Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2008, 12:24 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,217,457 times

Advertisements

Let me toss something into the 'stew' here:

Not so terribly long ago; it was 'taboo' for a 'WASP' person to date let alone marry an Italian, Irish, etc--------never mind that all of the above today would be counted as 'Anglo' Whites.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:19 AM

7 posts, read 33,614 times
I think these topics of conversation are in a sense pointless. Why do we blog about it? Whose approval do we really need? And whose approval effectively dissolves the issue? Also, tell me why do we feel the need to justify interracial dating by inaccurately generalizing what others (particularly: "Hindus, Catholic, and Jews") do and then quickly adding, "why not is it an issue [when they do it]?" or "and yet whites are always called racist [if they date within their race]?"

Be committed to making decisions based on your feelings and don't be swayed by society because look at how far we've come because of those who have protested the masses for something that they believed in? Something that they/we deserved? Granted, we still have a way to go. Let's continue moving forward and never backward on behalf of those same sentiments.

Also, "someone that will understand the issues she'll face in the real world, someone who can identify with her life experiences and communicate." --- No one will ever understand or be able to identify with a person or group of people who segregate themselves for just that reason. I understand what you mean, but. even if it's not to date or marry, don't assume things and give people a chance

Old 11-18-2008, 05:49 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,735,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish Thompson View Post
Racism goes all ways. It only becomes a big deal when it involves blacks and whites. I think it's funny what some people consider 'racism'. I was asked out by a guy from a different cultural background than mine, and I told him no. He couldn't get it out of his head that I wouldn't date him because he wasn't black and to this day he calls me racist. I wouldn't date him because of his WIFE.
oh, that's hilarious!

Old 11-18-2008, 06:00 AM

943 posts, read 3,340,041 times
Not sure about that (for me) since I just find myself primarily attracted to black men. and I'm not racist or prejudice.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:25 AM

I have no problem with black women saying they will date nonblack men because they want to date people on human qualities, not race or ethnicity. I have a serious problem hearing that some black women will date nonblack men, or exclusively nonblack men, because there aren't any suitable black men available. I have a serious problem with that line of hogwash.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:39 AM

943 posts, read 3,340,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
I have no problem with black women saying they will date nonblack men because they want to date people on human qualities, not race or ethnicity. I have a serious problem hearing that some black women will date nonblack men, or exclusively nonblack men, because there aren't any suitable black men available. I have a serious problem with that line of hogwash.
Same here and I despise when black men say the same.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:46 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,221,700 times
Yup, I hear ya Sunil.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post

Old 11-18-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
Same here and I despise when black men say the same.
Yeah, I agree with that too.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:55 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,093,519 times
OMG it's getting rediculous around here. If you have any seniority to your life experiance and claim you don't know somebody in your family who would prefer you settled down with "our own kind" you're living some sort of nedflanderish crossbred with aunti mame life. God Bless and you don't belong here!

And even if when you sorta did settle down with somebody you thought met with universal approval and it went south somewhere the excuse was brought up that they were "different" from us.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:06 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,709,964 times
I'm sorry the woman turned you down because of your race. I am a black woman and I date white men. I haven't had any issues or problems. I'm fortunate that I have a small family and they don't care what race I date as long as he is a good person. I have never had to deal with anything like them telling me not to date/marry someone. I wonder about the white men, though. Do their families tell them it's ok to date a black woman but don't marry one, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
I tried to date a black woman once. She said no because I was white. I said does that mean just because I am white? She said yes, and for no other reason. Blacks women have always been told to date/marry within their race or be segregated by their own race. Whites do the same, yet it is the whites who are always called racist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships