Do you love me? I miss you! Do you miss me? Do you love me? I love you! I love you! You haven't talked to me in five minutes--are you mad at me? Did I do something wrong? Do you still love me? Love me love me love me!
Great definition Julia! That definitely helped me understand the whole idea better, in more concrete terms

(I tried to rep you, but got the "you gotta spread the rep" msg )

3,573 posts, read 6,472,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

hahaha yes, exactly. Who wants or needs that!

Old 02-10-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'm not posting this with the intention of dismissing your thread. That's just an old thread of mine you may want to take a look at:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ion-needy.html
Thx for listing the helpful link Sierra

Old 02-10-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Being "needy", to me at least, means that person is in constant need of reassurance that they are loved/liked/desired/wanted...whatever the situation. And if a person feels that way, they would seem to be extremely insecure and maladjusted. It's a drain on the other person to have to constantly reassure someone of things that are already clearly understood, by most. It can absolutely kill a relationship. I say "can"...not that it always does. Some people, if they are more of a dependent type, are perfectly content with this behavior in a spouse or partner. And that's fine.
Thx for your insightful comments ChessieMom...thx also to zentropa and donie.

Now things are making a lil more sense to me, when ppl had mentioned not being attacted, to "needy" individuals, b/4!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships