Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 11:21 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Nothing outrageous.

There are far more black men marrying white women than black women marrying white men.
There would be a megabomb explosion if there was an article encouraging black men to date and marry interracially while statistically insinuating that black women were "below" them. It'll never happen, because there would be entirely too much backlash.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:21 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,332 times
I wish we would all just screw and make one race, already lol.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:25 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,982,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not a cop out. It's a reason.

Human beings are designed to procreate. Nearly everything we do is done to serve that end. Why are there more men interested in investment banking than nursing? Why do women spend significantly more on fashion than men do?

On a subconscious level (even on a conscious level, really), men understand that their status will dictate the quantity and quality of women they can attract. And most women, on a very conscious level, understand that their looks will dictate the quality of men they attract.

For men, it's an unfortunate paradox that high status at one stage in life (being a frat boy or a thug, for example) can be completely antagonistic to achieving high status at another stage in life (being a cardiothorasic surgeon, for example).

It's all about incentives. If women liked bookworms, then men would study like hell. If the vast majority of men suddenly began to prefer overweight women, then LA Fitness and Gold's Gym would go out of business within the week.

So I don't blame women at all. If there's anyone to blame, it's Mother Nature. Quite the practical joker, she is.
You killed it here. Wholeheartedly agree! If doing good in school was attractive to women, the boys in school would be doing their work. It's an endless cycle, women love those guys who act 'bad' and men continue that behavior because that is what is viewed as the only way of getting attention from women. I don't hear women talking about Lupe Fiasco like they talk about Lil' Wayne. I'm saying.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:28 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,509,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
You killed it here. Wholeheartedly agree! If doing good in school was attractive to women, the boys in school would be doing their work. It's an endless cycle, women love those guys who act 'bad' and men continue that behavior because that is what is viewed as the only way of getting attention from women. I don't hear women talking about Lupe Fiasco like they talk about Lil' Wayne. I'm saying.

Lil' Wayne actually knocked up 2 women in a 6 week span. Dead serious.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
This isn't true though, and is a widely spread myth. Although black women academically out pace BM in the number of degrees earned per capita, black men still out earn black women financially on average per capita.

It's deeper than just money. A bus driver can earn more than a teacher, yet becoming a teacher requires a degree. A lot of these "educated" women believe they are too good intellectually for their counterparts.
Exactly what I was stating earlier, why is money or a certain position equated to success? Better yet, why is education always regarded as a measure of success. There are men who have good jobs who didn't get college degrees and they don't have jobs at a Fortune 500. If he has succeed at what he is doing, shouldn't that be enough? Anybody that has the drive to move up where they are at and works hard always has the ability to move up. Too much emphasis in put on college degrees. I have friends who didn't go to college who are making good money and are ambitious. A lot of black women unfortunately wouldn't give them the time of day because of their type of work or the fact they don't make 6-figures.

Last edited by justtitans; 08-17-2011 at 11:53 AM..

Old 08-17-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
Lil' Wayne actually knocked up 2 women in a 6 week span. Dead serious.
I know. I heard about that. He is getting it thrown at him like a backcatcher in a baseball game.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:30 AM

32,090 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Same reason why some black men act like thugs, because they want to. Doesn't matter who or what they want to blame, the choice is theirs alone.
I don't think women smear on lipstick and force themselves into high heels that give them back problems "because they want to." They do it because that's what men like. And many guys will live the flashy life because that's what young women like.

Quote:
And the examples you gave are not really comparable. Dressing up and keeping one's weight down will not negatively impact a person's future. Getting into trouble or getting poor grades most likely will.
They don't have to be directly comparable. I was simply making the point that people will do whatever it takes to turn on the opposite sex. A guy can either learn to please women or learn to love celibacy. A girl can either keep her weight down and dress cute or sit down in a dark corner of the club with all of the other fuglies who will never win a man's love and commitment. That's just life, and life is often ugly. Babies die. War, famine and disease. Not everyone passes "Go" and collects $200.

Besides, you act like women don't make the same bone-headed decisions that men make. Girls will put their health at risk messing with guys.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Same reason why some black men act like thugs, because they want to. Doesn't matter who or what they want to blame, the choice is theirs alone.

And the examples you gave are not really comparable. Dressing up and keeping one's weight down will not negatively impact a person's future. Getting into trouble or getting poor grades most likely will.
People don't just do these things just because. There's a reason. If there wasn't then you would probably see some black men picking women in a pinto. 9 times out of 10, if a black man has material things, he believes it's going to get him attention from women or give people the impression he is of a certain status.

Bottom line when women see a fancy car, clothes or jewelry, they are going to automatically think of $$$$

Old 08-17-2011, 11:38 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Exactly what I was stating earlier, why is money or a certain position equated to success. Better yet, why is education always regarded as a measure of success. There are men who have good jobs who didn't get college degrees and they don't have jobs at a Fortune 500. If he is succeed at what he is doing, shouldn't that be enough? Anybody that has the drive to move up where they are at and works hard always has the ability to move up. Too much emphasis in put on college degrees. I have friends who didn't go to college who are making good money and are ambitious. A lot of black women unfortunately wouldn't give them the time of day because of their type of work or the fact they don't make 6-figures.
Alot of it has to do with being image conscious IMO. Degrees (especially with women) tend to not just be about financial mobility, but social mobility as well. I still haven't met a guy with a college degree that wouldn't take a beautiful woman without a degree seriously just because she didn't have one. On the otherhand, I have rarely come across women with college degrees who would do the same. And the few that are the exception are usually older and past the phase of keeping up with the Joneses. I think you're spot on though, a lot of black women with degrees do not like the idea of introducing their husbands as bus drivers, mechanics etc. It simply doesn't fit in their heads with the idea of what a degree should represent.

Like I mentioned before, this isn't about money, because just about every statistic out there shows that on average black men out earn black women (or any race of woman for that matter) per capita (80 cents on the dollar...or something of that nature). It's moreso an issue of class consciousness induced by the entitlements that come along with a degree. A lot of people are under the idea that EVERYTHING should improve in their lives with a college education.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:40 AM

32,090 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I hope that you meant "you" in the general sense. The entire point of my post was that we stop attributing our failures to racisim, the "sytem" or The Man.
What I meant was that we can't simply say "Black boys are falling behind because of [insert race-focused sociological theory]" because white guys are falling behind, too. In other words, there has to be some reason why boys in general, not just black boys, are falling behind women in educational attainment. And since that reason can't be "The Man" or the "War on Black Men," could it possibly be, say, different incentives for men and women in the sexual sweepstakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I am honestly curious as to what causes the achievement gap, but I have no answers. I don't think that the answer is that girls like losers, so men strive to become losers.
I don't think anyone would call Jay-Z a loser. I don't think anyone would call Marc Barnes, the owner of DC's hottest nightclub, a loser. Nobody sees Russell Simmons as a loser. Those guys are WINNING. And that's what many young black guys want to be. They're not focusing on school because they're focusing on being the next Sean "P. Diddy" Combs. And why are they trying to be like P. Diddy? Because P. Diddy has B@TCHES!!! And Melvin the physicist does not. It's really that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships