Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 08:07 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,347,360 times

Advertisements

So we all have our list of things we want in a partner.
Looks, intelligence, personality traits, social class, financial situation... whatever they may be for you, and some characteristics are more important than others.

Lets say you meet someone, hit it off... totally enjoy this persons company but he/she doesn't meet any of your requirements... well maybe they meet one or two but definitely not all nor the most important.

Do you dump this person on principles alone or do you enjoy his/her company and see what happens even though...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 08:14 AM

5,988 posts, read 10,499,121 times
They are immediately moved to the friend category if they are willing to accept the demotion. I won't continue dating someone who isn't highly compatible in all the important areas, but they may have the potential to be a great friend.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:18 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,289,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
Looks, intelligence, personality traits, social class, financial situation... whatever they may be for you, and some characteristics are more important than others.

Lets say you meet someone, hit it off... totally enjoy this persons company but he/she doesn't meet any of your requirements... well maybe they meet one or two but definitely not all nor the most important.

Do you dump this person on principles alone or do you enjoy his/her company and see what happens even though...?
It would depend which 1 or 2 "requirements" they met, and where they "ranked" in the others.

For example, someone who is good-looking and intelligent, but has a nasty personality, no class and no job/outlook would obviously be nothing more than a pleasant first date.

Someone who has a great personality, a great job and future, decent looking, and some class would be much more appealing to me.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:23 AM

12,973 posts, read 34,025,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
They are immediately moved to the friend category if they are willing to accept the demotion. I won't continue dating someone who isn't highly compatible in all the important areas, but they may have the potential to be a great friend.
Well said!! This is exactly how I feel. They would instantly be moved to the friend category. However, if she has a great a$$ I'd probably still hit-it but would make it very clear that there will be no relationship. Ive done this many times in my pre-marriage years and its worked out great.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:47 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,297,487 times
If he is intelligent, isn't a jerk, and I'd like to see him naked, he would have a chance. Social status, money, and things of that nature vacillate throughout life, but stupid and mean make ugly forever.

Last edited by Yzette; 06-10-2011 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: Apparently I need caffeine to avoid typos.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:02 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,265,586 times
What are the requirements? Perhaps your bar is set too high or unrealistic?

Old 06-10-2011, 09:09 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,738,007 times
They may be fun to date but are not long term relationship material. I think you do have to agree on important matters or its always going to be stressful.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 AM

5,988 posts, read 10,499,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Well said!! This is exactly how I feel. They would instantly be moved to the friend category. However, if she has a great a$$ I'd probably still hit-it but would make it very clear that there will be no relationship. Ive done this many times in my pre-marriage years and its worked out great.
That's a good point - the friend category CAN include friend with benefits, but I'd also make that distinction clear to them so that they can choose.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:54 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,992,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
Looks, intelligence, personality traits, social class, financial situation...
A woman's appeal comes from her holistic attributes. No set requirements here.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:56 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,216,580 times
Principles? I would think dumping someone based on principles would be based on negative actions or just someone incompatible with the way you want to live. Dumping someone based on looks, social class, etc. is just superficiality. Dumping someone because they are cruel or criminal despite their good looks or heavy wallet would be dumping based on principle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships