Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 08:43 PM

494 posts, read 1,611,848 times

Advertisements

Upbringing and past experiences are a factor, but they aren't the only ones. A person can have a very stable upbringing, but could just have a nasty personality. Personalties are formed more on interactions with people(or lack thereof) than they are with certain past experiences imo. Someone "soft", interacting with the wrong crowd, could easily become "rough" around the edges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 09:10 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,291,002 times
The difference is compassion. Do you have it or not?

Old 06-03-2011, 09:13 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,774,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
The difference is compassion. Do you have it or not?
Well spoken!!

Old 06-03-2011, 10:45 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,955,881 times
But isn't a soft personality also often due to insecurity- as in not wanting to rock the boat for fear of being challenged? Is there a relationship between compassion and insecurity?

Old 06-04-2011, 10:44 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,291,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
But isn't a soft personality also often due to insecurity- as in not wanting to rock the boat for fear of being challenged? Is there a relationship between compassion and insecurity?
Yes. People who are insecure tend to lack compassion. It is the hard-edged type who speaks to me the loudest about having a lack of confidence.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:06 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,017,074 times
Some people can be just as hard or soft as a situation demands. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:17 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,837,797 times
This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
testosterone, as well as brain chemistry in general, probably plays a role. so does society and culture... not everyone grows up in the same circumstances, where social expectations are the same.
plus this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Eh, I've always thought of "soft" people as those who are easily hurt or wounded emotionally. I don't think it has anything to do with how they treat others, or their manner of speaking. And, many hard-edged people as you describe are only hard on the outside. Mentally, they can be fragile.

A "hard" person to me is someone who has mental strength to withstand extreme conditions without breaking down.
With one difference of opinion--a strong person can withstand extreme conditions w/o breaking down. Sometimes a hard person is brittle.

I'm your basic softie--cry easily, worry about what people think of me, all of it. Clinically I have too much estrogen in my body, which is probably why I'm like this. However I can be very strong in a crisis and folks at work were amazed at how well I weathered the knifing I received at school one day. My former SIL is a hard edged person but she falls apart at tough times and is often anxious, though she has a nice rather uneventful life.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:15 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,407,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
Some people can be just as hard or soft as a situation demands. The two are not mutually exclusive.
I agree with this. Also some people who come across as "hard-core" on the outside are the biggest softies on this inside.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:37 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,228,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
Being soft spoken or outspoken is not directly correlated with how confident a person is. Actions are ultimately what's important.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:29 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,837,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Being soft spoken or outspoken is not directly correlated with how confident a person is. Actions are ultimately what's important.
Heard this quote once and it's made me think ever since: “No one is a coward at all points.” C.S. Lewis, Surprised by Joy
Mainly what I think is that no one is anything at all points. No one is brave at all points. No one is weak at all points. No one is strong at all points.

Also, I am more drawn to people who have a quiet confidence--an air of authority that doesn't need to bully to get their point across.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships