Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 06:29 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,320,336 times

Advertisements

You lack the tact and the knowledge to respond to most of the people on this thread with an intelligent response. Your personal life is just that, personal. I really doubt anyone on this forum cares if you stay celibate for life. However, most people do get offended when you judge their lifestyle. If you are celibate for religous reasons, you are missing the point that Christians are supposed to be accepting and loving of all people. If you are celibate because so far you have not been in love, your opinions will likely change with more life experience. Either way, your opinions are yours to have, but you should not call people wrong for disagreeing with you.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:01 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,725,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Why do we people who try to explain to people that living together, having sex, having kids, etc. before marriage is wrong get hated on?

I realize that this thread is going to be hated by most, but I really want to know why when we try to tell people the reasons why we believe in certain traditions get labeled as "prudes?"

We take all kinds of crap from people and don't call them judgmental, but why is it that it can't go the other way?

Is it because those people know that what they're doing is wrong and they don't want to be called on it, so they label anyone who disagrees with their lifestyle as "prudes who won't get laid?"

No troll answers, please. I would like some reasonable explanations please.
- Because no one likes morality police.
- When you dish it out....better learn to take it
- You call them other things? You get called something.
- Wrong is a subjective word in adult land. Technically if you want to compare it to more conservative type values you walking around showing your face is wrong in some cultures. You can get stoned to death for wearing nailpolish in some cultures. Its old school acceptable to cut your wifes nose off in certain cultures.

So basically in summation we are all sinners to someone. Get over it unless they are affecting your life directly. Personal values are just that...personal.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:00 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,643,339 times
Quote:
Why do we people who try to explain to people that living together, having sex, having kids, etc. before marriage is wrong get hated on?
Right there.

Quote:
Is it because those people know that what they're doing is wrong and they don't want to be called on it, so they label anyone who disagrees with their lifestyle as "prudes who won't get laid?"
And you do it again here.

Quote:
Answered not with hate, merely observation.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:12 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,756,131 times
Here is my input;

Young people with no life experience shouldn't be going around telling anyone what is right or wrong. Apply your morals to your own life and keep your nose out of other people's lives.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:22 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,334,976 times
I don't care if people live together, have sex and all that jazz without being married. However, I do think when children are brought into the picture, there should be a strong commitment from the parents. That doesn't necessarily mean being married, but I think it's the parents responsiblity to make sure their children's legal rights as dependents are protected.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:23 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,318,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antlered chamataka View Post
you godless bastards are going to hell

lol!

Old 06-08-2011, 08:31 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,788,949 times
CancerianMoonPrincess, take a step back and absorb. Many of the posters who respond to you were raised in a generation when there were no home computers, no internet, no forums. In my case, as a child and into early adulthood, not even TV. I can only begin to imagine what an alien concept this must be for you.

If forums such as these were the norm that they are today I think I might possibly have made way less mistakes than I did since I was always an observer and a learner with a mind begging to absorb so many things about which I knew nothing. Through circumstances way out of my control I had no immediate mentors or role models and, when I left home at 16 to go off to work in London, England, I had no clue about much of anything. I learned the hard way and, at 65 years old, continue to learn.

Your generation has so much information right at your fingertips and yet it seems that so many of you fritter it away thinking that your present knowledge is the be-all and end-all. At 19 years old you believe that what you think and feel now about life in general is IT. It's not. Not at all.

To you, I and others even younger than I but considerably older than you, probably seem to you ancient has-beens whose words are irrelevant. We're not and they aren't. If the responsive words often come across as harsh, callous and personally offensive, read between the lines and try to understand that when you get to a certain age a spade becomes a spade.

Many of us have experienced life trials and tribulations which you couldn't even begin to imagine. We contribute to this forum and respond to young people such as you in the hope that we can help you both understand the mistakes we made and hope that via our own experiences we might enable you to avoid the excessive angst we've dealt with. We may not always carefully couch things in fluffy terms which can reach you. Sorry about that.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:37 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,882,939 times
Quote:

I realize that this thread is going to be hated by most, but I really want to know why when we try to tell people the reasons why we believe in certain traditions get labeled as "prudes?"

We take all kinds of crap from people and don't call them judgmental, but why is it that it can't go the other way?

very simple answer for you.......mind....your own.....BUSINESS, if you do that you'll find these things bother you a little less. Do you appreciate 'sinners' calling you a prude for not having sex..I would guess no, so why can't you just ignore what other people are doing and live your own life?

Old 06-08-2011, 09:40 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,318,210 times
Another thing...

I said you have a narrow worldview...and... you do.

I'd never call you a prude. That wouldn't be polite.

Accepting that others aren't going to share the same values as you is just a part of being accepting of our differences as human beings.

That's really all I meant.

I'd never suggest that you should personally rethink your stance on this particular issue, as it is a very personal issue.

You do what you feel is most comfortable.

I think that the only times you may find that people will give you a hard time about it are:

1) When you attempt to foist your beliefs upon others, or judge them in any way
2) When a guy who wants you to have sex with him before marriage is let down when you refuse.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:50 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,015,879 times
You have a right to your opinion. I'm fine with your opinion but I do not share it. Experience teaches many things, one of the most humbling is just how often you were wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.