Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does your GF/BF or SO have one of the following odor issues
Stinks all over and I'm done with him or her because of it? 2 10.00%
Ive brought it up and they have temperarily dealt with it but is back! 0 0%
Occasionally, smells bad after a long hike or other activity! 4 20.00%
My SO is always fresh and easy to be around with very rare exception. 14 70.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 03:51 PM

31,015 posts, read 22,056,089 times

Advertisements

I bring this up because it is normally a deal breaker for me: Bad breath, smelly arm pits or smelly elsewhere. It's very difficult to talk about without the other person feeling insulted when you bring it up, especially feminine Hygiene and I'm sure male hygene too.

Most woman I'm around are very good with their hygiene, but I did have a girlfriend that really needed to chew on gum regularly to keep her breath from souring. Also had one that did not clean the basement very well and it required constant reminder by me, Pugee!

I don't have a SO but from my experiences with woman I’ve dated number 4 fits the profile, and I always make sure I have minty breath and keep clean all over! I think woman may be a little better than men on this one.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 06-13-2011 at 04:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 04:29 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,659,312 times
Listen..if its my spouse, and he STINKS, you bet your ass that I`m gonna tell him~ I`m not gonna sit there, and act like he smells like a rose, when I wanna puke!

Old 06-13-2011, 04:41 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,813,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I bring this up because it is normally a deal breaker for me: Bad breath, smelly arm pits or smelly elsewhere. It's very difficult to talk about without the other person feeling insulted when you bring it up, especially feminine Hygiene and I'm sure male hygene too.

Most woman I'm around are very good with their hygiene, but I did have a girlfriend that really needed to chew on gum regularly to keep her breath from souring. Also had one that did not clean the basement very well and it required constant reminder by me, Pugee!

I don't have a SO but from my experiences with woman I’ve dated number 4 fits the profile, and I always make sure I have minty breath and keep clean all over! I think woman may be a little better than men on this one.
I'm trying to figure out if "clean the basement" is literal or metaphorical.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:55 PM

946 posts, read 2,918,076 times
Bad hygiene in general is a turn-off to me and I would be so turned off by bad breath or body odour that I wouldn't even reach the point of a relationship with that person. I never had that issue with my exes, they all smelled wonderful . Also, if someone needed chewing gum to keep their breath from going bad, then they have a deeper health issue that needs to be taken care of. Someone that's healthy and takes care of themselves won't be giving off strange odors :s. It's one thing to be sweaty and smell a little bad after a workout or doing heavy activity, and another to constantly smell bad and not take care of yourself.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:27 PM

31,015 posts, read 22,056,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
Bad hygiene in general is a turn-off to me and I would be so turned off by bad breath or body odour that I wouldn't even reach the point of a relationship with that person. I never had that issue with my exes, they all smelled wonderful . Also, if someone needed chewing gum to keep their breath from going bad, then they have a deeper health issue that needs to be taken care of. Someone that's healthy and takes care of themselves won't be giving off strange odors :s. It's one thing to be sweaty and smell a little bad after a workout or doing heavy activity, and another to constantly smell bad and not take care of yourself.
In this case it was a tin like taste. Maybe something lacking or too much of something in the diet. I remember taking a certain brand of Multi vitimin that made me smell terrible, even too myself! Maybe something similar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
I'm trying to figure out if "clean the basement" is literal or metaphorical.
That would be a yes!
Hence the expression "It's your turn to clean the basement"

Last edited by LS Jaun; 06-13-2011 at 06:24 PM..

Old 06-13-2011, 05:36 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,996,842 times
Gosh, I've never been in this spot and do not have an SO now. The last one was a clean freak and I loved his pheromones.

I did once work with someone who had a horrible problem and you could really smell her from a distance. She was talked to about it and claimed a medical problem.

I'd probably buy my SO some cologne or perfume and say something like "hon, why don't you get into the practice of making yourself squeaky clean on a regular basis and then wear this for me? Clean is so sexy."

Old 06-13-2011, 05:36 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,991,145 times
I do stink pretty badly when I get home from work.

But as soon as I take my shoes off I'm running to the shower. I hate to smell like that.

Other than that? no, I smell pretty damn good after most things.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:40 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,604,363 times
I don't recall ever dating anyone with an odor problem, but I don't expect people to smell shower fresh all the time either, so I don't think I'm that squeamish about this sort of thing. Maybe I've just been lucky in never encountering a truly smelly person?

Old 06-13-2011, 06:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
My SO is a runner (and I grew up in a household of carpenters). Sweat doesn't bother me. I don't think it stinks, either. In fact, my favorite thing to do is cuddle my SO when he gets back from one of his early morning runs. As long as people shower regularly, who cares? I don't find sweat to be unhygienic.

Now, somebody who's dirty/unsanitary? Different story altogether.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:13 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
Crazy thread....something smells!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships