Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:51 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,151,323 times

Advertisements

How do you handle come-on lines like this?

I'm not talking about a stranger going up to you, striking up a conversation, and then asking if you'd like to go out with them, based on the fact that the conversation may have sparked some chemistry between you two.

I'm talking about someone spotting you, becoming smitten by your looks, and then instead of introducing themselves to you and trying to start a conversation and common ground, just saying something along the lines of you being attractive/pretty/hot/sexy and wanting to go out with you. Basically they're asking you out because they think you look good.

Do you find this to be flattering or offensive?

This happened to me this morning. I went to the store for some milk and, out of the blue, the cashier told me how great I looked and that he'd like to go out with me. It was quite awkward because 1). his voice was somewhat loud and the people in the line next to mine could hear, and 2). I was with my son and he seemed uncomfortable with the exchange.

I declined his offer and he persisted for around another minute. I ultimately just said, "Thanks, but no thanks" and left.

Personally, I usually have no problem with a stranger trying to have a conversation with me, and if they ask me out and I'm not interested, I'll politely decline and not think anything of it. But in instances like this, where it's clear that someone is trying to ask me out based on them being attracted to me and nothing more, it's really awkward and uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 11:24 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,207,383 times
Must be the bare midriff shirts.

no, but depending on where it was at, I could go either way. if in front of a lot of people or with a kid, it'd be offensive. At a club or bar where I don't usually go I would find it flattering.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Must be the bare midriff shirts.

no, but depending on where it was at, I could go either way. if in front of a lot of people or with a kid, it'd be offensive. At a club or bar where I don't usually go I would find it flattering.
I wasn't wearing a bare midriff shirt. In fact, I had on a loose t-shirt and some wind pants.

I see your point, especially if it's at a club. I guess being at a club, lots of people who go there spend so much time on their appearance beforehand that they're just hoping that someone comes up to them because of their looks.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:29 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,286,177 times
I don't think his line was inappropriate or the fact that he based it off his physical attraction to you. It's not like he's going to say "I think you're charming and intelligent, I'd like to go on a date with you."

What I find inappropriate is for him to do it at work, if he's a supermarket cashier, and persisting after he was turned down. Does he have no self-respect?

Old 06-06-2011, 11:32 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,480,785 times
What I find offensive is that he did this in front of your child.

I guess it's somewhat flattering when someone finds you attractive. However, I would be offended if someone just asked to take me out because I look good. No thanks. If you don't know me or know anything about me and just want to date me because of how I look, what does that say about you?????

Old 06-06-2011, 11:34 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,448,109 times
Haha I asked a girl out like that once before marriage. Funny story, I use to walk to class and everyday saw this cute blond girl walking the opposite way, and one day built up the courage to ask.
So during the walk I see a blond girl sitting at a bus stop across the street, I thought it was her and cross the street towards her, as I walked up to her it struck me that this isnt the same girl! I ended up asking her anyway for her number, she said no, I told her she has pretty eyes and from tthat day forward took a new route to school.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
What I find offensive is that he did this in front of your child.

I guess it's somewhat flattering when someone finds you attractive. However, I would be offended if someone just asked to take me out because I look good. No thanks. If you don't know me or know anything about me and just want to date me because of how I look, what does that say about you?????
I think it says that he wanted an ego boost; that is, if I were to say, "Yes, let's go out". To me, it seems more like bragging rights as opposed to him actually taking an interest in me as a person (not that I think I'm hot or beautiful or anything; in fact, I think I'm quite average... but I guess in HIS eyes I look that way).

Old 06-06-2011, 11:35 AM

34,128 posts, read 83,117,043 times
cold call sales are like that too.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:40 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,097,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
How do you handle come-on lines like this?

I'm not talking about a stranger going up to you, striking up a conversation, and then asking if you'd like to go out with them, based on the fact that the conversation may have sparked some chemistry between you two.

I'm talking about someone spotting you, becoming smitten by your looks, and then instead of introducing themselves to you and trying to start a conversation and common ground, just saying something along the lines of you being attractive/pretty/hot/sexy and wanting to go out with you. Basically they're asking you out because they think you look good.

Do you find this to be flattering or offensive?

This happened to me this morning. I went to the store for some milk and, out of the blue, the cashier told me how great I looked and that he'd like to go out with me. It was quite awkward because 1). his voice was somewhat loud and the people in the line next to mine could hear, and 2). I was with my son and he seemed uncomfortable with the exchange.

I declined his offer and he persisted for around another minute. I ultimately just said, "Thanks, but no thanks" and left.

Personally, I usually have no problem with a stranger trying to have a conversation with me, and if they ask me out and I'm not interested, I'll politely decline and not think anything of it. But in instances like this, where it's clear that someone is trying to ask me out based on them being attracted to me and nothing more, it's really awkward and uncomfortable.

I get that at times..
I consider it a compliment. Then I say damn Im taken, my loss
Just handle it with class and good humor.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:40 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,106,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I wasn't wearing a bare midriff shirt. In fact, I had on a loose t-shirt and some wind pants.

I see your point, especially if it's at a club. I guess being at a club, lots of people who go there spend so much time on their appearance beforehand that they're just hoping that someone comes up to them because of their looks.
"Wind" pants?

You were gassy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships