Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 08:24 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,220,904 times

Advertisements

I love watching the Jewish people in my neighborhood walk up and down my street on Saturday mornings. I guess it's an orthodox thing? Either way, what a great habit.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:29 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,401,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I love watching the Jewish people in my neighborhood walk up and down my street on Saturday mornings. I guess it's an orthodox thing? Either way, what a great habit.
Followers of Judaism are not allowed to drive on Sabbath. That's why so many of them buy houses close to the sinagogues, so they can walk there.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:29 AM

29,763 posts, read 34,474,741 times
Yeah, it's the Sabbath, so they can't drive (or carry anything, officially) unless they're inside of an eruv. Eruv - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've always been fascinated by Orthodox Jewish communities. The way they're both living in the middle of cities and communities, and yet also living apart from them.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Yeah, it's the Sabbath, so they can't drive (or carry anything, officially) unless they're inside of an eruv. Eruv - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've always been fascinated by Orthodox Jewish communities. The way they're both living in the middle of cities and communities, and yet also living apart from them.
Yes, I have lived amongst them for years in the very Jewish neighborhood of Brooklyn called Borough Park. I would see them walking around every Saturday. One time, I was walking by and a Jewish woman asked me if I could come up and shut off the light for her (I think it was the light, that was so many years ago).

Old 08-27-2011, 08:36 AM

12,572 posts, read 15,585,338 times
The recession is over! A few months back Rolling Stone mag started appearing in my mail, last week three back issues of Maxim appeared, and yesterday I find the ESPN mag in the mail. Business must be so great they just give magazines away!!!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:39 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,129,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It would be interesting to go to a place like say Africa, where obviously white people are the minority. I did grow up with a lot of black guy as friends.

I was an honorary "brotha"
As an honorary "brotha", you are entitled to this picture for your viewing pleasure (P.S. Don't let SeaOfGrass catch you, or she'll cut you)
http://thecoolmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Bria-Myles-6.jpg (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I was driving through Mississippi to get to Florida and all of a sudden the freeway just dead ended and you had to get off and drive this back road and I swear I drove back in time to just after the civil war. Dirt road, shack wood houses - it was like a movie set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Two of my coworkers had to go to MS after Katrina for the TV satellite company they worked for at the time. They echoed how racism is very alive and well in parts of that state.
It definitely is; reverse racism (black on white and white/black) is big in rural, southern/Northern MS, respectively. It's really sad

Old 08-27-2011, 08:45 AM

29,763 posts, read 34,474,741 times
As to racism, I've heard a saying that in the North, white people don't mind if black people succeed, but they're uncomfortable with them living too close. In the South, white people don't mind if black people live close, but they're uncomfortable with them succeeding. It's a simplistic generalization, and maybe not so applicable now that American discussion of race is not so black/white, but it's an interesting concept.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 08-27-2011 at 09:05 AM..

Old 08-27-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Followers of Judaism are not allowed to drive on Sabbath. That's why so many of them buy houses close to the sinagogues, so they can walk there.
They walk leisurely as well. It's a nice change from the typical hustle and bustle during the work week.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
They walk leisurely as well. It's a nice change from the typical hustle and bustle during the work week.
I personally thing it's a great tradition. Notice that they are not carrying anything in their hands either. No bags, no purses.
I always thought that all people should have a complete day of rest. No cooking, no cleaning, just complete and utter rest.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
As to racism, I've heard a saying that in the North, white people don't mind if black people succeed, but they're uncomfortable with them living too close. In the South, white people don't mind if black people live close, but they're uncomfortable with them succeeding. It's a simplistic generalization, but it's an interesting concept.
That is interesting. My neighborhood is slightly diverse. It appears to be mostly white, but I see some black families around and of course Jewish people. There's a Catholic church around the corner, but it's an Indian Catholic church. That's something I never saw before. They do their sermons in whatever the main Indian language is. I took my mom there over Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships